Author Topic: Intermittent choke/heat while driving  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Intermittent choke/heat while driving
« on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:32AM »
Hi guys,

For a while now, on a cold start my car acts strange if I just drive through my streets (top speed of ~40 in 2nd due to excessive speed bumps). The belts whine really loudly after doing this for a little while - i always just put it down to a bad grounding issue I still can't figure out.

Last night it got worse. I was driving along in 5th, doing 80km/h, and the car just lost power completely - no dash lights came on, thank god, and none went out, the engine just started dipping in revs as if I'd let go of the throttle. I pushed the throttle in a fair bit, and after about a second it woke up with a bit of a punch and kept going. When it was slowing down the temperature went up quite quickly, from half way in the gauge to about 3/4 and stayed there until I turned on the heater to help it out a bit.

This happened several times on the trip into and out of the city. I've since started the car this morning and it's it's normal whingey self (cold), but didnt' do any of that hot crap.

So! I've got NFI where to start looking. Distributor problems? Or loose sensors? Only thing that's changed since I last drove it is that I jacked it up, tightened up a loose bolt on the sway bar, decided I had no time for anything else and hence dropped it. I've checked all my sensors and plugs in the engine bay and they're all secure. from what I can tell. No fluids are leaking either (HOLY CRAP how long has it been since I can say that? :P)

So... he;lp? =/

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
Re: Intermittent choke/heat while driving
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:24PM »
when its a cold start does it sound like a super charger blower? mine does that... thought it was stuff being cold...
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Intermittent choke/heat while driving
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:45PM »
I use to get that. It was a leak related to the swirl control valve. But no, the issue is different.

Heads up: I believe the coolant temp sender is faulty, temperature was fluxuating a fair bit today, but there was no idle problems, nor any response/power issues. No unpleasant noises, and the car was at it's regular temperature when I pulled up.

So, having understood it's two seperate issues - crank angle sensor, or diz cap? Anyone wanna take bets? I'll pull up the error codes tomorrow if I don't end up at work, if it's not that it'll be my bet that it's the diz cap/rotor button...