Author Topic: no power, then no start.  (Read 2744 times)

Offline sph

• antrx.com junior member
no power, then no start.
« on: Feb 9, 2009, 07:04PM »
My U13 lx started playing up in the heat last week when my son was driving home from work. Firstly it just lost power and then started to cough and splutter at idle. If you let it sit for 10 mins it was fine for a few K's then would do it again. He thought it may have been low on fuel so filled up and it got home. We had fitted an after market fuel pump about 2 months ago and thought maybe the pickup had moved in the tank and wasn't picking up fuel near the bottom of the tank. Next day did same thing, losing power rough idle then just stopped. This time wouldn't start at all. Won't even turn over. All dash lights fine, battery fine alternator charging fine, RACV thought maybe starter is cactus. We push started it in the cool and drove it home about 45 k's no problems at all, but it won't start with the key. Could both problems be starter related? Maybe drawing to much power? When I turn the key the clock on the dash and the radio stop but the dash lights don't even dim. Could it be the ignition switch? any clues? Anybody had anything similar?

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: no power, then no start.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:09AM »
U13 is notorious for having the dizzy seals fail, filling the dissy with oil and stopping it from working.  That may be the cause of the coughing and spluttering... something to check at least.

I dont see how the starter motor would effect the general driving of the car, so that may be another matter to worry about.  I'd start by changing it, then see if it starts...

Offline sph

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:23AM »
Yeah I thought similar. I am going to disconnect the starter to see if it is getting power. If yes then the starter has died. It does seem a bit strange that 2 electrical faults turn up at the same time though. The area around the dizzy is weepy but looks more like the rocker gasket than the o rings. I think I might remove the dizzy anyway to check. The strange this is that when we drove it home after the jump start it ran fine for nearly an hour getting home. It was only when we had those 40+ days it played up. Has anyone heard of fuel vaporization problems with the U13? Maybe the coil is on the way out?

Offline sph

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009, 11:04AM »
Just an update on the problems. Problem 1 Losing Power. In the dizzy one of the modules has broken down. Apparently this is quite common in the heat. Only way to fix is replace the dizzy. :'(  Problem 2. No Start. Appears to be the starter motor.  Will replace today hopefully. Bought  one from the wreckers only to find that it was from an auto and they are different from manual. >:( I checked the 12v supply to the solenoid with the key turned and it is getting supply so the starter solenoid must be faulty.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2009, 11:09AM »
Common issue with the U13 dizzy's.

I'm not aware of a cheaper fix either, maybe the U13 guys can shed some light on this?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:33PM »
if you need the starter and the dizzy and you are in melbourne then i have the parts sitting in my car/wreck.

Offline sph

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2009, 02:12PM »
Hey P-Unit, thanks for the offer I do need to get a dizzy. I have already replaced the starter. I pulled the old one down and a segment on the commutator had let go and broken a couple of brush holders for good measure. No wonder it wouldn't start!!.

For now I have cleaned up the dizzy and she is running again, till the next hot day!.

Please email me what you want for your dizzy.

Cheers Steve.