Author Topic: Is my mechanic ripping me off??  (Read 9076 times)

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Is my mechanic ripping me off??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 8, 2008, 04:15PM »
i've been quoted $750 for a new flex pipe and cat converter (2.25)

Whoa!!!
3 years ago i had a 2.25" system put through my car. That included a brand new high flow cat, a nice long resonator in the middle and a straight through muffler at the rear with a 2.5 inch chrome tip. Total cost was around $600 (give or take $50, can't remember exactly...).
I didn't have any flex pipes replaced, but i don't imagine that the flex pipe would be worth hundreds.... (unless you are buying genuine parts).
So yes, i think that $750 is a total rip off! Keep shopping around... Which State are you in?
Dan.

93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline greenbird

« Reply #31 on: Jan 8, 2008, 04:20PM »
ferrodo brake pads that mechanics commonly used are compressed camel shit though.

Nice one Noss!!!!
I've always used Bendix pads. Never had a problem and the pads wear nicely without chewing out your discs.
My U13 has covered 250000kms now and has NEVER had to have the discs machined. The discs are still pretty smooth and there's no marks/gouges on them bad enough to make it necessary to have them machined.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #32 on: Jan 8, 2008, 07:48PM »
Whoa!!!
3 years ago i had a 2.25" system put through my car. That included a brand new high flow cat, a nice long resonator in the middle and a straight through muffler at the rear with a 2.5 inch chrome tip. Total cost was around $600 (give or take $50, can't remember exactly...).
I didn't have any flex pipes replaced, but i don't imagine that the flex pipe would be worth hundreds.... (unless you are buying genuine parts).
So yes, i think that $750 is a total rip off! Keep shopping around... Which State are you in?
Dan.

I paid $1100 for the full exhaust system that i had on NIZ #1. That was: hi-tech extractors, with 2.25" mandrel bent system, hi-flow cat and cannon (took me a few weeks to get rid of that and put a muffler on though). But i got what i paid for and was never happy with it, even after 3 muffler changes. Lesson learnt. Hence, NIZ #2 has stock exhaust... Although... May get a cat-back exhaust one of these days perhaps...  ::)

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #33 on: Jan 8, 2008, 07:51PM »
Nice one Noss!!!!
I've always used Bendix pads. Never had a problem and the pads wear nicely without chewing out your discs.
My U13 has covered 250000kms now and has NEVER had to have the discs machined. The discs are still pretty smooth and there's no marks/gouges on them bad enough to make it necessary to have them machined.
Dan.

I had bendix ultimates on NIZ #1 and never had a problem, i also had the discs machined when i put them. However i put bendix ultimates on my 34 (mechanic recommended them) and they're awful. I still haven't been able to stop the squealing from them 6 months later and the mechanic keeps telling me that i don't go hard enough on them and that i need to stomp on the brakes more and bed them in....

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
    • http://www.myspace.com/unbalanced_
« Reply #34 on: Jan 8, 2008, 07:53PM »
I paid $1100 for the full exhaust system that i had on NIZ #1. That was: hi-tech extractors, with 2.25" mandrel bent system, hi-flow cat and cannon (took me a few weeks to get rid of that and put a muffler on though). But i got what i paid for and was never happy with it, even after 3 muffler changes. Lesson learnt. Hence, NIZ #2 has stock exhaust... Although... May get a cat-back exhaust one of these days perhaps...  ::)

As far as exhaust goes, i just got my muffler replaced with a resonator and a chrome tip put on for $150 - And I'm very happy with the way it sounds.
My car history:
'88 Toyota Camry - Engine Died
'85 Toyota Corona - Engine Died
'82 Nissan Bluebird - Write Off
'88 Toyota Camry (same one as before) - Trans Died
'94 Nissan Bluebird LX - SOLD
'88 Toyota Hilux - Handed over to dad and now residing in Perth
'84 Nissan R30 Skyline - SOLD
'99 Nissan Stagea RS4-S - SOLD

Current rides:
'99 Mazda FD RX7 - Lots of fun, but currently up for sale
'95 Nissan Bluebird LX - Current sedate daily
'85 Suzuki GSXR250 - Motorbikes are fun! :)

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #35 on: Jan 9, 2008, 12:35PM »
im in the ACT so i dont have heaps of options. whats suprising is that i was quoted $1200 for a full mandrel bent exhaust including cat and flex pipe (2.25")!!

like you said, i'll just keep shopping around...

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #36 on: Jan 9, 2008, 04:26PM »
haha shit LC, that's one bad rip of a price lol

buy a "high flow" cat off eBay for 250 and a flex off there too for 30, make sure the flex is double braided.

labor will be no more than 150 to install them :).
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...