Author Topic: Running...  (Read 11978 times)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Running...
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:02PM »
I've always been a runner.  Loved it in school, was quick but not super fast.

Was always good over long distances.

I have just started up again as I've been putting on 'some' weight (for me, fuck all) but I don't want to let it get any worse.  Have uni most days of the week and a massive workload outside of contact hours, I don't have much time for exercise.

I used to swim alot, like 4ks a week or so.  Then worked for two years as a swimming teacher.  Now swimming kind of shits me... lol

But I have recently decided I must find the time.  For the future, for how I feel day-to-day and for getting back in the same shape I was in year 12 and first year uni.

So yeah, i'm just going to post stuff up in here for myself to keep track and make sure I don't ease up over the winter months.

--------------------------

- Run 35mins today.  Some walking, some short distance sprinting, mostly jogging.

- 14 push-ups (::)... after a 15min rest from the run).

- 40 sit ups (10min after I typed up this post :P)

Well, we'll see how it goes.

If anyone has some advice, go for it.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 08:13PM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline cruizer

• post whore
Re: Running...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:05PM »
Good to see. I used to be a pretty decent runner. Did 14.5 in the beep test and got to Vic state team tryouts for crosscountry, didnt make it  ::).

Its very easy to lose cardiac fitness though, its amazing. I lost it, gave up and started on weights  ;D

Good way to keep yourself motivated also!

Advice?
Do your very very best to avoid getting shine splints. Run on grass, not bitumen surfaces if possible. Your knees and shins will thank you for it later on.
Doesn't really need to be said but good cross-trainers are a godsend also with support etc.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 08:07PM by cruizer »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:12PM »
Yeah.  My cardiac fitness is ok, but I can FEEL that i've lost a bit!

I have kickass shoes, best mate used to work at pauls warehouse ;)  Did all of that run on a grass oval as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 08:14PM by Budgie »

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:15PM »
Doesn't sound like you need advice...seem pretty set! Did you jog, then sprint etc?
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 08:22PM by Budgie »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:22PM »
Yeah, started off about 10mins constant jogging, got past the 'hurt' stage then started doing some sprints.  Found myself needing to walk after them most times, but could keep jogging sometimes.

I stopped when I started to feel a little off, then walked home.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2007, 12:02PM »
I know exactly how you feel, I used to be hell fit at 15 in the beep test, and just recently downloaded it to test myself now.  I havnt tried yet (probably will right after this post) but only expect about a 10 maybe.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2007, 12:25PM »
Ok well just did it, not quite to exhaustion, but enough that i had worked up a sweat, and couldnt be bothered doing it anymore.  Only got to level 9  :-[  probably didnt help that I have just eaten some 2min noodles though.
Just shows that i'm not as fit as i used to be in high school.  Definately need to do some more jogging i think. 

Offline LC_TRX

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2007, 12:31AM »
i would like to do more running but i just find it boring sometimes. i think its a great way to get your cardio up and overall fitness. i think i will also have to find the time to get back out there and do a bit of jogging. let us know of improvments etc and stay motivated (its my biggest problem  :P)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 01:47PM by Budgie »

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2007, 06:31PM »
just thought i'd add my 2c....

well, after me 2nd knee reco i tried to get back into running. started off okay, but then as i started to do more "running" (as opposed to "jogging"), me knee started to kark it. thought it was just a little hump i had to get over, but then it eventually got worse and worse and so now i've just thrown in the towel.  ::) tho now (since about a year ago) cycling has taken over and can still jog, but i tend to avoid any running or joggin all together.

i reckon its amazing how much fitness (or body conditioning) you can lose over such a small amount of time - even a few days of doin nothing can set you back.

like budgie and others here, i agree that its freakin hard to find time to go out and keep the heart pumpin strong. ever since i've started full time work, i've noticed that me cardio has dropped considerably (i used to finish no less than top 5 when i race mtb on thurs nites.... now i struggle to get top 10  :-[ ). also finding it hard to get to the gym, and me membership was pretty much drilling a hole in me pocket. so last week i quit the gym after about 8 years!  :o  just gonna try and focus on ridin now (me full carbon bike is just waitin for me to pick it up from the shop!  ;D  )

i rekon we all start postin what we've been doin each day (fitness wise) so then it givs us motivation (which i've been lackin A LOT the past few months) to beat not only ourselves, but each other  :P  and we can all help each other out?

anywho, best of luck ppls!

catch ya round the bend....
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2007, 07:02PM »
Well, you've just made me get on my bike and go for a ride Jon :)

Cya in an hour :P :D

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2007, 07:04PM »
i got 16.3 on the beep test last year but then again i was in the footy class out school and all it was prac and thats it no theroy. Those were the days lol im so unfit for indoor cricket i run once to the other end which is about 10 m and im screwed lol
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2007, 08:37PM »
Well, you've just made me get on my bike and go for a ride Jon :)

Cya in an hour :P :D

Could not find the lights for my bike... so went for another run instead.

20min, with 3 short walking periods.  Gotta ramp it up to 30mins at least, three times a week.

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2007, 11:46PM »
Gotta ramp it up to 30mins at least, three times a week.

thats all you really need. but gradually increasing duration and effort will pay of enormously. i generally try to do 60 push ups and 30-50 sit ups a day (depending on how i feel) i also try to get to the gym when i can. at least if i cant make it to the gym i try to do the push ups and sit ups at home to keep my body doing something.

how consistantly are you running budgie?

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2007, 02:23PM »
here's one way of gettin your runing up that i was doin whilst rehab....

run for 100m, walk 100m; run 200, walk 200; run 300, walk 300.... and so on up until about 500m, then come back down (500, 400, 300m....) or if you already hav a fair bit of fitness, only walk (recovery period) for 100m in between each increase.

then once you start conditioning to this, justup the ante on the distance. start at, say, 400m, go up to 800m or even a 1000m....

before you know it, you'll be doin a fair few k's in no time!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 08:28PM »
I know I've named this thread 'running' but went for another ride last night :P

30mins, went very hard at the end.  Almost spewed, but it was good :)

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:13PM »
so whats with the riding? why arent you doing as much rinning, is it because the bike is less harsh on the joints?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 09:21PM »
Yeah and I'm a rider from way back ::)... that sounded weird...

I used to race mountain bikes, but have been out for a while.  Only ride every now and again now.

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 09:34PM »
so has there been any progress on the running then?

ive started to do alittle more, especially at the gym. i try to run or ride to the gym when i go now (only about 3km)

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 12:18AM »
....30mins, went very hard at the end.  Almost spewed, but it was good :)

that's lactic acid for ya!  :D  30mins? that's more like a warm up!  :P   ;)

fark the running!   :P

go the riding!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:20AM by TRXJon »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 07:09AM »
Yeah it was getting dark jon and I don't have any lights...

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 07:24PM »
i forgive u....

went up to lysterfield park 2day for some mtb training for next sunday's 6 hr race. anyone wanna be me pit crew?  :P   :D

started ridin at about 8.30am til about 12.30pm, with a few breaks in between to get more water and fuel up. me legs don't feel as bad as i thought they would - tho just fcuken tired now.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2008, 08:10PM »
Thought id dig this up...

For those that know me in SA, im a pretty big fella, coming in at a bees dick over three digits  :o about 101 or 102kg... When reading this i got extremely pissed off at myself, my mrs is tiny at half my weight  >:( So i decided it had to go...

Started running to work in the mornings (id say somewhere near 2km). Every day, i run the basic minimum distance i reach the day before, then see how much further i can go. Then the next day, thats my new minimum. Run most of the way now (thats how bad my fitness WAS, couldnt even run the 2km to work!). Now im also hoping to get my gym membership running again (ended last month), and i will hopefully ride my bike there, do a weights session there, then ride home. Combo of cardiac and weights... (reason i will ride is to save my joints and back, i was born with a bad back AND knees so they need to be looked after  :() If i dont get the gym going, then ill just have to set a bike ride map out, and stick to it to get some more cardiac going. Once i get down to a somewhat reasonable size i can back off, but to lose it all is the hardest part.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:41PM »
Great champ.

This thread is OLD.  I remember starting it when I was living with my ex... who used to sit around too much, so I would get bored and pissed off and go for a run!

I'm recently (2 weeks ago) starting swimming again.  Masters squad, only once a week at the moment which is not enough but did 1.6ks the first week and 2.3ks the second week and felt a damn sight better in the 2nd week.

Its a late session with older guys and some young chicks I used to work with.  Great fun... which helps :)

I've stopped running for a little while as I've done something to my right knee.  The swimming is helping it to come good tho.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:21PM »
Well I've thrown myself in the deep end and I'm doing a 12km fun run in septembet  :o

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #24 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:48PM »
yeah i saw that, i was thinking about it... but then decided to just join in with my work mates (many females) and go on the 12km walk. couldnt get any of the slobs to run with me.
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #25 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:10PM »
hey im a cyclist myself and reading ur posts i reckon your doing pretty well ;D another idea if you wana take training to a new level is a heart rate monitor, polar are the main brand and i own one a s710i cycling one, they're great even if you just get a cheap one that just tells the time and your heart rate, they're a wonderful tool to have if you want to get more technical :D just putting in some more suggestions ;)
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #26 on: Aug 1, 2008, 06:38PM »
So I guess I'll be running past you then Bill!! Or crawling...the latter being more likely.

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #27 on: Aug 3, 2008, 03:32PM »
is that the city to bay guys?
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #28 on: Aug 3, 2008, 03:33PM »
think so yeah

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Aug 4, 2008, 03:36PM »
im a pretty big fella, coming in at a bees dick over three digits  :o about 101 or 102kg...

Weight doesn't mean your fat, I'm 105kg but I don't look "fat", I find with loosing fat, exercise is the small part, the diet is something like 80% of your work.

You can not exercise, be super strict on your diet, and still shred those KG's. But you need to exercise right, running won't do much but just burn more muscle, try and walk fast, I mean just faster than a powerwalk, if that makes sense, to the point where it's nearly uncomftorble and you feel like running, that's the level of walking you should keep it at, this way you'll use more fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. You might think you have no muscle because it's being covered by the fat, but once you start leaning out, you'll see it big time.

Minimise the carbs as much as you can after 5pm and try and eat small "snacks" high in protein, low in carbs and fats about 2-3 hours everyday. If you got a craving to eat, snack on some raw almonds. Good source of fat (the good fat) and it gets rid of the craving.

Keep it going,

Oh and remember this, I am guilty to this, i'm sure many people are too;

You get all gee'd up to get fit, the diet comes out, the exercising happens, it's been 2 weeks, your doing GREAT, after those 2 weeks you look at yourself in the mirror, you notice some progress, getting a good feeling, now this is where the cheating comes in, you think "oh i'll just burn it off, whatever" and begin to loose track, then all of a sudden you get cocky and you stop, right when that's the barrier, after that barrier, it almost becomes habit. They say, it takes 21 days to form a habit, so try and stick out those 3 weeks :).
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...