Author Topic: HNU13 Wiring Questions  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
HNU13 Wiring Questions
« on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:05AM »
Hey Guys,

Just starting to put the new stereo into the attesa and have come across a heap of dodgy wiring. The car at some point has had an alarm and a cb radio or similar.

The existing stereo is the one it came over from japan with. An eclipse tape deck with 8 stacker in the boot, jbl speakers front and back using the stock wiring.

Any help identifying the below would be great. Cheers, Luke.

WTF!

This is a small push button switch next to the accelerator pedal. Probably alarm related.

This is just under the steering wheel. Some kind of rotary knob.

Here's the back of the knob.

What's this in the boot? It looks like a connector to complete the circuit?

This is on the rear parcel shelf. There are a few wires behind the seat too that have been cut and rewired.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: HNU13 Wiring Questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:12AM »
The push button is alarm related, allows you to program it, put it in valet mode etc.

The rotary knob, where does that wire go? I have never seen them for alarms. Knowing where it goes will help with what it was for. Its not the same wire that you've shown in the pic of the parcel shelf? If it is, maybe its some form of volume control for something?

Connector in the boot almost looks stock. Would be worth someone with a u13 to check theirs to compare.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:31PM »
Thanks Kranzy.

I've traced part of the rotary knob wiring and it looks like it goes up to the boost gauge so it's probably a light dimmer for it.

Another question: The lights for the aircon buttons and the clock come on and off as they please. Pressing a button on the clock turns the clock lights back on for awhile. I have the dash panel out now so is it something that gets repaired or replaced?

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:49PM »
More wiring mess behind the headunit. Looks like it might have been an ericsson car phone installed and not a cb. The black box to the right of the photo has ericsson on it.

It looks like the factory wiring is still in tact so i'll just remove all this other crap and start again.

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2012, 03:02PM »
well the twisty knob is for the light dimmer switch, mine was the same they dont have them in japan but its a requirement over here so they get retro fitted,mine has the central locking unit the same as well, my car was complied in QLD maybe at the same place. i can see your consult plug and your chimer but fuk thats a mess, if you buy an eclipe head unit you will prob be able to use the stacker still.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:45AM »

Black box with tick sticker is alarm module. There are two relays visible there too - probably related to the alarm or central locking. Speaker at top left may have been for a phone kit.

As others have said, it's a 'valet' switch to disable/program the alarm.

Gauge dimmer control

Stereo amplifier bypass plug - for cars that don't have an amp from factory.

Brake light wire for spoiler?

More wiring mess behind the headunit. Looks like it might have been an ericsson car phone installed and not a cb. The black box to the right of the photo has ericsson on it.

It looks like the factory wiring is still in tact so i'll just remove all this other crap and start again.

Correct, that is an old phone kit.

If you're fitting an Australian head unit remove the metal box in line with the antenna cable (on passenger floor in pic)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:51AM »
Thanks guys. I removed the phone kit which included the speaker under steering wheel, the box in head unit area and an antenna cable.

The cable dangling in the passenger footwell is actually for the cd stacker.

I removed as much as possible but left the alarm which doesn't seem to do anything. There is also an aftermarket cruise control box in the drivers side kick panel.

Car is back together for now.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:28AM »
 Fun mate!! Bloody wiring crazies!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist