Author Topic: Time to Spend $$$$  (Read 12016 times)

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
Re:Time to Spend $$$$
« Reply #30 on: Mar 3, 2003, 08:40PM »
my mate took it to the creek and apparently it did a sub 13sec but ive got no data or info to back that up eunfortunatly, but when ur in it, u could believe that it could do a high 12, especially on a cool night with about 15-16 psi on, or maybe a bit more  ;)

though i have the dyno sheet that shows the power at the wheels, so i know that for sure, that was after the chip was fitted, they did a before and after comparison
The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

shaunk

« Reply #31 on: Mar 4, 2003, 08:06AM »

magna 140kW

I win, mine's 155kW before I start modding it

Hehehe, mines got that at the wheels (though, marginally modded), actually, how heavy are the 3.5 magnas/verada

They weigh just a shade under 1500kg, so no leigtweight, but then again not a complete barge.  Quicker point to point than your 6 cylinder VX and AU barges.

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 24, 2003, 06:35PM »
OK guys, been doing some research. Give me some advice here.
Been thinking about  conversions, engine performance increases etc.

The ca18det/sr20det for me is not a viable option. talking $2800 for the sr20det, wiring loom, cooler etc. then, u need a SSS gear box to bolt onto it, which are hard to find.
Then some engine mounts, computer etc. And thats a standard sr20det. Then if you want serious performance, needa  rebuold etc. At least looking for a 5k transplant, without the engine rebuild!

SoI thought about my enigne. The KA24E.
I rang around a few places today, on rebuilds. A standard rebuild will set me back bout $2500.

For something different, I rang a few car spares, one in particular I use a lot to see how much a used KA24E motor is. I got quoted from $1100 to $1500. Exchange of course. That sounds about right.

But get this, and this is where I need some advice.

This place I liike, moore jap spares in sydney, says, the KA24E I could purchase off them is a jap import. What the hell is the difference between an australian ka24E and a jap import Ka24E?

Better still, he says, cause the only get jap imports, all engines have travelled at most 60,000km.

What  jap cars used the ka24e which could possibly only have 60,000km on them? That would make them only about 3-5 years old!

Im finding it hard to believe that a 13 yr old car like ours only has 60,000km on it. If so, $1500 isnt a bad option.

Instead of a $2500 engine rebuiold, plus bolt on turbo, super charger, id get the jap import, with only 60,000km or LESS on the clock, and save the money for the bolt on turbo etc.

Can someone tell me something i dont know here?

The difference between a aussie spec ka24e and a Jap import?
and which jap cars used the ka24e, that would have 60,000km or less on the clock? think im getting the run round a bit!

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2003, 11:16PM »
BUMP!

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #34 on: Mar 25, 2003, 06:54AM »
Hey mitza, im not a guru on the subject, but i'll try and help u out where i can.

Jap engines generally come out with low kms on them even though it doesnt seem right for the age of the motor, the reason being that japan isnt that big and the cars spend more time stationary in traffic thatn actually driving and also the public transport system is very good over there and most people will use that.  So cars dont get driven as far as they do here, but the engine has worked a bit more than the kms suggest, but generally they are ok, and if they arent from a car that is likely to have been thrashed then it should be alright.

I dont know about the difference in the jap import motor, to be honest i dont think there would be much difference, probably easiest to ask them as most of the info on the net about the ka24 is the DE, which would be my choice if i was going to go to the trouble of an engine swap, having the twin cam motor instead of the turbo, better for insurance

The $1500 is that for fitting too?

The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #35 on: Mar 25, 2003, 09:05AM »
Better still, he says, cause the only get jap imports, all engines have travelled at most 60,000km.

What  jap cars used the ka24e which could possibly only have 60,000km on them? That would make them only about 3-5 years old!

doesn't japan have that rule that your car isn't allowed to be more than 2 years old?! i think that's part of the explanation here.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #36 on: Mar 25, 2003, 10:58AM »
Yeah, as the cars get older they get way more expensive to register, so they are better off selling them, so we get all the great engines after only a few years. actually i thought about it, turbos rule, get one, work out how much its going to cost, u may be better off selling ur car and buying one like mine

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 25, 2003, 03:48PM »
So maybe someone can tell me, which jap car used the KA24E?
And when did they stop building this engine?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #38 on: Mar 25, 2003, 04:30PM »
i dont know champ. maybe he is pulling your leg.

the ka24de was made in japan. the pintara was the last locally built nissan. i think. thats what i read somewhere anyway.

this website has a huge list, but only lists the pintara to use the ka24e

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/3823/engines.html

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2003, 04:32PM »
yeah, just have a bit of a seach on the net, the best i could find was the early 240sx 1989-1991 had the ka24e and the last of the engines i could find were in the nissan navara, the ute, and they seemed to have the 12 valver in until around 1997, so the engines were made for a while
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2003, 04:33PM by NOFX »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #40 on: Mar 25, 2003, 06:22PM »
the ka24e engine is also used by all motor oil manufacturers in a test known simply as the KA24 test. it is the engine that apparently provides the harshest conditions for testing.

dont know why i bothered posting that. oh well. useless info i guess

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2003, 08:51AM »
Im guessing the Navara Ute wasnt FWD. Nor was the 240sx.

I cant believe that a Jap Car used the KA24E in FWD format. I thought the KA24E was used as an export engine from Japan. EG, if not built here is AUS for the Pinnies, exp[ported with the 240sx to the US.

Very curious to know which Jap car, if any, built in Japan used the KA24E.

Better do some research!