Author Topic: HELP!!! BLOWN HEAD GASKET  (Read 2949 times)

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
HELP!!! BLOWN HEAD GASKET
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:23AM »
Hi guys,
I've just been told that my bluey has a blown head gasket and the mechanic has said it's probably easiest to put another engine in, as opposed to fixing the engine that is in her already. The hose beneath the inlet manifold was split.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Does anyone know where i can get another KA24DE from with low'ish k's?
And no i'm not going to be doing the SR20DET conversion.
Cheers,
Teena

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: HELP!!! BLOWN HEAD GASKET
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:31AM »
Ah thats poo!

Just take the head off and fix teena :P :D
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 12:51PM »
Wreckers seem to be getting more of these now, its that age for the u13... but not many with low K's.

In my opinion it will cost roughly the same if you reco the old one as if you get a whole new engine which may do it again next year.  At least with a reco you know its not likely to happen for another 200,000km (unless your name is Budgie)

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:12PM »
After making a million calls, I've managed to find a wreckers which has one with 163,000 on it and they carry a 7 months parts and labour warranty. So if it sh!ts itself too, then they will swap it over free of charge. My mechanic will be dropping it in next week, so fingers crossed.

Although it would be a great exercise for me to do over the holidays, if i were to TRY to do it myself... lmao. (Really couldn't see that happening).

Offline phantom

• antrx.com senior member
  • The Fighting Ninth
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:20PM »
thats pretty good...how much is it gonna set you back?

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:21PM »
Although it would be a great exercise for me to do over the holidays, if i were to TRY to do it myself... lmao. (Really couldn't see that happening).

theres nothing sexier than a lady covered in grease...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:47PM »
theres nothing sexier than a lady covered in grease...

is it wrong that i got the image of greased up deaf guy in my head?
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:57PM »
thats pretty good...how much is it gonna set you back?

Motor - $850
Labour - Quoted $900-950
Other Parts - hopefully not too much more...

Offline Jason

• U12/13 mixer
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:42PM »
How many K's has the motor in it now done? If its only the head gasket and it hasnt been badlyy overheated it will be cheaper to pull the head off, machine it and put it back together with a new headgasket.

Does it still go?

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:56AM »
The engine that is in my bluey (niz #2) atm has 210,000k's. I bought the car knowing that it had oil leaks and did need some sort of mechanical attention (hence why i got it really cheap). But i didn't really expect it to just totally shit itself.

It was losing water, so i replaced the radiator last week, as we found a big crack in the bottom. However, after replacing that it was still losing water. We never saw any puddles and i had been checking the water every day or at least every second day. For the first few days, the level was hardly moving, but then all of a sudden on tuesday night there was no water left. Topped it up before i drove it wed and that's when it started to overheat. As soon as i saw my temp gauge move to higher than normal (which is 1/3), i pulled over and immediately turned the engine off.

I've been told that one of the hoses beneath the inlet was split, and in order for the mechanic to change it, the whole motor has to be pulled apart. The mechanic said he ran the chemical through to test for the blown head gasket and it changed colour straight away. So we're not too sure of exactly the extent of damage there is. IE if the head is cracked, or any other issues. When it overheated, i could hear the engine sizzling and smoke was coming out of the bonnet, however i wasn't going to lift the bonnet and burn my fingers/face in the process of checking it out any further.

Also, last week it had started running really rough, so we check the plugs and no. 3 was totally destroyed, and there seemed to be alot of oil on it. So perhaps that is signs of the engine having bigger issues? I'm really not that mechanically minded, but to me it didn't sound too good. Hence why i've decided to just go for another engine.

I've been told the car is still somewhat driveable (or at least movable into the workshop at night and out again in the morning). However i had it towed to my mechanic on the wed when it started overheating and i've just left it there, where it is awaiting the transplant engine to be delivered and the mechanic will drop it in for me. Fingers crossed she should be ready before chrissy.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:31AM »
Does it smoke/overheat blah when it reaches operating temp?

When my headgasket went, it would spit out coolant ONLY after it would heat up and hence the pressure in the system increasing due to the radiator cap, I just simply turned the rad cap half a turn back so it doesn't build up pressure, it was enough for me to get back home and replace the gasket.

Headgasket fixes arn't too bad, their just annoying and can take some time when you have stubborn bolts, etc.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...