Author Topic: Starter Motor Issues  (Read 1787 times)

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
Starter Motor Issues
« on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:49AM »
Hey Everyone..

Got a problem with my U12 Pinnie, and as I have never had starter motor issues in the past, i got no idea where to start!!

Heres what happened.. Sat Morning jumped in the Pinnie, turned the Alarm off, went to crank the motor.. Nothing.. Not even a slight attempt to wind the starter motor. Got a slight click from the relay above the fuse box under the dash... And thats it.. Stereo comes on when on accesories, turn the key to start, and the stereo just fades out and only the lights are left on (no actual display of song or anything on head unit) So I thought it might be the battery... Check the batt, 12.5V... Checked the connections, cleaned and replaced connections and made sure they were solid and not loose.

Next i checked every fuse, inside the car, and the engine bay... Cant see anything there..

Checked the immobiliser which has a circuit that cuts the starter motor.. Wires were soldered together, so no loose connections. Alarm will alarm and disalarm fine...

Car will Clutch start and run fine

This is really odd as the car has always started fine, first time and rarely ever struggles to get going...

Can anyone shed some light or pointers on things i made need to try...

Thanks!

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
Re: Starter Motor Issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:04AM »
12.5 Seems a little low. Get someone else to turn the key while you're checking the battery voltage.

Either that or get a starter motor from a wrecker and try that. They're not hard to change, just make sure the battery's disconnected, or that the big cable doesn't touch anything.... I've made that mistake.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:25AM »
12.5v is fine voltage wise. A fully charged battery is ~12.6v

Sounds ver much like starter to me.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:35AM »
Yeah i dont think its the batt, its pretty much new, about 2 months old...
And i also tried jump starting it with another batt connected, still nothing.
I havnt even located the starter motor, where abouts is it on the U12?

So if the starter motor isnt even attempting to wind, does that mean it could be ceased or sumthing broken on it?

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:37AM »
Most likely the bushes have just worn down. Could be a faulty connection between battery and starter motor I guess?

Not 100% sure on the location on the ka's but I assume it's on the rear of the block under the intake manifold.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:33AM »
I know this is an old topic, but considering i started it, just thought id add some updates since oh so long ago. So Since this issue early last year, i have replaced the motor with another ca20, used my existing starter motor from the original motor. Now i had issues on and off a few months ago where the starter motor wouldnt wind at all, turn the key, and nothing, no ticking, no sluggish winding, just nothing. So I had a look with a mate the other day and managed to get it to work, for a lil bit, all i did was check the spark leads and coil packs and poke around here and there.

Last night i had to clutch start the car, once i was home, i tried starting it by key again. The starter motor cranked a lil bit, then just started spinning freely not engaging the motor! So i turned the ignition off, and the starter motor is still winding!! Had to diconnect the battery!! And when i reconnect it, starter motor starts up and keeps spinning....

Im guessing the solenoid is stuck in the open posistion and i have most likely stripped the gear/flywheel...

Any thoughts? Has someone been thru this before??

Cheers

Andy