Author Topic: 91 Bluebird Attessa (need advice please people!)  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Sonek87

• antrx.com junior member
91 Bluebird Attessa (need advice please people!)
« on: Dec 6, 2007, 10:25AM »

Hi everyone sorry to put up such a big post when im just a noob but I really need your help.

I have a 91 model nissan bluebird attessa 4wd, sr20det manual,  170 000kms, white with blue pearl paint debadged, large front mount intercooler, turbosmart blow off valve, lipped rear quarter panels, pedders sports ryder suspension 2.5 inch cannon catback exhaust.  I just recently bought the car from a guy in sydney for $4000 because it has a dint in the drivers side door, I have a huge passion for blueys ! my current car is a 97 bluey lx and its been so good to me but it now has 306000km and im trying to sell it !

To get to the point my attessa has the following problems.

Engine oil leeks
Power steering pump and rack leeks
Radiator coolant leaks under lower tank
Turbo coolant pipe leaking
Tailshaft centre support rubber loose
Drivers side engine mount broken
Air conditioning not working

These are the problems Im going to have to fix because it is currently unregistered and i need a road worthy. Two major issues I have noticed are

strange engine rattle/knock at idle (but cant hear it while driving)
and oil leaking out of the exhaust (blows smoke when change gears)

Now I don't know much about cars so I need some help.  Where would the best place to gets parts be?  Has anyone had experience with these problems?  I have about 3 to 4 grand to fix it all up but at the same time I wouldn't mind getting some performance mods into that budget (maybe a larger turbo, boost controller, cam, ems or chip, full exhaust with headers)

If you guys could let me know what mods you did and best mods for the amount of cash I have and how much you think it would cost to fix all these problems, It would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Counterpunch

• antrx.com senior member
Re: 91 Bluebird Attessa (need advice please people!)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6, 2007, 12:06PM »
From the symptons of oil from the exhaust it sounds like your turbo is shot and needs reconditioning or upgrading.  I would take the upgrading option if you can afford it.  If not buy a second hand T25G to get you by.  This may also fix the leaking coolant from the turbo.  Here are my suggestions below for the rest of your problems:

*  I would have all the seals/gaskets replaced on the engine.  I think the gasket kit is a few hundred dollars.
*  Check to make sure it is your radiator leaking and not the turbo water lines.  If it is your radiator, replace/repair or upgrade it for about $250.
*  Power steering will require a complete overall at a cost of about $800.
*  Engine mount will need replacing at about $250 from Nissan or rubber filled for about $100-$150.
*  A/C is not required for a roadworthy.  But have it checked out with an A/C expert.  If its the compressor I have a spare one.

I get the rattle noise at startup on my engine.  Though not on idle after driving.  Check oil levels.  Maybe change the oil type to something else.  Hope this helps.

Some upgrades to consider:

Ball bearing turbo = $1000-$1500
3" Exhaust including dump pipe = $1400
Custom turbo manifold = $800
S15 480cc injectors = $300
Larger fuel pump = $150
Electronic Boost Controller = $150-$350
Whiteline Suspension Kit = $800 (Well worth every dollar!)
Kings Springs Lowered Springs = $300
Chipped ECU = Ask Noss or check out in the Antrx shop
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline Sonek87

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6, 2007, 01:45PM »
Thanks alot for the info Counterpunch.

Was doing a bit more of a check up on the car today and found that the alternator was a bit noisy and loose!! Also the passenger side C.V Boot was leaking grease!

So ATM im thinking get the engine mount and the gasket kit genuine from nissan.

What would be a good turbo upgrade? And where would i go to get the exhaust and dump pipe custom made (its just that I live in Cairns and I dont trust any mechanics/performance workshops around here)? you mentioned a radiator upgrade, upgrade to what?

thanks again!  P.S where should i go to get c.v boot etc

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 6, 2007, 06:42PM »
Im worried your not gunna get many performance upgrades from your $4000. You can get a CV boot from just about any regular car parts store. If your water pipe is leaking at the turbo, it may be as simple as replacing the washers on the banjo bolt that holds it to the turbo.

I dont like the sound of the engine oil leaks and rattle at idle. Last time my engine had a rattle in it it was a spun big end bearing, this is pretty much an engine out, full rebuild job. Not saying that's what is the problem with yours, but that was the problem with mine, and I got $0 back from my $4000 I budgeted for that. Although I did opt for forged pistons. :P

A good turbo to upgrade to is a GT2871R. I don't know a lot about turbo's but this is the turbo I have on my car and I have found it to be an awesome upgrade. Of the things that counterpunch has listed, a boost controller will give you the best bang for your buck performance increase. I bought a jaycar electronic bost control and the hand controller for it for $150 and it works a charm, although you do have to put it together yourself.

In anycase, sounds like you got yourself an awesome car, cant wait to see some pics/videos   :)
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 6, 2007, 06:59PM »
In anycase, sounds like you got yourself an awesome car, cant wait to see some pics/videos   :)

yeah i wanna see some pics - sounds mad
Quote from: SECLUDED

When are you not drunk Ammerty...lol  ::) ;D

Offline Sonek87

« Reply #6 on: Dec 6, 2007, 08:00PM »
Don't like the sound of a big end bearing!!!! is there anyway I can have that checked with out engine out??
Or just drive it?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 6, 2007, 09:05PM »
Get the CV boot from a Nissan dealer, that way you know it'll fit.

Universal ones are a bitch to put on, I know because I put 4 on my U11 Bluebird a couple of months ago.

Otherwise it sounds like a matter of getting someone to rebuild the power steering stuff and alternator, then degreasing and pinpointing the engine oil leaks.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #8 on: Dec 6, 2007, 10:51PM »
I remember seeing that car for sale online.

He was asking something stupid for it in the beginning! 10k ++
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #9 on: Dec 7, 2007, 03:58AM »

Some upgrades to consider:

Whiteline Suspension Kit = $800 (Well worth every dollar!)
Kings Springs Lowered Springs = $300

I thought the Whiteline Suspension Kit had springs included ?
And they stopped making them.

I recommend a shortshifter, i have believe B&M do one. and it's worth it  :)
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Sonek87

« Reply #10 on: Dec 7, 2007, 10:18AM »
I got quoted

Full engine gasket kit-  $740

Passenger side C.V Boot- $95

Drivers side engine mount- $202.25

all genuine from Nissan parts in Cairns.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Dec 7, 2007, 10:22AM »
I got quoted

Full engine gasket kit-  $740

Passenger side C.V Boot- $95

Drivers side engine mount- $202.25

all genuine from Nissan parts in Cairns.

Do NOT buy a genuine CV boot.  They are cheap as anything.  Just pull the shaft, take it to a driveshaft place and ask them to clean, re-grease and replace the boot over the joint thats leaking... will cost you less than the 1 boot new from nissan.

Genuine nissan mounts are always going to be that expensive unfortunetly :(
« Last Edit: Dec 7, 2007, 10:28AM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #12 on: Dec 7, 2007, 01:57PM »
With CV boots if one has split then its a sure indication that the other will split soon.
And if you have been driving around for ages, like me, with split boots then you will need the joints replaced.
Most workshops will only do the boot's + joint's.
I paid $280 for new boots+joints. None Nissan was another good brand
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Sonek87

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:15PM »
just waiting on the engine mount and c.v boot.  It wasnt oil in my exhaust it was just the power steering fluid leaking onto the exhaust and causing a bit of smoke.  The turbo is fine! 
Still worried about the engine rattle but I have it booked in to see a mechanic next week so hopefully he can tell me whats wrong.  Im not going to do anything except the mount and c.v boot untill i know that i havent spun a big end bearing..  is there anyway to test to know for sure if it is a big end bearing because it could also be the timing chain because the noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine.

I just have a few more questions If you dont mind answering.

1.  Exhaust+dump pipe and pod filter.
- what would the best exhaust be ? 3inch custom made?  extractors?  even let me know what you did and how it effected performance.
-i was looking where the airflow meter is and the angle that its on and it doesn't look like you would be able to fit a pod on there.

2.  Electronic Boost controller.
-  what would be the most reasonable one to buy.  I have done some research on ebay and I just don't want to buy something shit.
-  i like the idea of having the controll over the boost(normal and high).  missile switch or whatever.
- would be good to flick that switch when some v8 commo tries to pass then leave him behind.

3. Turbo
- does the GT2871R require a custom manifold or will it fit strait in?

4.Chipped ECU or EMS.
-  really dont know mutch about either one but just wondering what would be best
if i do decide to get some bigger injectors and fuel pump. 

5.  Injectors
- what can the standard sr20 injectors handle?

Thanks everyone.

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:43PM »
The sound my car was making when it was the big end was fairly unique. At idle it was almost no sound, if you pooped the bonnet and stood there and reved it, as it was revving up, there is no sound, as it reaches it's peak is where it's at its loudest, so if you rev it up to 2500, and hold it there, I will be it's loudest here, when you let the throttle off again, the rattle will be a little quieter, or you may not even hear it. If this is what you are hearing then I would say 99% chance it's the big end. If it's not this then I don't know.

1.  Exhaust, go for a 3 inch, anything else is a waste of time cos you'll have to upgrade it later anyway. You won't buy one off the shelf, go to a good exhaust shop and have one custom built, it can be done, it is a very tight sqeeze, but I have a 3 inch exhaust all the way through, so don't let anyone tell you it wont fit!

- Pod. A pod will fit straihgt onto the standard AFM, just get a good adapter plate.

-Extractors are for non-turbo cars.

2. EBC. I don't have much expirience with this stuff, but I do have a Jaycar one on my car and it is brilliant, $150 and it is programmable across 64 points accross the injector duty cycle, very programmable, works brilliantly. Just a little hard to build/set up. Oh, and yeah you can set it up so that it switches between 2 completely different maps, so you can have your missile switch.

3. Yes, the GT2871R does go straight on, but you need a GTiR exhaust manifold and you need to modify your exhaust slightly and a few other litle things. This is my write up from when I installed mine. http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,10342.msg197507.html#msg197507

4. Why buy an aftermarket ECU when the standard one does everything you need it to? Get it chipped so that it can be modified, and have it tuned on a dyno. :)

5. Standard U13 injectors are 370cc, which I think works out to about 150kW at the wheels at the most. To change your injectors though you need to chip your ecu so it can be modded to suit the new injectors, and you should upgrade the AFM at the same time. A Z32 AFM is what I have and it allows you to tune a lot further.

Hope I've been helpful :)
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Counterpunch

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:03PM »
Slim - You are right, the suspension kit isn't available anymore.  What I meant to say was the handling kit.   This is the one with the strut brace, sway bar and bushes.  My bad.

1. I agree with Luke where you will want a 3" for the exhaust.

Turbo manifold is the same as extractors on naturally aspirated car.  You will want this custom made if you get a large turbo or you can't find that GTiR turbo manifold.  As mentioned its around $800 but will make a notable difference.  I'm still yet to have this completed on my Attesa.

2.  I have the Jaycar EBC and works fantastic!  Great value for money and has made the biggest change in performance noticed so far on my Attesa.

3.  I have the Garrett GT2530 Ball bearing turbo and is a nice fit with minimal modifications.

4.  If you can get S15 injectors they work to about 440cc with the JDM ones to 480cc.  I have a set at home of the 480cc that I'm yet to install.  I'm waiting on chipping my ECU before I can install them....hint, hint Noss ;)
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd