Author Topic: How (not) to: u12 bluebird clear tail light conversion.  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
1. Find yourself a set of u12 bluebird tail lights, and preferably a spare set of AUS tail lights (I recieved mine with the car, however a spare set will be ~$25 from a good wreckers.)

Note the difference:

2. The inside of the u12 bluebird tail lights uses an amber section for the indicator. The Aus tail lights use a clear section, but amber lens. The transfer will be swapping these lenses over completely. Depending on fitment, i'd like to transfer the red section over to the aus tail lights as well. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

3. Preheat oven to 160C, get a damp towel, spread over a metal tray, and put tail light in oven for a matter of minutes. Ensure lens is facing towards the front of the oven, as I did. (excuse lack of photos, i don't think this needs a photo.)

What you DON'T want, is to leave it in for 5 minutes. Otherwise an acrid stench fills the room, despite lack of smoke, and you'll end with something like;

Kinda looks like it belongs on the "fat car" that's semi-famous. Anyhow, The lens had been in too long, and had started to melt. Attempting to pry it off bent the lens, although the second photo was taken before any attempts to pry off the lens with a screwdriver, the wobbles weren't induced by me. The reflector section bulges quite humorously, the photo doesnt show it well enough....

Future corrections: attempt with same ruined tail light, less time in oven. The silicone was still quite sticky, a pen knife was used with the screwdriver, as the lens was pulled away, the glue was cut. I only managed this for a corner of the tail light. Despite it being so hot the lens was nearly a pile of liquid goo, the glue refused to let go. Whoever thought THAT was a good idea..?

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
Re: How (not) to: u12 bluebird clear tail light conversion.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:11PM »
Whoever thought THAT was a good idea..?

who thought sticking a plastic taillight in an oven was a good idea..?  ;D

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Re: How (not) to: u12 bluebird clear tail light conversion.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:35AM »
It seemed delicious at the time.