Author Topic: 4 wheel dyno tuning  (Read 2325 times)

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
4 wheel dyno tuning
« on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:19AM »
could anyone give me details on where to find a 4 wheel dyno tune place, been finding it hard eh, i live in newcastle NSW,

help would be greatly appreciated.   ;)

another stupid question though can you just go to your local mechanic to get your AF ratios done or is it better to get it done on dyno.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: 4 wheel dyno tuning
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:24AM »
www.yellowpages.com.au

I doubt that most mechanics will have a wideband O2 setup available unless they have a dyno in their workshop.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:52PM »
u can actually buy wideband o2 sensor kits and get appropriate software for them, plus do a bunch of logging for it too. road tuning isn't really recommended though, however one of my mates did many to get 300rwhp out of his internally standard rb20det at an EXTREMELY steady 11.7afr all the way through the rev range up to 8000rpm, so it can be done (that's a re-mapped stock ecu too).

you're in newcastle though, not exactly a real long way from sydney is it? not like me living 1600km from a capital :D

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:01PM »
www.dyno.com.au

thats the dyno dynamics website, they have a listing of there nearest dynos on the site, check that out. for best results with your afr's get it dynoed plain and simple.

other than that look in a few magazines like High performance Imports, Zoom etc etc, they have lots of info on places to do tuning.

but if you want a place that will be able to do it no probs then you might have to make a trip to sydney. check out RX engineering in thornton, i think thats where they are anyways. cant remember what kinda dyno they have, but if theres isnt a AWD one, they'll point you to where you can go

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:15AM »
u can actually buy wideband o2 sensor kits and get appropriate software for them, plus do a bunch of logging for it too.

Best $700 i ever spent ;D

I prefer road tuning over dyno tuning, 1, it's no where near as expensive once you have the wideband gear, and 2, you are tuning in actual conditions not simulated conditions.

Offline speedshed001

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2006, 03:34AM »
road tuning is better left for light load and cruise not for power tuning
what u cant see on the road is if that change actulally made a difference
for eg i had a car that i added 1deg of timing made 3hp added another and it lost 5hp
u cant feel that on the road and it is also very dangerous

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2006, 08:50AM »
You also can't feel a 3hp increase even if you see it on the dyno.

I use my gtech pro RR when i'm tuning. I'm after ACTUAL on-road increases in acceleration, not what result i can get at one dyno, that will then be different to another dyno's result.

If you have free access to a dyno, well you are very lucky, but for someone like myself i cannot justify several hundred dollars at a time in dyno sessions. It's easier for me to find a flat stretch of road out in the middle of a deserted industrial estate and perform my datalogging there.

Offline speedshed001

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2006, 04:05AM »
never said i had free access, and no i understand that u cant feel 3hp it was an example of what can be seen using a dyno
if at 10 deg isnt optimal for the engine why be there. when i tune im not after the absoute best horse power figure it is about finding what works with a certain engine combination and tuning around the torque curve of the engine.
the Gtech has a lot of variables in it so it is not really a comparison.
i use my Lambda meter on road when testing for safe mixtures. underboost and get light load and cruise maps in to decrease dyno time.

PS not a flame u just seem very anti dyno.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2006, 06:09PM »

this i will agree with, unless it is a dyno dynamics dyno that is, then its different :P

PS. not flaming or being derogatory

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2006, 06:33PM »

You are correct in saying that i am anti-dyno, there are too many variables that can affect their recorded output also. It is simply a tool, as is how i use my gtech.

While using a dyno is best for dialling in timing by measuring torque output, I can still analyze the torque plot recorded during a run on my Gtech and decide if changes are required. It may take a little longer this way, but the only cost to me is the fuel i use.