Author Topic: Turbo T28 Install - Advice  (Read 3783 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Turbo T28 Install - Advice
« on: May 5, 2012, 09:57AM »

I put this also in my project thread but thought it's really for the Tech Section. Anyways...................

I just installed the T28 and exhaust manifold. I noticed that the turbine housing is just shy of the diff. Have a look at the pictures. I can't get any rubber hose from that point to go to my airbox. Can I grind the diff case and similarly how much can I grind down??

You can see my finger in the photo. I have pushed my finger down as far as it will go. Gives you an idea of how close it is to the housing. You can rotate the housing freely however

Thought I would just post this up. The T25 as you can see is a lot smaller than the T28. Hopefully this bad boy is worth its price and trouble

Trial fit. All seems okay however I need to get a new dump pipe made. Next question I guess is how can I make a mould to give to an exhuast place to make me a dump pipe. Alternatively am I better off getting a MIG Welder and getting some practice and welding a dump pipe to my liking?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Turbo T28 Install - Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2012, 11:34AM »
i realise the housing is close to the diff/box, but the housing shouldn't hit the casing because it will move with the motor, as will the diff/gearbox. if it were that close to say, the firewall or another part of the body, i would be worried. or are you not worried about movement and you jsut flat out can't get the silicone hose over the housing?

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2012, 12:52PM »
Instead of grinding away at the housing i would do this:

Make up a pipe to direct the intake away from the gearbox housing, and have someone tig weld it to the compressor housing inlet. Get it the end of the intake extension beaded so you can make sure that the rubber coupler won't come off.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2012, 06:09PM »
Thats actually the engine block you'll be grinding, not the bellhousing of the gearbox... but its just one of the bolt housings for the gearbox.

Taking a bit off it so you can get a hose onto it will not matter.

Adam's solution above is also a great one tho...
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2012, 03:05PM »
One of the guys in the pulsar forums stated that he has had a spacer plate. You need to buy however another gasket and also different studs. I think I can squeeze the rubber hose on. I just hope it doesn't melt with temperature being that close to the engine.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2012, 08:48PM »
silicone or rubber?
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2012, 09:28AM »
silicone rubber doesn't melt until it is over 500 degrees celsius. optimum temperature usage range of silicone hose is between -100 and 315c

if the compressor housing and/or gearbox is running temperatures outside those ranges i'd say you'd have more problems than melting hoses.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2012, 09:27PM »
Have an extension welded on like i mentioned, do it once, do it right!

Offline mendezcr

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:06AM »
Have an extension welded on like i mentioned, do it once, do it right!

I just did that extension and have more space even for a bigger turbo no problems at all.  :)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2012, 11:44AM »
I just did that extension and have more space even for a bigger turbo no problems at all.  :)

I found that a few guys on the pulsar forums have done the same thing as well. It just means however I have to get a spacer made to sit between the head and exhaust manifold and buy another gasket (around $300 for a good quality metal gasket).

Where did you get the spacer from. Could you use an existing SR20 FWD exhaust manifold or would that push the turbo out to far?

Offline mendezcr

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2012, 01:32PM »
I actually did it in a precision welding shop, you can make 4 spacers for each exhaust line or weld each spacer to the manifold and save your self to spend too much $$ on a gasket. I did 4 spacers without welding them to the manifold because I want to the GTiR Manifold because it has a better air flow than mine.
BTW I'm not in Australia just in case  8)

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2012, 01:37AM »
i have come accross a similar issue, but i am putting an angle flange between the turbo and the manifold. btw my manifold isn't a cast, hangs a bit lower similar issue. similar to this, but t28-t28
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T25-T28-TURBO-CHARGER-MANIFOLD-EXHAUST-CAST-FLANGE-ADAPTER-TURBINE-CONVERSION-/180907748002?fits=Make:Mitsubishi|Model:Starion&hash=item2a1ef12aa2&item=180907748002&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801