Author Topic: U13 atessa - remove CV Driveshaft help  (Read 2753 times)

Offline sleeper2t

• antrx.com junior member
U13 atessa - remove CV Driveshaft help
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:36PM »
Am struggling to get the passenger side CV drive shaft out on my AWD U13 Bluebird Atessa.
The drivers side shaft pulled put of transfer case easily but cant get the other out.

Does it pull out the same way on the splines with a circlip locking it in??
It does look different with some odd looking star head type bolts attaching it to an output shaft. Do we need to undo these odd bolts or just pull out?? 
Anyone? Thx
Bluebird Atessa U13 - an easy 161kw@4 wheels at just 11psi. High 12s 1/4 mile and handles nice = much fun! :D

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: U13 atessa - remove CV Driveshaft help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:01AM »
I've always undone the bolts then removed it. That output shaft is quite long, it extends right through the transfer case to the front diff.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline sleeper2t

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:01PM »
Appreciate that info. Got some advice elsewhere that said the same thing.

Info for others needing to remove CV driveshafts.... there are 6 'Torx' style bolts to remove. They are 10mm size and can be undone with a spanner - socket extension woulnt attach due to the little space next to bolt head.
Bluebird Atessa U13 - an easy 161kw@4 wheels at just 11psi. High 12s 1/4 mile and handles nice = much fun! :D

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:58PM »
you for got to mention budgie that you have to drop the engine on the left hand side to get the shaft past the lower control arm mounting point.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:10PM »
Big fella, do you mean when removing those 6 torx bolts you still drop the motor on that side?

Never had to do that on the U12, I remove the 3 bolts on the hub knuckle which allows the strut to push out away from the gearbox, giving the drive-shaft room... but I don't think the U13 has those 3 bolts on the knuckle and has a different control arm mount/setup?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:25AM »
no all good budge, if you want to take the long shaft out of the box on that side is what i meant bird man.other wise yeah it is easy job, just dont bash on the end of the drive shaft to get it out of the knuckle.

Offline sleeper2t

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:40PM »
Yeah all good, the U13 must be different.
It went back on so easy just lining up those 6 bolts again. I will upload a pic when i get the chance.
All got back together today and like new again. Reco shafts just $60 each in SYD. Thx