Author Topic: Ignition light  (Read 2758 times)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
Ignition light
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:57PM »
I've heard that TR.X's have a light for the igniton thing. Mine doesn't have one but i had a look and there is a hole. I want to put a LED in there but have no idea what to hook it up to. The LED's came with wires etc so I jus need to plug 'em in essentially.....but where??

Any help would be appreciated very much because I have limited knowledge in electrical matters  ::)

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
Re: Ignition light
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:09PM »
Hmmm... Ignition light...

LEDs arent just a simple matter of pluging them in... they need a dropping resistor so they dont get blown by the 12v. 50ohm resistor should be enough (LEDs draw 250mA dont they? I cant remember....)

Nonetheless, its still not as simple as that...

You can have it running off 12V mains supply... meaning its running 24/7... but i dont think you want that.

Um... running off the door switches are also, pretty useless... cause that would mean the main light is on. Which would make it pretty redundant.

Adding a switch is the only quick solution.

You COULD be hardcore and add a delay circut as seen in many newer cars, that gradually Dim the internal light after the door has been closed. I think i saw them sold at Jaycar not to long ago.

But, if u just want an led... wire in a resistor, K goes to positive, A goes to negative, bam your done.

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:33PM »
It says on the packet that you can connect directly to the 12V power supply....."Connect the red wire ( + ) to a live 12V supply that is part of the switch igniton system".

Why can't I jus plug it into the same thing that the TRX's do?? Im sure it would be the same just with no light.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:53PM »
Ohh you bought a pre-built pack thingie... I thought you just had a bare LED.

If it says you can connect it to +12V, then yeap, you can certainly do that.

Just find a wire that has 12v (anything usually Red, or White or white with a red stripe etc.... Use a multimeter or Test lamp) and splice in.

Should be fairly easy.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:57PM »
Well I was thinking to make all the wiring easier i would wire it up to the place where the TRX's have it wired. Does anyone know where this is and if their is even one on a pintara T?

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:03PM »
Ive got a GLI, so i cant help you by looking...

But ive looked through the FSM, and all the wiring diagrams, I cant seem to find any mention of a Ignition light...

The wiring Harnesses also dont mention them.

Maybe Ive overlooked them...

Someone with a TRX can help u more... sorry mate!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:05PM »
Nah thanx heaps for your help!

Anyone with a TRX keen to look for me or let me know pls??? plenty of +ve karma....

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 06:27PM »
On my ti theres a black connector that come out underneath the steering column. I can take pics later for you if need be.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:17PM »
It says on the packet that you can connect directly to the 12V power supply....."Connect the red wire ( + ) to a live 12V supply that is part of the switch igniton system".

Why can't I jus plug it into the same thing that the TRX's do?? Im sure it would be the same just with no light.

mm, maybe get a book on simple circuit work and electronics :)

i can lend you a hand if you like ;)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:17PM »
Im pretty sure it lights up when i open the door, i've got a 5000mcd white LED on mine.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:29PM »
There should be a two pin plug near the key barrel somewhere, take off the steering column cover and have a poke around :)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:44PM »
Yep, there is a little LED that sticks out of a hole, aimed at the ignition hole from the side of the steering collum.

I got one (wiring/resistor/LED) out of a corsair ghia ages ago, to put in my GL.  Never did.  Its just a two plug connector as Jono said, with a resistor on the 12v line to make the LED work.

The bluebirds have them, but they are a damn sight better ;)  Note the glowing ring around the ignition key hole... Open the door and this 'ring' comes on, along with the roof lamp.

dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:01PM »
just connect it straight up to the mains I say. it'll go for at least 2 months before your battery even drops half a volt. I've got the light in my trx, it comes on when the door is opened. regardless of wether the roof light is set to on or not.
connect the positive to live power (the thick yellow wire in your ignition loom) then lift the carpet and find the wire for your door switch and connect the negative to that. then it will always come on when the door is open.

remember that the LED will not light up if the positive and negative wires are not correct (also known as polarity). if you are not sure open the bonnet and put each wire onto the battery and see if it lights up. pay attention to what wire goes with each pole. you might want to add a fuse into the equation somehwere on the positive wire.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2006, 08:15PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:12PM »
It could get annoying at night, a bright light reflecting off your dash, not to mention stuffing up your night vision on dark roads.

Besides, there should be wiring already there for it, Ts use the same wiring loom as Tis and TRXs.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:16PM »
alright so maybe the first suggestion isn't practical. if you don't have factory wiring for the LED then use my suggestion. if there is factory wiring in all models. i dont see how not installing the LED can save nissan 60 cents.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:09PM »
The wiring isn't in the GL, GLi and Executive models but it is in everything else.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!