Author Topic: The best the worst & the poor mans  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
The best the worst & the poor mans
« on: Oct 27, 2003, 12:08AM »
This topic is all about Oil's Fluids & Cleaners for your car. There's a lot of brands one can chose from these days and while many are good the price you can pay for "second best" or poor mans uber oil is silly. I don't know all that much my self but im hoping that all of you can chip in your own experances and knowledge so that this can eventually be writen up by noss in the FAQ section as an example of what's cheap and good, whats over priced, & the best there is.

I currently use Gtx2, it's not the cheapist (God forbid you ever use a supermarket brand oil in your car) but it seams to run well in the cars ive used it in and for the price *shrugz* it aint bad.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:The best the worst & the poor mans
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2003, 01:19PM »
my brisbane mechanic only ever uses shell helix. so for a while my car ran on that. now i use castrol magnatec. its a bit cheaper than the helix & if its true that it has magnetic properties that all the better i say. its around the $20 odd mark for 4 or 5 litres i think.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:22PM »
God forbid you ever use a supermarket brand oil in your car

I only ever used that shit once after i did the head swap to clean all the shit out, it got a total of 5k's on it.
I use helix too.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2003, 01:24AM »
I use GTX2, seems to be fine on the engine.  There is crazy sh!t on the shelves at repco for like $70 cant remember what it was, but what a waste of money that would be...
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:48AM »
U guys that use helix, what sort? semi-synth? I've find that when i'ved used helix in the past, it becomes really thin.  I just use regular mobil now.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2003, 08:31AM »
Magnatec dose seam to work, but i never found it's results good enough to justify the price, witch up hear is usually $24-$28

just read a topic on the skyline board, it's quite intresting.

red line oils

i was at the all ford day meet today out at bassendean, where i went over to the red line oils tent to get a bumper sticker, but they made me talk to them haha. anyway, we got on talking bout wot car i have n shit and he recommended this shockproof gear oil for the earbox and diff. he reckons it'll take away the clunking n stuff in the diff and make it shift smoother (manual), but at $103 for a gallon (3.875L) i wasnt overly keen, but im willing to give it a shot. have any of u guys used this stuff?how did it go?sorry bout the long post...

Have used the Lightweight shockproof ( smurf oil I call it cos it's blue ) in 3 GTR's and a 300Zx with crunchy syncro's and shut them all up. Is top stuff and will allow easy engagement of 2nd when cold which can be a bugger with Nissan boxes.

Cheers
Ken
[quote/]

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2003, 09:53AM »
i use 20W-50 helix, i think it's all mineral.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2003, 09:59AM »
i used to use synthetic helix.

a guy i know dyno'd from memory 3-4kw higher just by changing his oil to mobil 1.. that was an immediately before & after oil change result. that however was in a v8 commodore.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:31PM »
 my pinnyT's on mobil 1. was penrite hpr50. but wanted to go fully synthetic ;)
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:45PM »
yeah, i'm going full synthetic on the new motor.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2003, 11:06AM »
magnatec does seem to work to some extent - it's the only oil I've used since I bought the car. It takes bl**dy ages for all the oil to sink into the sump (let's say it's because of the magnetic properties) - not like a few hours, like a few days!! To check the real level of the oil I have to leave my car sitting with the engine off for 2-3 days.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds