Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 40140 times)

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
Cycling
« on: Jan 20, 2006, 07:05AM »
There seems to be a few antrx'ers that enjoy cycling, so...

What sort of bike have you got? - any modifications?
Where do you ride?
Fun, competition or transport?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got an Avanti Montari comp MTB, 2001 model
I ride on a mixture of roads, fire trails and single trail tracks.  Usually for about 20km at a time.
Most of the riding I do is for fun/fitness, but sometimes I'll use my bike for transport

:)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Cycling
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:32AM »
My bike is pretty damn old Tas, bought it myself when I was 14 or so (with paper round money... lol)

Its a cro-moly hard-tail... RST elastomer shocks up front, STX-RC/LX driveline... LX brakes, the older ones with the tiny handles (which I love).  Its still perfect, driveline is great, brakes pull up on a dime and you can throw it around a fair bit.

Two sets of wheels, new mavic rims with deore hubs (light motherfuckers) these are running green slick verdenstein tyres.  My older rims have my MTB tyres on them, so I can do as many skids as I like.  You know how you use the locked up rear wheel to steer sometimes, shit like that.

I used to ride EVERYWHERE, that changed when I got my car.

I did ride too and from work for a while when I fucked my auto box in the car, then continued that for a little while... but riding to work at 5:30 in the morning got too hard!  I love going out and hitting a complex, challenging trail.  One of the better ones I love is out near Ayres Inlet (near Angelsea, just down the coast).  Its a steep motherfucker, then once you get to the top there are always 2-3 wedgetailed eagles soaring around on the updraft from the end of the valley/start of the otways.

Then you hammer back down, jumping over anything thats too big to roll over ;)

My bike is at the back, with the fucking slick up-front (got a flat on the MTB tyres 1hr before me left, so rode the trails on a slick front tyre and knobbly back one... haha)

I guess this all comes from my old man being a hardcore roadie, with his two bikes (one for training, one for racing).  Races every sunday and rides at least 2 times a week.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2006, 10:38AM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:40AM »
Hummm... this is really motivating me to get off my ass and go ride.

Pity its 36 degrees at my place atm :(
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2006, 11:26AM »
well i have 2 mountain bikes and a road bike.. (gt, diamond back & my no-name road bike) nothing special, i like to keep my bikes simple.. a guy at my old work used to keep bagging me out for the old technology on my bikes.. thing is, my technology isnt really that old and still does the job that is asked of it :)

the gt i bought in melbourne as a mode of transport while on holidays. when i bought it (in the city) i checked the tyres, jumped on, and rode to southland shopping centre for a drink via beach road (about 25k each way).. turns out it was 41 degrees that day! its a bit heavy compared to my other bikes but it has a huge frame making it easy to ride because i can stretch out.

the diamond back is pretty light but has a smallish frame.. after riding the gt i feel cramped up on it.. the road bike, also smallish frame but is more comfortable to ride than the diamond back after the gt.. its quite light, probably lighter than the diamond back.. i'm at the moment contemplating upgrading the wheels, crank and gearset or buying a new road bike for around $2k. i'll probably just go with the component upgrade.

i got my bikes up here from melbourne 2 weeks ago, i'm planning on going on my first ride since being in brisbane this sunday, and from there i'm going to make an effort to get back into daily cycling and get back in shape.

my usual bike ride that i used to do is around the redcliffe peninsula which is about a 20km round trip which is a good daily ride (red line), but with boardwalks having been constructed along the margate beach front it tends to be a difficult job fighting for road/bike track space with cars and pedestrians. the other ride i used to do a bit was from redcliffe to sandgate and back which is also a 20km round trip (blue line), because there are less people using the beaches at brighton and sandgate and a long stretch of the ride is the old hornibrook bridge, i might start doing this ride more often.

there is another ride i used to try do at least once a fortnight which is a 40km round trip (green line) but its pretty bad at some points dealing with the traffic.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2006, 11:50AM »
This is what I race. My brother and I built this trike out of old road sign posts and coreflute and a trampline mat. We race it at a 24 hour race in murray bridge and 2 6 hour event on the V8 supercar track in adelaide. Its kinda a school based race but we enter in the open class and do fairly good for the $0 budget we work on. Finished 13th overall in the championship. This thing can do about 65 km\h and can cruise easy at 40km\h on a flat road. Oh yeah, our team name is Team Bluebird.  :)

Thats not me in the picture. Thats my mate in our team uniform. We bought them from the local swap shop for $2.

We dont race with that stupid flag on the bike, thats only there cos the copped pulled us over and told us we were speeding and made us put a flag on it while we were training.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2006, 11:54AM by lwsjss »
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2006, 01:34PM »
My GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc 2005. Bought it towards the end of last year and use it mainly for fun, sometimes as transport to work. I've hit the forest here in Adelaide with it, was great fun getting dirty :) Also got a speedo to keep me occupied on it. I like doing skids on it it's fully sik :P

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 07:36PM »
GO GT MTBs!

Pretty much a year ago i brought a GT Avalanche 0.5 - bloody hot! has Marzocchi air forks, 9.0 SRAM shifters and deraileurs (tho front deraileur is Shimano LX Deore), Truvativ cranks, Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals, Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes. they;re the main pretty things!

as mentioned in other threads/posts, i've started xc mtb racing every thurs. i wanna upgrade me wheelset and rubber, as from the factory they're not as good as i'd like them to be, esp the back tyre - its soooo worn down atm
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2006, 07:40PM »
I have a 2000 GT Vertigo bike, it's more of a trick bike than anything, just got it for riding around though many years ago. Don't ride it much these days. Prolly not as good for long rides and certainly not for terrain, but hey.

It's a bloody tank of a bike, but that makes it solid and strong, looks cool too. One awesome thing about it is, provided I take the bottom of the reat seat out, It fits very snug into the back of my car without dismantling, so I can just pull it out again whereever and ride around :)

Old sorta crappy pic but meh

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2006, 07:45PM by Rake »

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2006, 12:36PM »
My GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc 2005. Bought it towards the end of last year and use it mainly for fun, sometimes as transport to work. I've hit the forest here in Adelaide with it, was great fun getting dirty :) Also got a speedo to keep me occupied on it. I like doing skids on it it's f00lly sik (yes i have a low IQ - or i'm taking the piss) :P

hey bungs that is exactly the same as my bike that was stolen from Adelaide Oval whilse the test match was on earlier this year!! I was sooo pissed at the time, and insurance still ahsnt payed up yet!!!

We dont race with that stupid flag on the bike, thats only there cos the copped pulled us over and told us we were speeding and made us put a flag on it while we were training.

ahahah the cops pulled you over for speeding LOL

Offline bondy

• antrx.com senior member
  • the bond
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:52PM »
mine's mostly for fitness and a bit of transport, works a treat when i'm running late for uni lol.
always had mountain bikes and yeh, got an avanti escape when i got my flat in town cause the one i've got at home needed a fair bit of work done.
never raced mountain bikes, but i think theres a pretty good track near glenorchy somewhere (is that right Tas?) there was a big competition there a while back.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2006, 10:19PM »
I have a bright blue 2005 GT Fly. I just kinda cruise around in it, and do stupid stuff on it like try to stand on the pegs that are just on one side...not a great thing to try with ppls watching on the espy  ::)

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:35PM »
hey bungs that is exactly the same as my bike that was stolen from Adelaide Oval whilse the test match was on earlier this year!! I was sooo pissed at the time, and insurance still ahsnt payed up yet!!!

:o I have reciepts for mine it wasn't me!! hehe

I actually went on a quick 25km ride this morning at 6am, when it was the 'coolest' part of the night (29 degrees lol)
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2006, 11:37PM by bungs »

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:23AM »
yeah i went for a ride list night - it feels bloody good riding in this extreme heat down here in Adelaide.

Really get a good work out, after that go for a swim to cool the muscles down. Just love it  ;D

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:06PM »
never raced mountain bikes, but i think theres a pretty good track near glenorchy somewhere (is that right Tas?) there was a big competition there a while back.

Yep... http://www.tasbikepark.com/
it's at the top of Tolosa street.

Come and check out Australia’s latest purpose built Mountain Bike Park, only 15 minutes out from the City Centre of Hobart. Designed by world-renowned course designer Glen Jacobs – think Sydney Olympics, World Cup, World Championships – over 150 courses in 17 countries, yet he calls this: “the most exciting project for years - the location, the tracks, the people. The place is set to become a major mountain biking destination. There is nothing else like it in Australia.” (Glen Jacobs, Mudcow Visions)

I think I might go out there sometime this week and have a ride on the cross country track

:)

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:07PM »
I used to have 2 bikes until a few weeks ago. A BMX/cruiser and a Racer.

My bmx was a mongoose menace, beautiful and chrome. i got it brand new in 1998 and it only looked about 2 years old when i got rid of it before christmas. I never used it for stunts because the frame was too heavy, its bigger than other bmx's so its quite comfortable to ride around on. Over the many accidents i've had (sliding off, drink riding etc.) the only major thing that went wrong was the cranks. it was a bloody good bike. I'm thinking about buying my cousin a new bike just so i can have it back.

my Racer, which i've had for over 2 years now is a Malvern Star 'outlaw'. the bloke I bought it from used to use it for racing. it's got good acceleration when some fool thinks its got no balls. just whack it in to top gear and say goodbye. its a weird pale green colour, which i call anti-theft technology. Its got an oval shaped crank disc, a mate from a bike shop tells me they were popular in the 80's so that gives me some idea of how old the bike is. I've got a Sigma bc800 computer and a set of lights so I can ride at night. since having the computer i've learnt i can do 68k's downhill and 53k's uphill if I dont want any leg muscles by the time i'm done.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:25PM »
Here's a pic of my bicycle  ;D. I still can't believe how small it is... good fun to cruise around on!

What ya'll think?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:01PM »
Some polished aluminium bike lol, 21 gears, rst suspension up front, shimano gears and yeah, mountain bike..

extremely light and it's nice and comfy to ride :)

I've de-bagged it lol, looks better all polished up.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:42AM »
I think a lot of us like our GT's :)

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:03AM »
i have a norco mountain bike (canadian made) with front suspension ...bought about 7 years ago ......doesnt get much use these days ......maybe 6 30km rides a year ........i keep trying to get back in to it ...but cant ........oh well one day i suppose

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2006, 01:57PM »
Here's my bike...

I need some new rear brake pads, they felt like they were on fire on saturday after 4-5ks down a very rough fire trail  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2006, 11:50AM by Tas »

Offline bondy

• antrx.com senior member
  • the bond
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:02PM »
damn tas, like your bike!

i'd say that we should go for a ride but you sound a little more professional than i, and you'd probably burn out another set of brakes waiting for me

actually, on the subject, i saw your trx i think last year, was on the bike track near the tasman bridge one night. i'm pretty sure its the only silver trx i've seen.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:45PM »
i use to ride to the station to get to tafe, i rode a dodgy melvin star mountain bike. i would ride the 5km to the station, take the train to southbank, then ride the 2km around the river to the kangaroo point cliffs (for brissy ppl) and had to carry my bike up the stairs, and id do this twice a day.

one funny story involving riding home from tafe, i was riding home, and started down the street which passes under the capt cook bridge, mind you the road is on almost a 45deg decline, and my back wheel locked up, and seeing as i was doing close on 50 odd kmh, it game me a bloody fright! anyway the bike has kept going with the wheel locked down the hill, and i managed to get it around the corner, still at speed, i got to the point where the road met up with the one that goes along the bottom of the cliffs, and stacked it right infront of the tafe shuttle bus, packed with my class mates!!. i looked at the bike, and the little freewheel on the back had somehow been pulled into the wheel and snapped a few spokes....needless to say, it was rooted!!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:00PM »
k, finally got around to gettin a pic of me bike: GT 2005 Avalanche 0.5

If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:04PM »
Nice bike Jon...

Just to give you guys an idea how small my GT is...my handlebars just reeach my waist, and im not that tall  :D

Offline 91trex

• antrx.com junior member
  • When in doubt... Max it Out!!!!
Cycling
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:30PM »
 I own a giant ATX830 used to race until I blew out my legs and have not ridden much since. I have been meaning to get back on to it for awhile now.

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:36PM »
FINALLY got my new bike today!!!

Its a GT Chucker series and ill tell you she goes nice - bit average with constant momentum due to the fat arse tyre's and tread.

Has the RST up front and a nice bulky, but light frame

Only thing i need now is to get my self a spedo - a nice wireless one of ebay looks appealing ;)

GT website description

this is an images very similar but i will throw a pic up of my own shortly

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:45PM »
with all these GT's everywhere, just was wondering if ppl knew that GT actually got brought out by Mongoose/Avanti!  :P

but i still like their design and rekon they're still really nicely spec'ed for the price!  ;D

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2006, 10:16PM »
I've been a bit skeptical about Mongoose bikes, they were the brand of bike to have when I was at school. But one day some kid lent on another kids mongoose bike, and that alone dented the frame a bit.

My Vertigo weighs a bloody ton but if I have it in the back of my car I bet it'd be almost as effective as a rollcage should something happen :P

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:04PM »
oh, i wouldn't worry about GT now being made $hitty, they're still designed in California (i think), yet Mr Gary Turner (where GT came from for those not in the know....) just doesn;t own the company anymore! (well, that's what me bike shop have told me!). Tho like majority of bikes these days, GT's r made in Taiwan. its not unless you go to the expensive stuff like Cannondale (handmade in US) or Ellsworth (UK - i think....) bikes that they're NOT made in some asian factory....  :P

anywho, yeah i've always not been a fan of Mongoose, yet Advanti bikes r pretty good, so is Trek. Giant also offer good value 4 money, they're been in the game for a while now and so u know their products r quality stuff!

Might go riding now....

Offline NISMO_31

• antrx.com junior member
  • HR31 GTS Coupe
« Reply #29 on: Feb 3, 2006, 06:34PM »
FINALLY got my new bike today!!!

Its a GT Chucker series and ill tell you she goes nice - bit average with constant momentum due to the fat arse tyre's and tread.

Has the RST up front and a nice bulky, but light frame

Only thing i need now is to get my self a spedo - a nice wireless one of ebay looks appealing ;)

GT website description

this is an images very similar but i will throw a pic up of my own shortly

I just bought one of these today and I love it, now just gotta take it out bush  :D