Author Topic: Ammerty's CA18DET to KA24DET KILLA!!  (Read 19167 times)

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
Ammerty's CA18DET to KA24DET KILLA!!
« on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:29PM »
So as the title says i am going to change my ca18DET u12 to a ka24DE (turbo is coming after the swap), YES its is a ca18 - not a ca20, its gonna be my new project.
The first thing i need to know is how many of the extra little engine bay bits will i need to convert? i know how to do the whole engine and the gearbox, but will the brake booster be easy to connect up? will the power steering just hook up easily? will the clutch booster be good enough and will it fit on easily? And what about all the little extra vacuum lines?
if someone has detailed pics of the engine bay of a KA24DE u13, it would be much appreciated.
also any advice from anyone that has done this conversion or any conversion before.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 06:34PM by Ammerty »
Quote from: SECLUDED

When are you not drunk Ammerty...lol  ::) ;D

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: Ammerty's CA18DET to KA24DET KILLA!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:59PM »
its a CA18DE currently boy.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:03PM »
yeah i know but the big end is gone so im just gonna chusk in a CA18DET coz i can get my hands on one of those much easier, and it will end up being cheaper than a rebuild. You up for helpin me with another engine swap luke?
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 07:07PM by Ammerty »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:06PM »
also having the few extra bits of the turbo kit from the CA18 may help when i go to put a turbo kit on the KA24DE.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:30PM »
i think we need a rathies vs ammerty thread
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:31PM »
Interesting...i thought you would have just done work on the CA18?

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:36PM »
i think that would be better too..too much bullshit making an NA motor turbo. you'd be looking at an expensive block to rebuild it with all the bells and whistles.
I decided against rebuilding mine because i'd want everything i'd be looking at a $6-10k motor, in which case i would actually (believe it or not) prefer to sell my trx lol.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 07:39PM by rathies »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:39PM »
i think that would be better too..too much bullshit making an NA motor turbo. you'd be looking at an expensive block to rebuild it with all the bells and whistles.
I decided against rebuilding mine because i'd want everything i'd be looking at a $6-10k motor, in which case i would actually (believe it or not) prefer to sell my trx lol.

yeah i would be the same way but im not rebuilding,
im talking about a complete CA18DET from some other car then i remove my f**ked CA18DE and chuck in the CA18DET engine, just for now while i save up more for the KA24DE, then i will get that rebuilt with all the "bells n whistles" + turbo kit a lil bit after that.

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE!!
i need advise on the engine conversion from the ca to the ka, how much will i have to change?
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 12:06AM by Ammerty »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:49PM »
What?

Why are you converting a CA18DE AWD RNU12 to a KA24E/T?

Just whack in a CA18DET and be done with it.  What are you going to use for an AWD gearbox with a KA24E motor in the car?  Not to mention the hassles with rear diff ratios (rear final drive) versus the front ends final drive ratio within AWD box.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:54PM »
if the bell housings aren't swappable then you'd be talking adaptor plate, if its possible, and that might entail changing the crank shaft...mm it gets complicated.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:55PM »
What?

Why are you converting a CA18DE AWD RNU12 to a KA24E/T?

Just whack in a CA18DET and be done with it.  What are you going to use for an AWD gearbox with a KA24E motor in the car?  Not to mention the hassles with rear diff ratios (rear final drive) versus the front ends final drive ratio within AWD box.

i know its alot to do but i just love the ka's and putting a KA24DE into an awd bluebird is what i've always wanted to do, not to mention the HUGE power difference of power between a KA24DE and a CA18DE, imagine a KA24DET, it's gonna be fun!!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:56PM »
The bellhousing are NOT swapable.  Because the viscous centre differential is housed within the bellhousing, making it a differant size and shape (slightly) to the FWD boxes.

Plus, and adpator plates will put everything out of whack, including the transfer case and distance with driveshafts, etc etc

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:59PM »
sounds like someone forgot to do thier homework hey dean? 

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:02PM »
i looked into this..

you can't do it, you can't even bolt up the sr20 one, the transfer case off the awd running gear will hit the starter motor.

you will not find the same rear diff ratio if you decide to opt for the awd van setup.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:06PM »
how bouts a GRTIR box?

sounds like someone forgot to do thier homework hey dean? 

this is my homework tool!!
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 08:12PM by Ammerty »

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:10PM »
gtir is very similar to the u13/hnu12 AWD boxes..... different ratios i think. I'ld assume that it would have the same issues as above.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:13PM »
imma investigate, just so you guys know, its manual,

The bellhousing are NOT swapable.  Because the viscous centre differential is housed within the bellhousing, making it a different size and shape (slightly) to the FWD boxes.

Plus, and adpator plates will put everything out of whack, including the transfer case and distance with driveshafts, etc etc

viscous centre differential, huh???
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007, 08:16PM by Ammerty »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:53PM »
Anything is possible.

Even if you have to machine off the flange on the gearbox you want to use and have a new adaptor welded on. ;D

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:22PM »
Anything is possible.

But for a KA24ET... the time and money spent would be better spent on building a super tough CA18DET.

imma investigate, just so you guys know, its manual,

viscous centre differential, huh???

The centre differential... 4WD system in the car...

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:05AM »
But for a KA24ET...

everyone keeps saying KA24ET - its gonna be a ka24Det, coz its slightly more tune-able, also twin cam = bout 15-20kw at the wheels xtra, also i know a fair bit of the sr20 parts are inter-changeable

The centre differential... 4WD system in the car...
so by the viscous thigamabob not lining up you mean because of the engine the gearbox is gonna have to move to one side or the driveshaft that comes out of the clutch n connecting into the gearbos is gonna be out of line when bolted on - right? lol i sound like a noob and a half "thingamabob"

Anything is possible.

Even if you have to machine off the flange on the gearbox you want to use and have a new adaptor welded on. ;D

cheers for the support n advise, everyone is saying IT CAN'T BE DONE, well i know it can be, n i'm gonna prove it!! Also i know anything is possible provided you have the money to back it up. i mean look at hiro's VG30 pintara. I'm not looking for ways that it cant be done. So please some advise on how it might be done would be great.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 12:13AM by Ammerty »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:14AM »
Also i know anything is possible provided you have the money to back it up. i mean look at hiro's VG30 pintara. I'm not looking for ways that it cant be done. So please some advise on how it might be done would be great.

*high fives ammerty* :P :D

Good luck too you :)

I don't wanna sound like a total asshat, but you probably need to learn more about how the U12 ATTESA system works before you even think about an engine swap like a KA24DET.

The complications don't really lie with the engine itself, or its wiring/managment.  More so, with the gearbox/driveshafts/transfer case and even the engine mounts... which the KA24DE will not have in the correct locations (ie: front/rear torque mounts on the AWD's for example).

Think less of it as a-  "don't put a KA24DET into it man, your an ass clown... CA18DET for the win"... i'm trying to say, it almost seems wastefull when the chassis/engine bay is already setup for the CA18DET.  And when built properly, they are certainly no slouch.

Then, on the other hand I have been a constant supporter of people like adam/noss/bungs/chris who have all stuck by their KA's.  Its a very unique option, one that would come with unique benefits (in this case, in the form of LOTS of torque :)) and also lots of problems and obstacles to be overcome getting it too work!

And with that, good luck again!
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 12:17AM by Budgie »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:22AM »
I don't wanna sound like a total asshat, but you probably need to learn more about how the U12 ATTESA system works before you even think about an engine swap like a KA24DET.

The complications don't really lie with the engine itself, or its wiring/managment.  More so, with the gearbox/driveshafts/transfer case and even the engine mounts... which the KA24DE will not have in the correct locations (ie: front/rear torque mounts on the AWD's for example).

Think less of it as a-  "don't put a KA24DET into it man, your an ass clown... CA18DET for the win"... i'm trying to say, it almost seems wastefull when the chassis/engine bay is already setup for the CA18DET.  And when built properly, they are certainly no slouch.

well put, i am already putting in a new CA18DET as opposed to the already in there and stuffed CA18DE,
i only really want the KA24DET coz well i'm a sukka for KA's,
also more displacement n torque,
and that i dont think anyone on this site has turbo'd one yet nor has anyone done it in a (rare in aus) RNU12 bluebird Attessa.
i have seen how bloody powerful a stock NA KA24DE can be and i am really anxious to see how it goes with a turbo (i'm trying my hardest not to sound like some ricer punk, FOOLY SIK lol)
But i will have to take everything into account before i do it, or i could be a slack bugger n just pay some guy a crazy amount of money to do it for me, wich is probably what i will end up doing.

cheers for the luck, it sound like i'm gonna need it.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 12:29AM by Ammerty »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:22AM »
research the crap out of it..

i saw first hand a transfer case from a sr20 running gear will not bolt up to the block, it hit the starter. so something needs to be different there...

ka24De will give you better power once you start modifying, the extra cam helps breathing by far.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:27AM »
Think of the KA24DE as the CA18DE's "counterweight challenged" big brother. (meaning, the KA doesn't have a full counterweighted crank like the CA18)

The design of both these engines is very similar; and given the time/money, i'd go with a DE head too.

Offline MAG86

• antrx.com senior member
  • L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:45AM »
CA18DET FOR TEH WIN BRO!!!

with the amount of time, money, and arsing around, you could put in a ca18det in the atessa, and buy a whole other U12 (Ti of course...) and build a turbo Ka24DE for that, then you would have your fun daily RNU12... with boost! aswell a the animal KA24det for play time...
it all depends (as most things do) on how much cash you have,
it is taking chr!5 over $5000 to rebuild his 24e, i would think it would take ALOT more to rebuild and turbo a DE,

a CA18det is getting rarer every month too... im afraid to say it but the best bang for your bucks will be a SR20det..... and im sure that blue one is still in S.A. with all the atessa gear (it was non-turbs...)

[0O\======/O0]

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:57AM »
mmmm sr20  ;D

but seriously, ka24det in an AWD drive would be insane - and i don't think I've ever seen/heard of anyone putting one in a rnu12. and as others had said, anything is possible with $$$
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:26AM »
think about the poor attesa box, if this car lives like your current one (old engine) did dean it'll only be good for one trip around the block..lol

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:41AM »
[SARCASM] Dont be an ass-clown! CA20DET ftw!  ;D [/SARCASM]

As for the ka24det attesa... well... as many have mentioned, and particularly budgie... Your looking at a massive headache. And i mean huge. Trying to get the crossmember to sit correctly is going to cause enough drama to probably give you a sub-cranial haematoma. But, as they say, Go nuts! If you have the budget for it, the time, and the patience... then it would be a hell of a thing to see! :D

But do your research properly. And i mean properly. Find yourself an RNU12 factory service manual if possible (doesnt matter if its in japanese... pretty pictures are all youll need :P) and as much info on cross members, structual strength, alignment, and everything else swapping an engine like that entails.

When i was planning my CA20DET, i spent easily 4 months researching everything that needed to be done, and if it was possible. And thats just a HEAD swap!

Good luck mate, and hope to see a project thread soon! :D

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:43AM »
SR is overrated.

mag, it's not going to cost me $5k to build my KA for turbo duty, possibly $4k maximum; however in saying that, i am doing all the assembly/parts sourcing myself. only work i am paying to have done is the machine work i do not have the equipment to do so.

$1100 has gone straight away on forged rods and pistons, another $300 on stainless oversize valves, $400 for the new cam, $150 for valve springs, $120 for headgasket/valvestem seals, $300 for OEM bearings, $250 for ARP head/main studs.

So far that's over $2600 without machine work (add another $1500).

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:47AM »
Find yourself an RNU12 factory service manual if possible (doesnt matter if its in japanese... pretty pictures are all youll need :P)

If anyone EVER finds one of these, I will sell my left nut for it :P  They are fucking impossible to find.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:58AM »
Add 400 or so if you want assembly done as well. Its not as expensive as you may think to get stuff done. I was planning on assembliing it myself, but then thought, they have plastigauge, micrometres, calipers and dial gauges, and have the balancing equipment as well, why not. Couple hundred bucks for piece of mind.

And the SR is the most overrated engine in the world. People like it cause its newer. Thats it. If you look at what u need done to one to get it upto scratch, the same money put into a CA will produce better results. Cam on bucket people! :D

And as rathies said.... re-enforce that box. Take it to a specialist to check the synchros, and the bellhousing. Im not 100% sure of what fails, but bellhousings crack, and syncos get fried. Being upto 20 years old... id get all drivetrain components checked for damage as well (diffs, cv's and axles)

If anyone EVER finds one of these, I will sell my left nut for it :P  They are fucking impossible to find.

Ill make it a mission in life, just to get that left nut  ;)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:09AM »
And the SR is the most overrated engine in the world. People like it cause its newer. Thats it. If you look at what u need done to one to get it upto scratch, the same money put into a CA will produce better results. Cam on bucket people! :D

Don't get me started!

And as rathies said.... re-enforce that box. Take it to a specialist to check the synchros, and the bellhousing. Im not 100% sure of what fails, but bellhousings crack, and syncos get fried. Being upto 20 years old... id get all drivetrain components checked for damage as well (diffs, cv's and axles)

The major thing, is that the CA18DE 5spd box in this car has done over 250,000km hasn't it?  The box in mine had done 99,000km when I bolted it to my CA18DET.  Solid as a rock.  But thats with 150,000 less km's.  The gearbox would be the weakest link in a KA24DET for sure.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:40PM »
I am with budgie and Eurisko on this one. Stick to the CA18DET. Everything has already been engineered by nissan and its works.

If your still after a challenge, through in a RB and all wheel drive. At least you know the RB gearboxes are bullet proof.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:39PM »
with the amount of time, money, and arsing around, you could put in a ca18det in the atessa, and buy a whole other U12 (Ti of course...) and build a turbo Ka24DE for that, then you would have your fun daily RNU12... with boost! aswell a the animal KA24det for play time...

the entire reason of doing up the ATESSA bluey is to have better traction to go with such a powerful engine, therefore making my take-offs better. i know about the drivetrain from the AWD.

The major thing, is that the CA18DE 5spd box in this car has done over 250,000km hasn't it?  The box in mine had done 99,000km when I bolted it to my CA18DET.  Solid as a rock.  But thats with 150,000 less km's.  The gearbox would be the weakest link in a KA24DET for sure.

true, i will have to get the box reinforced then, if i use it wif the KA24DET, i might still have to wnd up using the GRi-R one if it turns out cheaper and/or gives me more power.

i found a guy who has a manual hnu13 attessa box, i know it runs an sr20 but i know i couple people who have done KA24 - SR20 conversions, using what was apparently a vary cheap adaptor plate and that was it, im just hopeing a u13box will bolt in to the u12 and that the adaptor plate idea should work both ways right? i'mma go ask my mechanic mate of mine, he does conversions all the time...
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 01:52PM by Ammerty »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:50PM »
Again, the problem does not lie with the gearbox itself... but with the AWD transfer case that sits behind the block on the AWD's.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:53PM »
you mean the problem with the starter motor location again, or the drive train not being in the right spot, or needing to be shorter/longer??

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:08PM »
All three.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:33PM »
lol - GREAT!!

i talked to my mechanic friend n he said its possible but i'm gonna need to talk to some other guy (he gave me his number) who can modify the bell housing fo me. he also said i'm probably lookin at about 2000 for it too.
and then the conversion he could do for me for 5000, and to put all the little bells n whistles on it (eg. work the head, balance cranc, rebuild, forgies, turbo kit, ect.) will be about 10'000, but that doesnt phase me because i can get and do all those xtras myself and it'll end up being alot cheaper.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 02:44PM by Ammerty »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
CA18DET to SR20DET
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:54PM »
well i have decided i will just go for my backup, i know someone selling a manual sr20det attessa out of a u12 bluebird so imma jus grab that n chuck it in, the sr20 is a complete front cut so its gonna be fun convertin it.i think at least this way its gonna be alot cheaper than the KA24DE.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 05:22PM by Ammerty »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:56PM »
I want the clock from it :P !!!

Shotgun!  PM me a price when you get the cut.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:03PM »
do you mean the time clock? yeah you can have it when i get it. i'll pm you.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007, 06:10PM by Ammerty »

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:49PM »
well i have decided i will just go for my backup, i know someone selling a manual sr20det attessa out of a u12 bluebird so imma jus grab that n chuck it in, the sr20 is a complete front cut so its gonna be fun convertin it.i think at least this way its gonna be alot cheaper than the KA24DE.

now that sounds more like it  ;)  :P
u12 sr20

Offline timmy

• antrx.com senior member
  • whatever floats your boat
« Reply #42 on: Feb 5, 2007, 10:06PM »
why waste a perfectly good car.. stick to ca18det for your CA bluebird.

OR

buy a KA bluebird and turbo that.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #43 on: Feb 5, 2007, 10:19PM »
he's determined to annihalate me. we seriously need that thread. He'll deny this too.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #44 on: Feb 5, 2007, 10:33PM »
do you mean the time clock? yeah you can have it when i get it. i'll pm you.

Sweet, I will hold you too that :P :D

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 5, 2007, 11:47PM »
He'll deny this too.

geez now i cant say anything,
no its not to beat you, you've known that since i first saw a ka24de in action i've wanted one... WAY before you even thought about turbo'in your trx.

why waste a perfectly good car.. stick to ca18det for your CA bluebird.

OR

buy a KA bluebird and turbo that.

i've always liked the RNU12 bluebird attessa's and also (as said before) same goes for a KA24DE, however you cant get a KA24 bluey of any sort in all wheel drive, so i thought why dont i just make it that way. Having said that - i know its possible but it costs big bucks - so i figured why not spend a hell of alot less n just SR20DET it.
« Last Edit: Feb 5, 2007, 11:59PM by Ammerty »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #46 on: Feb 6, 2007, 09:40AM »
SR FTL. You do realize that the CA is far better engineered motor than the SR....

Bore it out to 1.9, do a decent valvetrain and it'll rev to 9k each and every day without fail.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #47 on: Feb 6, 2007, 09:49AM »
Damn straight. Ca18det valvetrain components are cheap as chips. Cams, solid lifters, valvesprings and bigger valves will set you back just under 1.5k. Just with that u can rev the hell out of it without worrying about silly rocker arms flying everywhere... or the weak aluminium block overheating and warping :P

CA20DET ftw. Just wait till i get it done.... then people will think twice. :D

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #48 on: Feb 6, 2007, 12:03PM »
my n/a ka wins.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #49 on: Feb 6, 2007, 02:28PM »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 6, 2007, 05:13PM »
ok geez...

i'll go both ways n make a ca20Det, i know someone esle is doin it, i just cant remember who. i think that way i can use the ca18 extra bits round the engine and the ca18de head with the ca20 block, i'lll have to use an aftermarket ecu though - wich doesnt phase me at all. im just tryin to squeeze as much displacement n power as i can with my budget - the budget being $5000
« Last Edit: Feb 6, 2007, 05:15PM by Ammerty »

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 6, 2007, 05:43PM »
maybe i should just buy this...

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=12695.0

EDIT: LOL HELL NO, its auto, i HATE auto
« Last Edit: Feb 6, 2007, 05:45PM by Ammerty »

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #52 on: Feb 6, 2007, 06:38PM »
ok geez...

i'll go both ways n make a ca20Det, i know someone esle is doin it, i just cant remember who. i think that way i can use the ca18 extra bits round the engine and the ca18de head with the ca20 block, i'lll have to use an aftermarket ecu though - wich doesnt phase me at all. im just tryin to squeeze as much displacement n power as i can with my budget - the budget being $5000

WOOOT WOOOT! :D

Thatll be me mate... check my project thread. 5K should cover it all.... especially if you already have the ca18det engine and attesa body :D

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=11513.0

No need for an aftermarket ecu... ca18det ecu should be fine for stock to 12psi boost. After that, apexi PowerFC ftw. Cheap too.. round 400 bucks for a second hand unit. With a properly built ca20det motor... figures of 400hp arent out of the question, its been done before  ;D

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 6, 2007, 09:41PM »
lol at least i know if i need help i can ask you - cheers mate

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:28PM »
ok so i just read something that made me think - i know it would cost a shitload, so I'M NOT GONNA DO IT but imagine an RB26DETT, with the AWD gearbox, and before you ask, it would have to be north-south as the RB gearbox is that way, it'd be crazy, difficult and fun!!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #55 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:31PM »
put it north south, modify the firewall and take out the front seats. the back seats are where you'd end up when that thing pulls away.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:33PM »
yeah - just outta curiosity imm find out prices, lol, imma say it again - im not actually gonna do it but it would be so nice.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #57 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:41PM »
...just buy a r32 gtr? :P
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #58 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:42PM »
mmm r32 very sexy  :)

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 7, 2007, 06:48PM »
lol that'd save alot of hassle

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #60 on: Feb 7, 2007, 08:17PM »
Cheap and effective, get an R32 gtst4 front cut. RB20DET and all-wheel-drive box. Modification to the firewall wouldn't be that pricey. Check it out.

Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 7, 2007, 08:28PM »
lol i will - maybe this will happen, ofcourse the driveshafts are gonna be annoying, also the engine mounts, but i think that'd be it.
« Last Edit: Feb 7, 2007, 08:30PM by Ammerty »

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #62 on: Feb 8, 2007, 06:07AM »
From what I have read a early 1990's laural share's a floor pan with the U12. The laural came out with a RB25DET and all wheel drive gear box was a option.

Good old Nissan.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 8, 2007, 05:11PM »
oooh i will have to check it out - cheers mate,
also anyone who knows, if i made a CA20DET how would the internals do? are they as good as a CA18?? or should i upgrade them.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #64 on: Feb 8, 2007, 06:07PM »
>.<

you can buy other branded pistons that match the spec of a ca20...evo pistons, honda pistons..

forged pistons are forged.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #65 on: Feb 8, 2007, 06:29PM »
too much fucking around imo. I'm sure as hell not helping build a motor, but i might help swap one lol.

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #66 on: Feb 8, 2007, 07:12PM »
i wasnt trying to make you build it - lol

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #67 on: Feb 8, 2007, 08:51PM »
too much fucking around imo. I'm sure as hell not helping build a motor, but i might help swap one lol.

Bah! Its nowhere near as hard as people put it out to be. Like i mentioned Ammerty, I have full details and specs in my project thread.

But the nitty gritty -

No. The CA20 internals are *nowhere* near as tuff as the ca18det internals. Conrods are weak, and flimsy, and the pistons are more likely to fail. An easy swap is Mitsubishi 4G63 conrods with the big end width reduced 1.8mm and a bush to reduce the small end size to 21mm. Forged pistons can be either Mitsubishi or the ones im using, Honda B20B4 with the B16/A head from a CRV. All these will fit, no dramas. Your block will need to be machined and whatnot. To get the internals done, isnt that expensive. People are just fucking lazy, and want everything prepackaged and done for them for no cost.  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #68 on: Feb 9, 2007, 06:11AM »
its easy... and you learn..

if i could do it and im 17, why cant you ?

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #69 on: Feb 9, 2007, 08:48AM »
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=11513.msg189620#msg189620

The actual information needed. All numbers are accurate, and verified.

Offline pumbaplus

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2007, 02:47AM »
Does anyone have any more info on this mistical , magical , transverse 2.4 ka terrano box?
any info on mounting points, height etc,?

I imagine they are good on power holding as they came on 4 x4s.... anyone know ?
even where to get a box and engine in melboure would be really appreciated....

Thanks

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #71 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:14AM »
This is old sure but it needs clearing up. The Nissan terrano gearbox is a Part time 4wd system like the Navara's, Pathfinder, Patrol. They have a big transfer case hanging off the rear of the gearbox.

There is no way in hell you will get the Navara, Pathfinder, Terrano gearbox into a U12. The closest thing you could possibly get to work would be a Nissan Xtrail gearbox. East west layout but it still a part time 4wd system.

Good old Nissan.