Author Topic: SSS speakers and HU question  (Read 6261 times)

Offline csimpson

• antrx.com junior member
SSS speakers and HU question
« on: Apr 20, 2007, 03:47PM »
Hey guys,

I just got a '95 Bluebird SSS a few days ago, and I've got a few questions relating to the stereo system setup. Mods feel free to close or consolidate this somewhere if there's a better place for it to be. I had a little search, but didn't find anything much :)

OK, a few issues. Basically, I think the speakers, amps and/or HU are on their way out. It's the 'premium' system, which means it has tweeters (dunno anything about them) in the A-pillars, 5"x7"s in the doors, and 6"x9"s in the rear parcel shelf, with a 50w (?) Clarion amp for each 6"x9" mounted on the bottom of the parcel shelf.

The tweeters sound fine. The 5x7s distort at any hint of bass, and distort at any volume above speaking level. The 6x9s crackle awfully and cut in and out (and thus they're unplugged for the moment) too, which I think might be thanks to the little amps dying.

My question is basically related to the installation of a new headunit and speakers. Apparently I can fit 6"s in the doors with a bit of work, so I imagine I'd be picking up some 6" splits, 6x9s and a new head-unit. Herein lie my questions:

1. How would I go about wiring the tweeters in - in parallel to the 6"s, to the front outputs of the HU? Or through some other method...?

2. Supposing I ditch the rear amps, would the power of the headunit (assuming 50w x 4 for all the speakers) be sufficient to drive some Jaycar 6x9s (for example) decently? Would the wiring from HU to the parcel shelf need to be changed?

3. Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions on a good cheap HU (I'm thinking ~$150-~$200ish, second hand is OK) and decent quality speakers. Especially looking for opinions on the Jaycar Response range (not Kevlar) :)

Thanks fellas.  I'll have some interior shots of the HU and speakers up soon, but for now here's a nice exterior shot or two. Not in bad condition after 12 years, considering it's the original paint :)

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
Re: SSS speakers and HU question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:01PM »
1) not sure how factory sound system works with the tweeters, but you will need to get a crossover to run them with the midbass speakers. this is something that pretty much filters out the freq to only what the crossover can handle

2) ive heard many rear 6x9 running of headunit and they sound just fine. thats all you really need for the back anyways

3) no idea for this one, sorry :P

looks like u got urself a series 2 sss there. looks clean as. how much an km's?

also just an off topic question, what colour is your a-pillar plastic? i know the interior of series 2 are black but is the a-pillar black as well? got a gauge holder which is black and gonna look suck on a grey a-pillar like mine lol
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:12PM »
Firstly I think that re-wiring the stereo is a good idea to avoid confusion with the factory amp. (I was lucky - my SSS came with the boring sound system and thus no amps)

1) you'll need a crossover for the tweeters although if you buy a set 6" splits they'll come with crossovers and tweeter and you can ditch the factory stuff.

2) the 50w x 4 rating given to head units are a maximum power rating, in reality it's more like 16wrms x4, even so this is more then enough power to sufficiently drive 6x9's. Although it depends what you're after, running off the h/u would be a huge improvement over stock - and then again if you were to also add in a 4 channel amp to power your speakers, or even just a 2 channel for the fronts, there will again be a jump in performance. But as i said it depends on what you want and your budget.

3) Head unit i'ld be looking at sony/clarion and maybe pioneer in that price range. Speakers not so sure, i havn't had a whole lot of experience with the jaycar speakers.

Off-topic @ lup15 I have a black holder on a grey pillar - i think it looks fine, i'll pm some pics in a second.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline csimpson

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:12PM »
180000kms, which is about average for a car of this age from what I can work out.

Also, from what I remember, the A-pillar is grey. I'll check this evening to make sure (I'm at work at the moment :))

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2007, 07:41PM »
if your speakers are crackling at a hint of bass its either because they're old and worn, or the wires are damanged, a good cost effective way to find out is to run new wires, then you know everything is nice and new if you do swap the speakers after all.

The jaycar non-kevlar speakers are shit, hardly worth the boxes they come packaged in, no joke. If you're interested in a set of 6" kevlar splits let me know, I can send them to you for less than they are in the shop.

In regards to a deck, try to find yourself a 2nd hand pioneer, best bang for your buck in that price range, the latest model of JVC decks are movin on up in regards to quality too. If you want really good sound quality and can go without mp3 go pick up a basic eclipse deck brand new, mp3 ones cost a little bit more than you're budget.

Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline greenbird

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2007, 12:36AM »
With regards to the decks, i've learnt something in the last couple of weeks....
I have a Sony head unit in my car and when i switch to CD, my electric aerial goes down.
Pioneer decks don't have this function. Basically, as soon as you turn on the deck, the aerial goes up and stays up. I'm not sure if the 'higher end' more expensive Pioneer decks can control the aerial, but i've been told that the cheaper ones can't.
This probably won't matter to most people, but i like the fact that my Sony deck puts the aerial down when its not needed.....
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2007, 04:45PM »
my alpine does it. i cant remember what the functions called but is certainly something to look out for as its pretty annoying if it doesnt have it.
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2007, 09:20PM »

This probably won't matter to most people, but i like the fact that my Sony deck puts the aerial down when its not needed.....

Im sure the antenna can just be wired up to the AC setting on ignition or something simliar.
But having it activate when the radio comes on or off, like changing to cd mode, is good.
I have a spare electric antenna from a mazda 929 if some one wants it
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2007, 01:29PM »
With regards to the decks, i've learnt something in the last couple of weeks....
I have a Sony head unit in my car and when i switch to CD, my electric aerial goes down.
Pioneer decks don't have this function. Basically, as soon as you turn on the deck, the aerial goes up and stays up. I'm not sure if the 'higher end' more expensive Pioneer decks can control the aerial, but i've been told that the cheaper ones can't.
my eclipse deck had 2 output wires on it, one was specifically for the antenna, and switched off in cd mode, the other was just for the amps and was on when the deck was on.
I'm pretty sure my JVC has it too, but yea low model pioneers what do you expect?
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2007, 05:09PM »
The tweeters sound fine. The 5x7s distort at any hint of bass, and distort at any volume above speaking level. The 6x9s crackle awfully and cut in and out (and thus they're unplugged for the moment) too, which I think might be thanks to the little amps dying.

The crackling sound is most likely the speakers dying. It's pretty common in Nissans over 10 or so years old.

1. How would I go about wiring the tweeters in - in parallel to the 6"s, to the front outputs of the HU? Or through some other method...?

The factory tweeters will already be wired in parallel to the front speaker wiring.

2. Supposing I ditch the rear amps, would the power of the headunit (assuming 50w x 4 for all the speakers) be sufficient to drive some Jaycar 6x9s (for example) decently? Would the wiring from HU to the parcel shelf need to be changed?

Yeah, the head unit will power 6x9s fine, but an amp will make a world of difference.

If you've got your head screwed on properly you should be able to work out what wires to bridge over on the amplifier plugs so you can use the factory speaker wiring for the rears.

3. Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions on a good cheap HU (I'm thinking ~$150-~$200ish, second hand is OK) and decent quality speakers. Especially looking for opinions on the Jaycar Response range (not Kevlar) :)

In my experience Pioneer, Kenwood and Eclipse make quite good head units with respect to reliability, build quality and sound quality.

As has been said above some decks have separate amp and antenna control wires, others have only an amplifier wire which is on whenever the deck is on. All Pioneers except for double din audio-only models have one wire, whereas most Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Alpine and Eclipse decks have two wires. If you do buy a Pioneer you can always put in a separate switch on the remote wire to control the antenna.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2007, 11:49PM »
If you do buy a Pioneer you can always shoot yourself cos they suck, but then theres always sony
thats better

lol  ;D

Offline csimpson

« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2007, 02:34PM »
Alrighty fellas, I think I've established that the headunit is OK, and the front speakers are to blame. I'll probably drop by Strathfield (ugh, I know) tomorrow afternoon to pick up some cheap 6's to put in the front doors. I'll leave the stock tweeters in there for the time being, and deal with the 6x9s when i have more money.

Now, speaker choice. I'm not sure if anyone has much experience at the lower end of the audio market, but here's what Strathfield has to offer for nice and cheap:

(LINKS)
Pioneer TS-G1611R - $34 for a pair
JBL CS2165 - $58 for a pair
Kenwood kfc-m1628a - $79 for a pair.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm leaning towards the JBLs at the moment, but I'm obviously swayable.

Thanks fellas :)

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2007, 03:22PM »
csimpson, if you manage to get a set of tweeters that fit into the stock mounts, not having to be glued to the column could you let me know.
Thanks
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline csimpson

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2007, 05:17PM »
Yeah, sure, if I come across some that fit I'll let you know :)

Now I just have to find out how to fit 6"s into the 5x7" bracket. :)

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:08PM »
are they 5x7's or 6x4's?? JBL make some weird shaped speakers to fit, I think eclipse do too. They would both be around the $100-$200 mark.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:14PM »
I'm fairly sure they're 5x7's in the bluebirds, I have JBL 5x7's (i think - MAY be 4x6's)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:24PM »
6x9's. thats what i have. I didnt install them i got them with the car, replaced 3 months before i bought car.
JVC CS-V6920 on
http://www.precisioncarsound.co.nz/jvcfull.htm
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:25PM »
in front or the back? we're talking about the front kim

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:28PM »
Sorry my fault for not reading and remebering lol.
JVC up the back, the fronts i have no idea, but i dont recomend them because the tweeters that came with really sux
Soon to be replaced, actually i remeber the guy from alberts telling me they were sony's. definitely gettin ripped out if they are sonys >:(
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:45PM »
Out of those 3 choices I'd definitely go for the JBLs.

Have you looked at MTX's THX603 speakers? They are a great value for money speaker, and considering they've just been discontinued you should be able to pick up a set for a good price if anyone still has em in stock.

http://www.strathfield.com/ViewProduct.asp?ProdID=1755
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline csimpson

« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2007, 10:51PM »
I've actually decided to spend a little more and get the Jaycar Kevlar Response splits... I heard some in my mate's Magna and was very impressed... did some more looking around today as well and nothing sounded superior in my pricerange to the Jaycars. Since they're splits they come with a tweeter too, which I'll most likely leave on the woofer itself (since I'm not the hugest fan of having tweeters blaring right in my face).

The only two questions left to be answered are: Will they fit alright in the plastic door brackets? and How do I disconnect the A-pillar tweeters from the headunit? :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:37PM »
Pull the A-pillar trim off and you should be able to unplug the factory tweeters from their wiring.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!