Author Topic: Aircon Filter?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Aircon Filter?
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:52PM »
Happy new year all.

Doing some maintenance on the car and have had the aircon re-gassed - at least it blows cold air now!

One thing, anyone know if there is a filter for the aircon?  I looked at the FSM and also at the blower fan but couldn't see if there was anything easily accessed or serviced.

The blower fan needs to be on 3 or 4 to get any airflow so I was wondering if perhaps there is an in line filter that might need a clean?
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline squizz taylor

• antrx.com junior member
Re: Aircon Filter?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:24AM »
There is no filter installed.

When the fan speed is selected to 1 or 2 does the fan actually work. If the fan is working, the problem is a blocked evaporator. That is the unit under the dash, after the fan. It is typical that they get blocked over time as they fill up with leaves and rubbish.

The next problem you will face is that the A/C system needs to be degassed to remove the evaporator to clean it, so it all starts to get a bit expensive if you do not have the ability to do the A/C work yourself.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:19PM »
Thanks for the input.

The fan works on 1 or 2, its just that the air flow seems quite weak.  I suspect as you suggest that there could be a accumulation of rubbish on the evaporator or somewhere in the system.

Is it possible to remove the blower fan and to 'hose out' or clean the evaporator in situ without needed in to remove it?  Would be nice to avoid the re-gass issue

Looks like a long weekend job.....!

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:58PM »
Well this arvo I had a go at cleaning the evaporator.  What a cuss of a job. :(

Out with the glove-box, then the blower fan and then removed as many of the screws in the bottom of the evaporator box as I could.  I was able to get about a 2 inch gap around the front of the box to try and clean the internals.

Lots of crap in the blower fan so cleaned all that out and a fair amount of crap in the evaporator box as well.  Gave it a vacuum  the got into it with the garden hose and an airgun.  I was also able to get the hose and airgun through the blower fan box, to access the evaporator.

Cleaned it up as best able then put it all back together.  The aircon is certainly a bit cooler and there seems to be more airflow, though I guess this 3 hour home job wont be anywhere as good as a professional clean.  At least I didn't have to get any re-gassing!

It isn't a particularly hard job, just awkward and potentially not worth the effort? :-\  Would have been better had the system been designed with an in-line serviceable filter!

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:30PM »
a lot of Nissan stuff didn't have the filters even the n16 pulsar didn't come with them, despite there being a place for it

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:31PM »
and some of the european stuff, such as VW  Tiguan require more dissassembly than the trx haha.