Author Topic: help on wiring headunit  (Read 1438 times)

Offline aylesy

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
help on wiring headunit
« on: May 20, 2004, 07:06PM »
i recently baught a pioneer headunit and im trying to rig it up into the trx but do not know which wires in the stock harness are constant/acc, 12v or + ?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 08:04PM by aylesy »

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: help on wiring headunit
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 08:56PM »
Hey, unless you've got a manual (gregory's or similar) the easiest way i have found is using elimation. Normally its pretty easy to work out which ones are for the speakers so if you get down to having three left there will be a black one which is normally ground (i say normally, some car manufacturers like to be pains and change the colour of world standard. go figure?) Neway that normally leaves you with two wires. one will be straight from the batt, and the other will be run  though ignition. from your head unit connect the ignition and memory(batt) lead together. then with your unit plugged in and the ground connected, also connect your antanna (some use this as a ground as well) with the ignition off touch the wire (12v and ign) from your head unit to one of the wires and try and turn your unit on. if it comes on, you know that it is the batt lead. if nothing happens turn your acc. on and try switching the unit on. if it works this way you know that it is the ignition lead.

Its kinda hard to explain but hope it helps

Let me know how you go.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 12:57PM »
if you dont really know what your doing get help...quite easy to blow a h/u. now go to supercheap and buy a $2 test light......i have one of these and it works just fine......this will help you find what wires are what. hook the neg (-) side of the test light to the key (best earth in the car) and start poking wires and see which ones light up....the one that lights up when the car key is off is the constant wire and the wire that turns off and on with the car is the acc wire.

[Barnett]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline aylesy

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 08:41PM »
thanks alot i got the job done, it wasnt as hard as i thought once i had a good look at what was going on...
thanks