Author Topic: repainting the rear lower bumper.  (Read 3202 times)

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
repainting the rear lower bumper.
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 03:18PM »
i have been thinking of respraying my rear bumper of my attesa as the paint has cracked in a few places. (my car is white)

however im not sure whether it can be done by a pressure pack or DIY spray guns.
thats also depending if i can get the right color match.

has anyone repainted parts of their cars or is it just cheaper to get it done professionally...and yes im a tight ass at the moment.

id really like to get it resprayed. but that'd costs thousands
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
Re: repainting the rear lower bumper.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:50PM »
cheaper to do it yourself. Use a pressure pack if you can (less mess). Although some places will only match 500mls minimum and a pressure pack takes around 100mls so you will have a fair bit of paint left.
     If you want two pack obviously you can't have pressure packs. And with acrylic you have to paint it then leave it a month or so then buff it to make it shiny.

White is the hardest colour to colour match so don't expect it to be perfect, most places will match so it is blendable but seeing as it is a bumper you would have to blend onto the rear guards and bootlid.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:57PM »
seeing as it is a bumper you would have to blend onto the rear guards and bootlid.

No you don't... if the cracks and marks are in the middle of the bumper, you can blend it on the edges of the bumper, starting 6 inches or so before the bumper meets the rear guards.
This is exactly how i had my front bumper resprayed a few years ago, after mum accidentally backed into the front of my car.  :P
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:09PM »
true, I was assuming that he wanted the whole bumper repainted.

Also I wouldn't attempt to repaint just a patch. If you screw it up it will stick out like a sore thumb.

I used to ork in the automotive paint supply business and seen lots of uneducated n00bs make a fairly minor scratch into a big ugly patch on their car by repainting just a middle part of a bumper. If you can't blend then repaint the whole thing also if the colour match is wrong then blendinmg is almost out off the question completely.

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:09AM »
no i want to repaint the whole rear bumper, no use doing a patch.
i did spray painting for a year at tech (10yrs ago) so i have a rough idea what to do for prepping the surface.

who sells the pressure pack paint ?? ie. colour matched.
i know places like supercheap do. but trying to get a match is pretty hard.
they dont have a listing for the HNU13 attesa.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:38PM »
The best bet Fez, may be to got to a smash repairer or auto paint shop and get them to match your colour and mix you up some paint. Remember that after 10+ years of sitting in the sun, your car will probably be slightly faded compared to how it rolled off the factory floor.
Do you know anyone with one of those $200 air compressors that you can borrow? If you do, then all you need to do is spend $50 or so to buy a spray gun, fill it up with the paint that you have had mixed up and you are in business.
This way has to be better than using spray cans.... and it may well work out cheaper too?
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs