Author Topic: Radiator Fans  (Read 2990 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Radiator Fans
« on: Mar 31, 2013, 02:40PM »
Hi guys

Wondering for those that had to have a custom radiator set up if they have seen the following locking plugs for aftermarket radiator fans (see pictures below).

I need to get a spacer plate done for my exhaust manifold as the turbo is not clearing the block with the wastegate.

Dano attached the fans for the radiator in reverse on the opposite side (draws air from the engine bay and not the bumper bar). I figured he did this for room but I need to get the fans on the other side as I'm fitting the condensor back as well and want air to be drawn from the front of the car and not the engine bay!

What do you reckon. Can i reuse these or do i just cut them. On one side there is like what seems to be a push through clip but I have tried getting it off with no avail. On the other end is the plug.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: Radiator Fans
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2013, 03:00PM »
You can buy those in a kit on eBay dirt cheap. I got mine with my fans.

But here's some here
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=130708861162&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=13275108264

You can get some cheaper from Hong Kong and the such for about $5 but postage will take like 2 weeks.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2013, 10:32PM »
Also those clips are on backwards.

With the fans on the other side, you still draw air in from the front towards the engine bay. You just adjust the fans so they push instead of pull. I have done the same thing.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Apr 1, 2013, 07:58PM »
Don't be suprised when your radiator/s spring pin hole leaks using that style of fan mounting.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 1, 2013, 08:43PM »
Also those clips are on backwards.

With the fans on the other side, you still draw air in from the front towards the engine bay. You just adjust the fans so they push instead of pull. I have done the same thing.

Thanks Kranzy. That makes sense if they can go both directions which I have read most aftermarket fans will

Don't be suprised when your radiator/s spring pin hole leaks using that style of fan mounting.

Don't say that. Hopefully not. If there is another mounting way please tell me (I will get it). I don't think you have much choice with sr20det's in the U12. There just isn't enough room for the old school fan shroud (I trial fitted a stock radiator yesterday), especially if going T28. What other mounts can I use without using a fan shroud.

Thanks Lil Noss for the link on ebay. I checked it out so at least know where I need to get more if necessary.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Apr 2, 2013, 12:17PM »
Mine are mounted off some aluminium bracing, about 5mm away from the radiator core... setup pushing air through the radiator from the front (no AC condenser).

Pics here http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,16417.270.html
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 2, 2013, 12:42PM »
Use a fan shroud.

Or do what Budge did.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Apr 2, 2013, 01:24PM »
Mine seem to work fine, but if the car was driven in alot of stop start traffic in summer, I would fab a much better setup for it

Offline MattJohn

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 2, 2013, 04:52PM »
Sorry for a slight off topic post.. But whilst driving your cars, where abouts does the needle sit? In my ca20e, it's dead centre nearly all the time..
But driving the Ka, the needle sits pretty high in traffic, back to the middle when it's open road again.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 3, 2013, 12:05PM »
Use a fan shroud.

Or do what Budge did.

It currently has the radiator fans the same way as budgie and I am reversing it for the air con equipment. Fan shroud is an option but I would have to go a custom setup and would have to be super thin. Something to think of I guess.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll disconnect the clips and hopefully no leaks. If so then I have not choice but to chuck the radiator out and use my stocky with the fins.

Apparently Craig Davies have super thin fans but not sure how much thinner they are to mine.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #10 on: Apr 3, 2013, 12:25PM »
How thick are yours mate?

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #11 on: Apr 3, 2013, 03:59PM »
How thick are yours mate?

I have them out of the car and can measure them again. From memory they are about 10mm thick, which still won't allow much clearance for an air con condensor. The stock ones with a fan shroud are a little over 15mm thick from my 'rough' measurement