Author Topic: Cool engines  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Falcon

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
Cool engines
« on: Jul 25, 2005, 01:58PM »
Hey all,
         I have been reading alot about engine cooling and how to achieve beter results.  Even to the extent of removing the thermostat for constant cooling.
       The basic purpose of the thermostat is to control the MINIMUM temperature of the water/coolant.  So anyone thinking of doing away with their thermostat, don't.  mine was stuck open and left me at just uner 25% temp after 15 mins operation.  This sucks fuel like there is no tommorrow.  All fixed now, the old girl works really well.

Note on the two little dots in the centre of the KA24e temp gauge.  They indicate the normal operating temperature range. This is the ideal range for your engine temp.  It brings into play all sorts of engine subsystems such as auto choke, oil viscosity, fuel flow, engine clearences.  Never rev a cold engine and never overcool an engine.

Also a note for coolant itself.  Running an overdiluted corrosion inhibitor in your coolant creates corrosion hot spots in your system where corrosion will become concentrated.  It is best to use the correct mix of coolant or if that is not possible, no coolant at all. (Just water)

BTW - the thermostat on the KA24e is a right royal pain in the #&^ to replace.

ROB.