Author Topic: Mechanic Quote - Long List of Fixes!  (Read 3597 times)

Offline sticks1977

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Mechanic Quote - Long List of Fixes!
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:35AM »
I am not that mechanically minded when it comes to my old faithful 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX. This morning I have taken it to a local mechanic near work in Scoresby, VIC and knew that it needed a service and a bit of work done.

He has just got back to me with a rather long list of things that need to be done, he has estimated it will cost around $2,400 for everything to be fixed/replaced... the list is provided below.

Front and Rear Brakes, discs machined
Brake Fluid
Rear Shock Absorber
CV Inner Boots
Rack Boots
Rear Torque Mount
Rocket Cover
4 x new tyres (all four on the car are nearly bald)
Wheel Alignment

The mechanic has mentioned that the main costs are the front and rear brakes ($490; $295 each) and the shock absorber (est. $600?), and the tyres (Kelly A868 @ $95 each)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated - I am in two minds whether to go ahead with the entire list of things as I am going to keep the car for approximately another 12 months. It has been a very reliable and wonderful car to own and in many ways I don't want to take my chance with another used car without knowing the mechanical history.

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: Mechanic Quote - Long List of Fixes!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47AM »
I am not that mechanically minded when it comes to my old faithful 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX. This morning I have taken it to a local mechanic near work in Scoresby, VIC and knew that it needed a service and a bit of work done.

He has just got back to me with a rather long list of things that need to be done, he has estimated it will cost around $2,400 for everything to be fixed/replaced... the list is provided below.

Front and Rear Brakes, discs machined
Brake Fluid
Rear Shock Absorber
CV Inner Boots
Rack Boots
Rear Torque Mount
Rocket Cover
4 x new tyres (all four on the car are nearly bald)
Wheel Alignment

The mechanic has mentioned that the main costs are the front and rear brakes ($490; $295 each) and the shock absorber (est. $600?), and the tyres (Kelly A868 @ $95 each)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated - I am in two minds whether to go ahead with the entire list of things as I am going to keep the car for approximately another 12 months. It has been a very reliable and wonderful car to own and in many ways I don't want to take my chance with another used car without knowing the mechanical history.

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Rotors, buy brand new and fit yourself plus bleeding and fluid ($350)
Rear struts done yourself ($300)
Cv boots yourself ($30)
Rack boots ($40)
Rocker cover ($9) just use high temp silicone.
Tires around ($400)
Torque mount (engine mount ?) (say $100) all done yourself.

Research, play and do it yourself to save big $$$
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21PM »
Shaun, which mechanic is it? If it is Redpath, take it elsewhere. My parents use a mechanic that is behind where Woods panel beaters are, next to Gully Garden supplies. They are pretty happy with his work. Owners name is Daniel from memory.

For tyres, give wheeltech in Dandenong a call, Laurence (lgee on here) is the owner so he should be able to help you out.

EDIT: Mechanic I am referring to is Too Right Automotive; get him to quote on it if you haven't got the car there already.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:33PM by SSS »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36PM »
Machining rotors should not be that expensive either; last time I had some done I believe they were about $30 each (however, I had taken them off the car and directly to the workshop that machined them down for me).

Do you have any friends / relos that are handy with a spanner that can help you out? Most of that stuff is fairly simple, but can be daunting for someone with not much experiene working on cars.

Offline sticks1977

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:37PM »
The mechanic is BC Service Centre just next to Tyrepower in Scoresby.

I was pretty happy with their service last time I took my car there - mainly due to the location and being close to work.

Update: just had a call to say that the piston is all rusted, one of them has to be replaced so I'm up for more $$$...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49PM »
Sorry, haven't had any experience with those mech's.

Sort the tyres and brakes first, the other stuff is not so critical.

Unfortunately, if you can't do the work yourself on the car, it really does end up becoming very uneconomical to pay out the value of the car on repairs.....

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:01PM »
I've got spare front calipers, I cold pull the pistons out and send to you so it's cheaper on parts ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39PM »
what size tyres do you need?

Offline sticks1977

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:21PM »
Thanks all for the replies - I went down to see the mechanic at lunchtime as he will be having the car overnight - he showed me the piston that is worn and also showed me other areas of the car that were being worked on.

The mechanic is getting a piston sent to the workshop, he has only gone off measurements so if it turns out to be the wrong one I will take you up on the offer Pure_Sincerity  :)

The tyres I need are 195/65/R14 - Tyrepower is next door so will probably be getting the tyres through them (Kelly AP868 from memory). I figure I may as well bite the bullet and go ahead with all the repairs... I am not that mechanically minded and don't really have any immediate family members or friends that are useful when it comes to mechanical repairs.

After it's back in shape though I might read up and even purchase a book or two (Gregory's?) and start to learn a bit about the car myself to save $ in the future.

I just hope that I do not receive any more surprise phone calls - mechanically not much has gone wrong with it over the years so I guess I am just paying for the reliability of it now.

Regards, Shaun

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59PM »
Thanks all for the replies - I went down to see the mechanic at lunchtime as he will be having the car overnight - he showed me the piston that is worn and also showed me other areas of the car that were being worked on.

The mechanic is getting a piston sent to the workshop, he has only gone off measurements so if it turns out to be the wrong one I will take you up on the offer Pure_Sincerity  :)

The tyres I need are 195/65/R14 - Tyrepower is next door so will probably be getting the tyres through them (Kelly AP868 from memory). I figure I may as well bite the bullet and go ahead with all the repairs... I am not that mechanically minded and don't really have any immediate family members or friends that are useful when it comes to mechanical repairs.

After it's back in shape though I might read up and even purchase a book or two (Gregory's?) and start to learn a bit about the car myself to save $ in the future.

I just hope that I do not receive any more surprise phone calls - mechanically not much has gone wrong with it over the years so I guess I am just paying for the reliability of it now.

Regards, Shaun

The main cost in your list is the labour of the mechanic. As other guys have said on the forums, with parts alone and you doing the work you will save money. However you need the tools to do it and unless you are working on cars a lot it may not be worth it.

Probably around $800 or a bit more in parts. Just get use out of your car now :)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07AM »
Shaun, supercheap stock front / rear rotors for $41 ea for fronts / $39 ea for rears.

Not worth getting rotors machined when new ones are that cheap.