Author Topic: Front suspension strut mounts  (Read 8401 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Front suspension strut mounts
« on: Jul 21, 2015, 12:51PM »
I am relacing the front strut mounts as the rubber inside has all perished and cracked.

What a drama....

Fulcrum suspension didn't even have parts for Pintaras on their system, though Bursons and Auto One supply a strut mount for the 2.4 litre Pintara and for the 2.0 litre also ($65 round figures each).  Pedders quote a Nissan genuine part and Nissan quote $275 per mount.....

So I bought the strut mount for the 2.4 Pintara.  turns out this mount is 15mm higher than the mount already on the car.  (I cant work out how to get some pictures of the mounts onto this thread but the back of the mount where the bearing sits is different).

I then looked at the pictures for the 2.0litre Pintara mount and it looks pretty much like the mounts on the car.  The guy from Fulcrum reckoned the pictures of the 2.0litre mounts looked right so I have ordered them in.

Does anyone know if the TRX uses different strut mounts to the non-TRX?  I am thinking that maybe there are different mounts used to drop the car by the 15mm difference in height? 

Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
Re: Front suspension strut mounts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2015, 12:56PM »
By the way the Bursons / Auto 1 part numbers are:

2.4 litre Pintara SM-6750B
2.0 litre Pintara SM-6748B

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2015, 09:04PM »
OK... lets see if this works.  Using Noss' 'special place' I have uploaded some pics of the two mounts - the old one is off the car, the new looking one is the part supplied for the 2.4 litre Pintara.

The new mount has a 15mm height difference which apparently would change the ride height of the car.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/image/tt
http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/image/to
http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/image/tp
http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/image/t2

Once I get the 2.0 litre strut mounts tomorrow I will post a pic.  I hope it is the same as existing!

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2015, 10:57AM »
The 2.0 litre strut mounts came in... they were even higher than the 2.4 litre strut mounts.  Also they had a slightly smaller PCD on the mounting bolts so they probably wouldn't even fit on the car.

In the end I went with the 2.4 litre strut mounts even though they are 10 to 15 mm higher than the TRX mounts on the car already.  It might alter the ride height slightly but perhaps it wont be enough to make a large visual difference - here's hoping.

I also had some minor problems with the rear sway bay bushes.  The bushes mentioned for the 2.4litre Pintara were too small on the internal diameter to fit the sway bar mounting bolts.  They were easily swapped out for bushes that fit, but this and the strut mount issue serve to  highlight that many parts are listed for the 2.0 litre and 2.4 litre Pintara, but no separate designation is made for the TRX components despite that fact that they are different!

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2015, 11:17AM »
Got the struts back in the car.  Doesn't look too different.  The ride height looks like it could be marginally high, but maybe that is because I am expecting it or looking for it.

Once I get a roadworthy I will get a steering alignment and full wheel alignment given that I have had struts out, tie rod ends off (replacing power steer boots) and rear sway bar off (exhaust repairs and sway bar bushes).

I could always get some lowered springs I guess.....

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2015, 12:36PM »
I converted mine to S13 / S14 by using a laser cut plate to that is welded on top of the strut tower.

The inner most hole (toward the centreline of the car) is used to locate it, then the other 2 holes in the plate can be used as a guide to elongate the existing holes in the strut tower sheetmetal.

Once you're happy with them, the plate can be welded to the strut tower.

Not something that is reversible, but suspension for the S13 / S14 is more readily available, especially coilovers.

I think my rears are now using a Subaru top mount on a Toyota 86 front strut (was the right length that was closest to the U12 factory rear strut). I had to drill new mounting holes for the Subaru top mount, as there was nothing close that could be used near the stock U12 rear mount location.

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2015, 09:19AM »
I've actually got a set of new kyb rear strut tops sitting in the garage 

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2015, 10:49AM »
Thanks for the feedback. 

As the car is for a p-plater (my son) I don't want to do any mods that will make insurance more expensive than it is already!  The insurance company had questions about engine and suspension mods, so good to be able to say no modifications have been done!

Also the rear strut tower mounts aren't needed, thanks all the same.

In looking at some of the pics of other TRX's, I would like to do a 2 inch drop on the front to give the car a better stance - but am concerned about ground clearance over speed humps and parking kerbs etc.  There is already some lower lip damage on the front spoiler.

Anyway, car is on the road and running well (thanks to a lot of info from this site!).  I had some encouraging comments from the guy doing the roadworthy and also the suspension mechanic who wheel aligned it.  Both were older guys who said things along the line of 'these things were the go back in the day' - nice to have some recognition of some classic late 80s cool!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2015, 07:58PM »
Nice! They are a reliable, reasonably fuel efficient old beast. Just 'unsafe' when it comes to things like ABS and airbags. When the common issues such as rear engine mount, shifter bushes, 2500rpm flat spot are ironed out they will go and go for 400,000km plus without a drama.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Aug 1, 2015, 03:37PM »
Ha!  Done the engine mounts and shifter bushes obviously a common thing.  I have noticed that the gear lever still slops around though.  I have put a stiffer spring on the neutral return, but wonder if the gear lever mount needs replacing?

I notice what you mean with the flat spot as the car will get a surge of acceleration after 2500.  I thought it was maybe the engine coming on cam.  It revs freely to 5500 but thereafter sounds very harsh.  Is there a tune that irons out the flat spot?

Overall the car does drive nicely.  Gave it a decent punt up and down some twisties and was impressed with the handling of a 25 year old car.  Certainly easier to push than my BA falcon wagon!

Would be nice to have ABS and airbags but my son and I got the car on the road for $2,500 (round figures) so a cheap first car.  I actually wanted a TRX back in the 90s - had a 2 ltr Bluebird at the time (showing my age there...!) so a bit ironic that me son has one now.

I am recording the kms for the next fuel fill up so I can look at the fuel consumption, but have noticed the fuel gauge dropping quite quick... Probably an inaccurate sender.  Litres per 100 km at the next fill will be the true measure.  What typically does the 2.4 do?  I was thinking around 10 litres per 100 k?
« Last Edit: Aug 1, 2015, 03:59PM by FNQ TRX »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Aug 1, 2015, 06:42PM »
I was getting between 10.5-11 with the TRX when it was my daily.

Last time out at Winton in the black U12, I managed approx 27l/100km. :D

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Aug 2, 2015, 02:10PM »
Should be around 8L/100km on the highway or less
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline deviate

« Reply #12 on: Aug 4, 2015, 03:57PM »
Funnily enough I've also got a set of low king springs and Munroe get struts in the garage too. I really should do a clean out

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #13 on: Aug 4, 2015, 04:43PM »
So you tell me AFTER I have had the struts out and the wheel alignment done! :)

Offline deviate

« Reply #14 on: Aug 5, 2015, 08:51AM »
Lol

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #15 on: Aug 5, 2015, 06:25PM »
I have done some fuel economy trials.

Around town with aircon on (and i think too much heavy acceleration... ::)) it was 12 litres per 100 km (200km travelled so not very far to get a decent recording) and today I averaged 9 litres per 100 km over 220 highway kms. (Aircon on and a few hills).

I will let the tank go empty and measure again in a couple of weeks.  Seems about right so far I guess though possibly a bit high?
« Last Edit: Aug 5, 2015, 06:27PM by FNQ TRX »

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #16 on: Aug 8, 2015, 07:46PM »
PM Noss about a chip. get rid of thet flat spot and other goodness happens. ;D
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline deviate

« Reply #17 on: Aug 8, 2015, 11:04PM »
Or you could buy my high comp ka24de, I average 9l/100 with a very heavy foot. Oh it comes with a free trx

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2015, 01:57PM »
I will follow up on a chip.... though I don't want to have to have insurance drama's for my p-plater son.  Anyone had any negative experience with insurance companies on account of the chip?

Also I threw a set of new plugs in it and will see how that improves economy.  Old plugs were quite black, so not burning to well.  The leads are quite new and the timing seems OK (starts easily, idles smoothly) though I don't have a timing light - but I will try and run a light over it soon.

As to acquiring a KE24DE.... well my next son is coming up to his L plates soon and also talking about getting a car we can tidy up together.  Another TRX would be interesting though I don't want the boys racing each other ("no dad, we would never do that....!" ;))

Offline deviate

« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2015, 02:46PM »
Haha. You won't have any insurance issues with the chip, they'll never even know it's there

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2015, 02:20AM »
ya the chip is stock as looking wise and they will never know, even if you told them, they probably couldnt find it. ::)
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 2015, 07:23PM »
Or you could buy my high comp ka24de, I average 9l/100 with a very heavy foot. Oh it comes with a free trx

I have pm'd you.  Turns out my younger son is interested.

I may end up with two of these things killing my lawn....

Just wait till all you young guys get over 40, you too will become concerned about the important things in life like fuel economy, insurance and lawn condition. :o

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2015, 05:25PM »
Far out... Getting some pretty bad Fuel consumption.

52 litres in 370 kms for 14 litre per 100 kms.

Even driving hard those are pretty bad numbers.  I checked the ecu for error codes - nothing.

Plugs and leads are new, air filter is new, idles smoothly, starts easily but I am yet to run a timing light over it... Though
I don't think that the timing would that far off to cause such excessive fuel burn.

Any thoughts? ???
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015, 06:52PM by FNQ TRX »

Offline squizz taylor

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:38AM »
A couple of things to look at

1.      Check your timing first, it could actually be that simple.
2.      What temp is the engine getting to. If it does not get warm enough, it will stay in the warm up enrichment mode, burning excess fuel. Temp should be around halfway on the gauge as a guide. If you have previously removed the thermostat, put it back in, it needs it, if it hasn't been changed yet, probably would be a good idea to change it.
3.      Run the 02 sensor check, the light should flicker rapidly when you run the test if the sensor is healthy.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2015, 10:34AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I will get a timing light today (1/2 price at Supercheap at the moment!) and will check out the timing.  I agree, timing could be contributing to high fuel burn.

Good idea on the warm up mode... hadn't considered it.  When driving the temp gauge does get to halfway, sometimes around 3/4 if stuck in traffic before the fans kick in, but generally runs with the needle between the indicators.  I am running a thermostat and I think it is OK, mind you, it is cheap and easy enough to replace.

It is only being driven 10kms from home to school and then back again so could it be running in enrichment mode for around half the trip each way.  Also I found out that my son hasn't been using 5th gear when on the arterial route driving at 80km/h - so that would also impact economy! :D

However, after having done the ECM fault test (code 55 = all good) the car seems to be running a whole lot smoother....! what gives?  I am wondering if it was in a fault condition and in an open loop and now it is controlling???

Also after doing the error code test I left the ECU diagnostic in mode 2 and the ECM light was flashing as I was driving (Mode 2 is the O2 sensor test if I have read the FSM correctly?) so I assume the senor is OK.  I then turned the screw back to half way between fully clockwise and fully anti-clockwise and the ECM light stays off.

The idle could be little high (1000 -1200 rpm when cold and around 850-900 when warm) but not enough for me to fuss with it, though I will see what the engine timing is like and maybe adjust back once timing is sorted.

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 10:59AM by FNQ TRX »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Aug 19, 2015, 11:33AM »
Thermostat is stuck open - it won't be warming up in that 10km trip each way so it'll be running mostly in the CLT enrichment tables due to the low coolant temps.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #26 on: Aug 19, 2015, 01:11PM »
ok thanks - will check that.

Got a timing light and ran it over the engine.  Bang on 15° before TDC as per the FSM so no issues there.

Also the FSM says to adjust the idle on the idle screw - where is that?  Is this the adjustment on the throttle linkage?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Aug 19, 2015, 02:02PM »
No, it's the plastic flat head screw on the other end of the plenum just below the coolant bleed bolt.

Did you disconnect the TPS when you checked timing?

Procedure is:
1) Disconnect Grey TPS plug
2) Start engine
3) Adjust idle to 750 rpm +/- 50 rpm (I think it's 750!)
4) Check timing using plug lead one for your timing light pickup.

It should be 15 deg if you do all this.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #28 on: Aug 19, 2015, 02:08PM »
Cool.  I thought I found the idle adjustment screw - what I was looking at was what I now guess is the throttle stop.  That screw set-up for that  is as tight as all get out so I would have needed to play with that after work tonight... however  I found the little plug / screw you mentioned.  Would have never figured that for an idle adjustment!  

Sorry for being ignorant, but the TPS lead - is that the throttle position sensor?  I unplugged the grey electrical plug and set the idle to about 750-800 rpm, but as soon as I plugged the grey plug back in the idle immediately jumped to around 950-1000 rpm and no amount of winding the idle adjuster plug in seems to drop the idle speed.  Also when switching the aircon on with the grey plug disconnected the motor nearly stalled (as expected) and when switching the aircon with the grey plug back in, there is no appreciable change in the engine idle (stays around 1000 rpm).  Could there be a signal to the throttle to stay at high idle and what would it be from? So I am a little perplexed as to why the idle speed will increases once the TPS is plugged back in. The FSM says that the output voltage of the TPS can be adjusted by rotating the sensor body...  I will have to have more of a look and maybe a play with a multimeter to see if I can work out what is going on - almost like it needs recalibration.

Anyway, I ran the timing light over the motor at 800 rpm and the ignition is between 8 to 10° before top dead centre, so I will retime that tonight and the I guess reset the idle!

Also while looking around I found a small diameter black vacuum hose coming out of a black plastic canister that is not connected to anything.  One hose going into the black canister thingy comes from that confusing looking vacuum manifold (the one with the solenoids and hoses going everywhere).  The hose in question has what looks like a white in-line filter in it  / on it and goes no where?  I cant find anywhere its seems to belong?  Would incorrect plumbing of all those vacuum / breather lines be the cause of high fuel consumption?

Finally, the car had been idling for some time in an enclosed carport and it did smell as if it was running quite rich.  I will have a play tonight but I think a trip to a garage for a proper diagnosis and tune up may be in order!
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 03:02PM by FNQ TRX »

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2015, 04:40PM »
Thread is now way off topic!

I had a chat to an auto electrician friend and he gave me some good feedback.  he was busy and he doesn't have a 'Consult' as described in the FSM and wasn't sure if his scanning equipment would interface or work with the Pintara (being 25 years old :o)

He said then even though the inbuilt error checking may say no errors, he said that the oxygen sensor could be stuffed allow the car to either run I open loop mode, or run rich all the time.  I checked with Supercheap and an 02 sensor is $43 -so cheap enough to just try it.

Regarding the high idle speed the suggestion is that the TPS could be stuffed or dirty or stuck or something.  I will pull it off and give it a clean and try again.  Around $80 on ebay for a TPS - assuming that is the issue.

I will let you now how I get on.