Author Topic: What's your worst injury??  (Read 61153 times)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
What's your worst injury??
« on: Sep 11, 2007, 06:43PM »
Well this topic popped into my head after i had burned my leg on the motorbike exhaust. This burn was a 2nd degree burn and it fucken hurt!! Practically paralized me for 5 days or so, which was uncool, still didnt stop me from walking, driving and doing other things.

So as the topic states, what is your worst injury, meaning do you have an story to tell regarding your injury, a photo perhaps of the scar to date, maybe even when it happened or shorty after.

Here is mine:

Was a fine EKKA Day Wednesday here in Brissy and myself and a mate decided to go riding before i fly over to NZ (on Saturday morning), went to our usual spot and did the usual shit we do. But this day was different, we did more exploring and rode further then previous times. On the way back after a good 2 hour non stop up and down steep rocky hill ride we decided to start making our way back to the ute.

On the way back i could feel how hot the engine was getting as my bum was getting pretty warm, then we came up to the hill which i have always hated as there is alot to dodge and gotta go pretty slow up it. At about half way up i started slowing down and had my legs out for balance, then suddenly out of nowhere a sump popped up, my left leg getting caught on it and pulled that leg in between the exhaust (just as it comes out of the engine) and the rear break lever. The burn was instantaneous and there was nothing i could do but pull me leg out. On the day it looked nasty but no pain. But it wasnt the story the next few days.

Got back home, showed the missus (blah blah blah, thats what you get for not having protective gear). Yes that right, went riding with nothing more then a t-shirt, old shorts and old shoes. Guess ive learnt now!! Bike boots here i come.

The end result is a pretty scar on my leg, here is a photo of what i looked like the next day.
NB. This image may be disturbing to some, click at own risk!!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Kroiwi/burnbaby.jpg

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: What's your worst injury??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:01PM »
Juicy burn mate! :)

I've never really done much more than snapped my wrist good and proper and cut half my chin open, past that nothing much really... and no pic's
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:13PM »
My worst injury is snapping three metatarsals in my left foot last year (february 9th at 8.45pm to be exact).
   I was playing oztag (a nice low risk of injury sport) and I was the right winger, one of my mates passed the ball, I took of for the try line and I stepped into a hole, I felt my bones snap but I kept running because it didn't register that I snapped some bones straight away. I crossed try line and rolled onto my back and my foot started throbbing so I did what any 18 yr old male would do and started crying cause it hurt. :-[
    I was helped to the sideline and then went to hospital for Xrays.

In the end it was 4 months off work and cost me $2500 in doctors fees and casts/walking braces. And I didn't score the try, my tag was ripped off >:(.

And next week I have a bone scan to see if it needs to be re-broken and surgically pinned back together, because it has been playing up for the last 3 months or so.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 07:16PM by Langers_87 »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:35PM »
I took of for the try line and I stepped into a hole

Why is there a hole on the field your playing on?  It shits me that there is no oztag stuff in Vic, Geelong specifically... as it looks like fantastic fun.

A foot injury must suck however, seriously restricting your mobility.

Offline Sik_bb_trx

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:10PM »

I got the record for worst clavical fracture at the womans and childrens hospital in Adelaide lol  ;D

Story goes:

I had a day off school for careers day and I was getting pretty into mountain bikeing so I decided to go dirt jumping with my $200 repco mountain bike. So the following is my stupid fault.

So I jumped onto my bike, picked the biggest tabletop and went for it, hit the ramp got mass air hit the landing ramp and the forks snapped of at the headstem I hit the deck left shoulder first felt a crunch and got knocked out for a few seconds.

So I sat up had a look around my bike was a sorry site and I didnt feel to bad so I chucked my backpack on my shoulder and It just fell back, So I realised my collar bone didnt exist anymore but It didnt hurt which was weird so I freaked out a bit and ran to the local shops to the chemist and asked for a lift to the local doctors, they asked me what was wrong and I told them, they wanted a look so I took off my shirt and almost got sick I didnt realise the bone was throu the skin where It meets ur neck so they rushed me to the hospital got it operated on It ended up being broken in 4 places and severe nerve damage which is why I couldnt feel it.

In recovery I had med students pokeing me because it was the worst fracture of the kind recorded the second worst was a hurdles jumper, and for putting up with that I got to play nintendo for a week.

So all in all I now own a $2500 mountain bike that wont snap, It took 8 months to get feeling a muscle back into my left side, now Im pretty well A1 except my left shoulder is 1 inch shorter than my right lol

And its the only bone ive ever Broken  ;D       Ignore the spelling plzz

Moral of the story is GET THE RIGHT EQUIPTMENT FOR THE JOB !!

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:28PM »
Wow these are some nasty stories.  Worst i've done is only a snapped off tooth from taking a dive at basketball.

My brother has had all the injuries.
- 2 cracked vertabre
- smashed ankle from doing a BMX jump, they wanted to put in a steel plate as a heel, he refused but came out alright.
- 3rd degree burns to 80% of his back from burning deisil engulfing his scissor lift. (he's a demolitions worker)

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:42PM »
Why is there a hole on the field your playing on?  It shits me that there is no oztag stuff in Vic, Geelong specifically... as it looks like fantastic fun.

A foot injury must suck however, seriously restricting your mobility.

Because Penrith council look after the fields. I don't know why it was there, it just was and I found it. It was not a proper field, pretty much a reserve with the fields marked by witches hats/cones. And oztag is heaps of fun, in QLD I will try to sign up to play again pending how my foot is.
 I was supposedly covered by sports insurance from 'Sports Insurance Australia' (anyone delt with them) and they said they would pay medicals but then backflipped and I had to pay. If foot needs surgery which is highly likely then we are speaking to some lawyers.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:59PM »
Well I don't have any huge injuries but some of the followign are half decent:

- Rollerblading down a hill and chin planting on concrete (7 stitches);
- Bit of ligament damage after landing on the side of my foot after trying to pull of a lay-up in basketball.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:06PM »
I did my ACL (Anterior cruciate ligament - knee) playing football, not nasty story, I simply jumped up to mark a ball and landed in a way which snapped the ligament in half. There was little pain, just extreme instability in the knee - as in it would buckle with every step I took. Long story short I got a knee reconstruction in august last year and now it's back in tip top condition and I'm starting to train for football next year.

Let me just say - any injury that prevents you from exercising sucks, I'm soooo unfit now and I've stacked on the weight. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of it all and get the fitness back up.

Apart from that the worst injury's would be sprained fingers etc. :P
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:33PM »
I havent really had any major injuries like Breaks or anything, ive had one set of stitches and a long term problem.

Stitches were from cricket, out of all sports. Two of us went to field it, i called it he slid and his spikes went straight into my knee, only one dug in enough for stitches. Got somethin like 5 or 6 of em. Knee bones look good though  :P

Long term problem was that Osteitis Pubis thing. Very painful when your like 12 years old and your parents say its growing pains. When they finally take you to the doctor he says that it will take a very long time to heal the damage id done, and it wont ever be 100% again. Now randomly i get aches on the left side of my groin, and cant do anything about them. Played like half a year with the thing, hurts a bloody lot.

Other than that, few nasty sprains here and there. As i said, nothing real major as of yet.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:39PM »
Actually wait....I do have a good story  ;D

I used to work in a Coles deli. One afternoon I was heaps tired and not really with it when i get told to slice some meat up. The way the meat slicer works is you bring this handle over and pull it hard into the meat to prevent it from sliding all over the place. The end that goes into the meat has many small spikes on it.

Well I wasn't concentrating and I pulled the handle over and slammed it into the top of my fingers. I punctured the top of 4 fingers, the spikes went straight into the top of them. So i called a "code blue" (first aid). The lady was like, "hey your doing really well, by this time people have normally feinted". Then I felt all woozy  ;D .

So I went and got a cup of water with sugar in it, put some bandaids over the punctures, cleaned up the blood and got back to work  ::)

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:50PM »
Sik_bb_trx they say the collar bone is the easiest bone to brake.

My worse is minor scholerios (slight bend in my spine nothing major) which has caused sprained lower back muscles.
I've had days were i have been unable to walk
The worse thing about it is due to my weight and build i can easily injure the muscles along my back from random actions.
Normally takes 3 weeks of painkillers, anti inflamitorys and beer to make a full recovery
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline SECLUDED

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:24PM »
I've had a couple of bad ones.

1) Year 6 at primary school, me and a mate were playing with a basketball round near the classrooms. Now, these classrooms were the ones built out of bricks...so...as I have ran to pick up the ball off the ground (him not far behind me) a little shove in the back, a crunching noise, straight on my arse. Now the very top point of my head hit the corner bend of the bricks..that's when the blood trickles down my forehead. I instantly rub my head, it hurt so that's what you do, in shock so no pain...as I pulled my hand down covered in blood, the face on my friend was priceless. Standing there, shaking, saying sorry every second word and white as anything. Taken to the office, mum takes me to the hospital. 12 stitches in my head, slight indent from the bang and yeah, a crap load of blood lost. Slept for a good 2 days  ;D

The best part was, when I go back to school finally, there is a chunk of skin and hair still stuck to the wall and a blood trail for a good 250m from the classroom to the office.

Others have been broken bones (fingers, collar-bone, arm, left leg and slip disc in my spine all from Moto-X)

Moto-X is bad kids =]

Lukas
Kermit Engineering™ - IM Me For Details
 - Custom S/S Exhaust Systems
 - Custom S/S Intake Pipes
 - Custom S/S F/M Intercooler Piping
 - Custom Made Heat Shields
 - General Fabrication Work
All Available in Polished Finish
VERY High Quality Build

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:46PM »
Moral of the story is GET THE RIGHT EQUIPTMENT FOR THE JOB !!

LOL!  I've had a front fork stress fracture and 'kink' to the right while racing... but didn't break, so I had the time to slow the fuck down and get off my bike!

Oh, I have another one :P  Thrashing my MTB on gravel, flipping the tail from side to side for an extended distance, just goofing off.  Then front wheel decided it wanted to turn sideways when I hit an bump that (I think) must have been hidden in a shadow from tree lining the path.

Went head first over the handlebars, going quite quickly.  Landed almost entirely on my hands and my chin.

Had the charming old massive flap of skin/meaty'ness hanging off where I had landed.  Was full of this fine red gravel stuff that I was riding on as well.  So strolled over to a tap near the path in someones front yard, washed the gravel out and my mates rang my mum once they saw how bad it was  :D Off to the doctor we go  ::)
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:48PM by Budgie »

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:48PM »
Had the charming old massive flap of skin/meaty'ness hanging off where I had landed.  Was full of this fine red gravel stuff that I was riding on as well.

That has got to be the worst thing ever!!! You want to get the gravel out but stings like a mo fo!!

Offline Sik_bb_trx

« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2007, 11:07PM »

Choice thread! some kickass funny stories are coming out of the woodwork

keep em coming lol    ;D

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:02AM »
I've got two 'worst' injuries.

One was coming off my bike at about 50km/h at the bottom of my street. Landed on the left side of both my knees, inside of my big toe (I was wearing thongs), outside of my left arm, my belly and the left side of my face, splitting my eyebrow. The handle bars went into my hip too, bruising it. Walked home and mopped most of the blood off myself in the bathroom, then sat down cos I was feeling faint. Got 4 stiches in my eyebrow and the doc scrubbed my gravel rash with gauze to get the gravel out.

Gore pics:
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7408/dcp0583hs9.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1453/dcp0631ss2.jpg

The other one is open heart surgery to correct Atrial Septal Defect.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:23AM »
your eye is like devil red in the second pic jono......Ive had heaps and heaps of injuries.

1. All my toes and fingers have been broken from martial arts (Trying to break a board wrong usually does it)

2. dislocated ankle, Cracked ribs, Sprained Elbows, wrists, Ankles

3. Broken jaw from a kick in the face out a kickboxing tournament

4. This is my worst by far When i was seven or eight we had a break up party for martial arts.... anyways it was a pool party and i was showing off to my cousin and she was teaching me backflips into the pool. I finally got it and when i jump some one ran past and freaked me out and i fliped to close to the edge And landed on the top of my head on the corner of the pool..... i blacked out in the pool and when they pulled me out the pool was red i lost alot of blood. Anywayz my dad quickly calls off the party cause he was the instructor and takes me to hospital where i get 42 stitches... I will get a photo of it later... There is alot more injuries but cant think of them out the moment
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:40AM »
well, me stoopid ass left knee....

in 2001 i snapped me anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in me left knee playing soccer, resulting in a full knee reconstruction. half way thru rehab, i snapped me hamstring graft i had to replace ACL. so then in 2003 i finally got around to gettin it fixed. then just recently (about 4 months ago) i had a crash on me mtb whilst racing and snapped me knee cap tendon graft that i had to replace the hamstring graft (which replaced the ACL in the first place!)

so now i'm lookin down the barrel of having a 3rd knee reco, options being either taking hamstring tendons from me right leg to put in me left knee; synthetic graft; dead person's tendons in me knee! - theres some wierd medical term for that, but i forget it!

surgeon wants to operate asap, but i really dont wanna go thru it all again - tho in the long term, will prob benefit me more than NOT doin anythin about it. meh, if i can still ride me pushy, go scuba diving and use a clutch, then i dont see meself havin the 3rd reco anytime soon
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:43AM »
well, me stoopid ass left knee....

I was waiting for you to see this thread Jon ;)

Got 4 stiches in my eyebrow and the doc scrubbed my gravel rash with gauze to get the gravel out.

You will have to pay higher taxes for removing all that gravel from the road Jono, someone will have to put it back :P

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:05PM »
These stories are great!!  What funny is that everyone calls their mum, i would rather call my dad as i'd know that mum would freak out, where as dad would just do whats necessary.

So I went and got a cup of water with sugar in it,

Was that for you or for the punctures?? That would hurt too, do you have little scar marks on your fingers.

Wish i had more stories, but........oh wait i do have one more, nothing serious but i did see bone.

When i was....ummm...think about 15 or so, me and a mate went to our local indoor swimming pools. We had a awesome time swimming around and doing stupid things that we usually do. At one point i think we were chasing eachother in the pool playing tiggy or something. Anyways i got out, was laughing at him as he couldnt get me and as i was walking around the edge of the pool i stood into a hole between the water drain things, someone removed one as a cruel joke to my shin. Anyways, stood into it, the sharp plastic ripped back about 5cm of my skin from my right shin, thats when i saw bone..
Funnily enough it didnt start bleeding straight away. Went home as if nothing happened and when i got home, after the shower it all started, the blood, the pain. I was a little sook, so i cried as usual. Mum (there she goes again) put on a gause and bandaged it all up. Good ol' mother..

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:09PM »
These stories are great!!  What funny is that everyone calls their mum, i would rather call my dad as i'd know that mum would freak out, where as dad would just do whats necessary.

Thats so true.

After I rode home after snapping my left wrist, my dads looked at it and was like "you'll be alright, its only sprained badly" etc etc...

Anyway, it hurt more and more and more... then mum came home, took one look at the swelling and took me to the hospital :P

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:43PM »
Wish i had more stories, but........oh wait i do have one more, nothing serious but i did see bone.

Yeh ive done something really similar where i cut my shin open from knee to ankle on a piece of metal.
Bone could be seen in a few places. Mum strapped it up, my dad feints around blood.
Then i played T-ball 3 days later.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2007, 10:32PM »
when I was 19 I spent 2hours having laminex dug out of a four inch gash on my hand from where I tried to drop my head chef and he ducked.

Also have 8 inch scar from melanoma surgery on my left bicep (slip slop slap people)

Offline nbgrove57

• antrx.com junior member
  • 1995 Nissan Bluebird SSS
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2007, 10:39PM »
In year 6 i sprained my ankle riding my friends bike, so i was  on crutches for a week,
and about 3 years ago i fractured/bent my left collar bone(clavicle) trying to tackle some guy who was twice the size of me playing football :P was in a sling for 3-4 wks, but the doctor told me that it would take 2-3 years for it to heel back to the original place (something like that anyway).

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:22AM »

Was that for you or for the punctures?? That would hurt too, do you have little scar marks on your fingers.

Don't know what sugar water was for, first aid lady told me to. No scars unfortunately  :P

Offline SECLUDED

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:30AM »
Actually, Ive heard another one, not hapenning to me but a friends boss.
He is doing a chef apprenticeship and one day, the head chef is mopping the floors, walking slowly backwards as he mops calmly.
Suddenly a splash and a scream as he trips over a huge drum full of deep frying oil that has just been flushed from deep fryers.

Now if you sit in a bin, your entire hip region up to the chest and part of your thighs are in it...thats what go t covered in burning hot oil.

Needless to say he isn't a chef anymore...
Kermit Engineering™ - IM Me For Details
 - Custom S/S Exhaust Systems
 - Custom S/S Intake Pipes
 - Custom S/S F/M Intercooler Piping
 - Custom Made Heat Shields
 - General Fabrication Work
All Available in Polished Finish
VERY High Quality Build

Offline Dano Da Bomb

• Antrx Steriod Squrell
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Your friendly local porn star
    • Pringlesisgay.org
« Reply #27 on: Sep 15, 2007, 12:01PM »
I once cut my finger nails to short and my finger bleeded =. (
Pringles loves men

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:20PM »
I once cut my finger nails to short and my finger bleeded =. (

pussy!!! Harden up.

My gf got trampled on by a steer, yes a bull with no balls. She was about 15 and at school they had a farm class. She had the steer by the chain and it started misbehaving, the teacher told her to pull down on the chain but the steer retaliated and instead trampled on her, breaking her ankles and putting her front tooth thru her bottom lip. Now she has a little scar just under her bottom lip.

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2007, 10:51PM »
when i was sixteen i was out fishing with a mate, we were walking back in when i sliped and went face first into the rocks.
I was a bit shaky and there was a fair bit of blood but all my mate had to say was "thats a bit nasty"
we were on pushys so half way home he has declaired hes hungry so we stop for a burger on the way, i still dont feel so good so i  just have a coke.
I was getting the shits cause people were staring and when i went to drink most of the coke dribbled down my front.
After his burger we set off home when we get there my mum freaks out , im telling her its ok stop carrying on , she tells me to go and look in the mirror.
Ive got a piece of my lower lip the size o a fifty cent piece hanging off, i can clearly see my teeth and gums through the hole.
so 30 stitches later and 700 bucks of dental work later