Author Topic: FWD U12 Clutch issues  (Read 2665 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
FWD U12 Clutch issues
« on: Jul 15, 2014, 09:18PM »
HI all.  I'm a new member...  I have joined because I am trying to sort out the clutch on my son's Pintara TRX.
Its a 1990 U12 FWD TRX.  We bought it witha knackered clutch and I am in the process of putting a new clutch in it.
I pulled out the old clutch - down to the rivets on the plate and badly scored on the clutch cover, so they went inot the bin... I think that was my first mistake!

I bought a clutch kit from clutch-pro and have tried installing.  When I installthe clutch cover, it clamps up onto the disk, but the fingers go dead-flat and only have 12 mm clearannce to the clutch plate. I thought the fingers on the clutch cover were meant to protrude bck toward the relase bearing?  Anyway, threw the gearbox back on, and the clutch actuating lever rocks back and fort and feels like it isnt contacting anything....  And because I have thown the old clutch away I cant compare the components for sizing....

With the clutch kit, I was initialy supplied the wrong clutch plate first off, but after having been supplied with the correct plate and being assured by the supplier that the cutch cover is correct, could I now have the wrong release bearing?

So, with the cluth installed, should the fingers be flat or should they poke out toward the release bearing?  Also does the TRX with the LSD have a different clutch from a non-LSD gearbox?  The clutch supplier list the 2.4 engine, but allows no distinction for the TRX model. 
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: FWD U12 Clutch issues
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2014, 01:39PM »
All ka24 clutches are the same.

Try bleeding the clutch slave if you don't have any pedal feel, although, u12s with a factory clutch don't show signs of a hard pedal anyway.

Bleed the clutch and see if it grabs for pulling it all apart again.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2014, 02:27PM »
Thanks for the input.

I have left the box off for the time being while I confirm that I have all the right bits in place before putting it all back together.  If the bits are all correct (suspect this is the case...) I will get the box back on and see how the clutch feels.

I just though that the amount of free movement in the clutch actuating lever with the gearbox sitting place seemed like full movement without connecting with anything.  This might be different when everything is bolted up tight.

Thanks again

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2014, 07:01PM »
Hi all.  Got the clutch and gearbox back in.... and it all works!! Thank goodness for that.  Pointed the car up a steep hill and floored it in first gear.  Had no slip at all from the clutch - even managed some wheel-spin as the car went past 2500 rpm. 

Only thing is, there is a breather tube out the top of the gear box.  I affixed the hose in place but cant for the life of me work out where the other end of the breather line goes?  Can someone please have a look and see where the breather line is meant to go and give a quick reply?  I would really appreciate it. 

My summary after doing the job is what a pain in the neck!  There are some gearbox mounting bolts that are very difficult and time consuming to get in but hey - I've saved myself a bunch of dollars on labour.  Front drive gearbox and clutch jobs require a lot more effort than a rear-drive, but its done now.

If someone could let me know if the gearbox breather tube is meant to hook onto anything that would be great.

Cheers.  Go the mighty T-Rex!

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2014, 09:45PM »
OK.  found the thread below:

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=7542.0

Looks like the breather goes nowhere and as advised on the thread I have attached it to the plastic clip thingy on the air intake 'hose' that I thought was there to hold the coil lead.  Anyway, everything is clipped up, secure and out of the way.

Best part of all, no left over parts, nuts or bolts after finishing the job!

Cheers.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:26PM »
no left over parts is always a good way to finsih the job :)

i did the clutch with the ex missus one night, she went inside to get a drink and she came out to me with a gearbox on top of me.. ah the joys of doing work yourself.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:35PM »
Thanks Noss.  Always nice to hear that even the pro's can have stuff go wrong!  As long as the missus didn't spill the drinks as she assisted in getting the gearbox off of you....

Anyway, now I have discovered I have an interesting problem....

Went for a quick drive up and down the road and the speedo isnt working and when driving the engine begins to cut out (like hitting a rev limiter or something) at around 2500 rpm.  I thought the cutting out issues might be as the vehcle was running out of fuel (guage was below empty) so I put 4 litres in - enough to turn off the fuel warning light however the engine cut out issue is still there.

I had a look at the speed sensor unit on the gearbox and the red and brown wires are broken - that explains why the speedo isnt working.... Must have pulled on them or been a bit rough on them getting the gearbox in and out.  I will get the wires soldered and try the sensor again, but is the speedo not working the reaosn why the engine would cut out?  Are the two issues likely related?

In reading a worksphop manual it suggests that if the ECU senses an air-flow meter malfunction the engine will not go past 2400 rpm - which seems to be what is happening - so is it likely that the speedo not working just happens to coincide with the failure in the air-flow meter?  And how easy (or expensive!) is it to fix / replace the air flow meter?

Any advice appreciated!

Anyway I have also started this discussion as a new thread

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014, 10:37PM by FNQ TRX »

Offline squizz taylor

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2014, 06:32AM »
Whoa there turbo.

One thing at a time.

The broken speedo wire is all that it is. The U12 ECU requires a speed signal for certain functions to operate properly. If there is no speed signal, it goes into a limp home mode and will cut the engine at 2500 RPM.

Fix the wires for the speedo, and all the problems will be fixed.