Author Topic: How hard would this rice be? *ducks for cover*  (Read 6984 times)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
How hard would this rice be? *ducks for cover*
« on: Dec 8, 2005, 02:12PM »
I'm kind of curious on putting neons in my interior. Nothing too nuts but just in foot wells and under front seats. And have an aircraft style switch in the dash. Can anyone tell me how hard that installation would be? i wouldn't want to plug into ciggie lighter thing either, it is rice but don't want it to be half assed.

Any feedback would be accepted..even constructive criticism.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
Re: How hard would this rice be? *ducks for cover*
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8, 2005, 02:19PM »
if you have a soldering iron, a drill, and some basic electronics knowledge, then easy as..

the switch is easily mounted if you take out the section of the dash (or watever you're mounting the switch to) and just drill into it.

all you would have to do is find a constant +12v source (cigarette lighter, headdeck, horn etc etc), a nice ground and you're done.

probably a half days work i reckon, depending on how many neons you're mounting 
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #2 on: Dec 8, 2005, 06:07PM »
Not a neon supporter, but footwell lighting isn't so bad IMO.

Could get your neons or whatever from your rice dealer, or theres Jaycar, they sell that kind of stuff (Small tubes) and all kinds of switches etc.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #3 on: Dec 8, 2005, 06:45PM »
i've done this in my own car, it was the first thing i did when i got it lol. piles of piss is the answer. zip ties hold em under the front seats to light up the back, wedged in/zip tied in the front passenger. double sided tape on the driver side, on the inside of the dash panel bit.
if you're worried about the gayness. that comes from the aircraft switch. its a car not a plane mate. I suggest you get something small that wont stand out like it was stolen from qantas.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 8, 2005, 07:33PM »
Neons are easy as. Just mount em then run all your wires to the one spot, put all the + wires on one side of a switch and ground the other wires to a metal part of the body. Run a wire from the other side of the switch to a power source like the wiring behind the cigarette lighter socket.

The + wire is the one with the white stripe, or if there's a black stripe on one then that's the - wire.

If you want to make sure which is which, the wire that goes to the tip of the cigarette lighter plug is the + wire.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Dec 8, 2005, 09:20PM »
I don't mind interior neons, but like the rest said,

Just piggyback it from your cigarette lighter, and put the switch in between one rail of wires (not across positive and negative like i once did when i was younger :P) and your done...
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:05PM »
Okay I had a look and I wanna put them under the front seats (not sure how to mount) and foot wells. I can see space for the tube on drivers side but its all uneven on passengers side...so not sure where to put it. Some pics may be appreciated rathies...any idea on cost too? Did you zip tie them to the springs under the seat or what? I was thinking of mounting them to that bump on the floor under front of seat so it would throw light to back and a bit out sides but not sure.
Thanks

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:09PM »
i got the tubes for $15 each. they come with shitloads of wire so you just chop it up and use what you need. the tubes wont light up if you fuck the poliarty up, thats as easy as switching the wires. A switch should set you back about $3 from dick smith. the tubes are 20cm long and I got them from supercheap auto. I also put 2 tubes in my boot so it has an uber cool green light. thats as easy as ripping the old light out and joining it to those 2 wires.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:10PM »
Thanks for the quick reply...what about mounting? Do you know what I'm talking bout with the bump?

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:13PM »
it wont throw enough light if you put it on the bump. put it on the underside of the seat close to the back. when they're all in sit back in the middle and see if you can see any of the tubes. looks cooler if you can see em. you'll need to put about 5 ties in different places along the back. due to some freaky phemonenon they tend to fall down otherwise.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:18PM »
It may just be easier to get some tubes and try mount em and have a play instead of asking a sh*t load of questions hey? But did you zip tie em to the springs on the underside or what? What you mount em on?

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:22PM »
the tubes fitted perfectly horizontaly under my seats. i just zip tied it to the mesh parts under the seat. make sure theres enough slack in the cable to allow the seat to move around and not pull on it. also make sure the cable cant get stuck in the track or any other moving parts.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:28PM »
Wicked...thanks mate. May look into it very seriously now. I wonder if parents consider that a mod......

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:32PM »
its a visual mod yes. Dont go pouring money into your car if they dont want you do. you can always do it later on. at least they wont see it until you turn it on. just hide the packaging elsewhere and they'll never know.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Dec 8, 2005, 11:41PM »
Yeh I think it will wait a while, next week sounds good...  ;D. Um I think I will wait a while then chat to parents about my curfew. I would need dad's help anyways (I'm pretty hopeless at DIY's, no matter how easy it is i manage to over-complicate the process  ::)) But yeh when i get it done i'll post pics fo' shizzle.
Thanks for help and feedback.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Dec 9, 2005, 05:53AM »
I wonder if parents consider that a mod......

If it's your car, you shouldn't be answering to your parents about what you want to do to it.

Avoid aircraft-style switches (like the ones with the red flip covers) as cops tend to enjoy grilling people about them if you get pulled over.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #16 on: Dec 9, 2005, 08:46AM »
Yeh it's more the fact that they think its a waste of money so if go through with the curfew they won't worry that I've wasted money etc
Meh  ;D I hear ya with the aircraft switch too

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Dec 9, 2005, 12:28PM »
I think you should use CCFL tubes, ok they break easier, but mount them where they can't be kicked..

The produce a shitload of more light and have a stronger colour..
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: Dec 9, 2005, 07:46PM »
Wtf are CCFL tubes?

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #19 on: Dec 9, 2005, 08:11PM »
Cold Cathode Flurescent (sp) Lights?

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2005, 10:40AM »
wait until you do yr12 physics mate, then you will find out about all this shit!!!

its quite interesting.

oh and btw just a little question : Do your paretns monitor your bank account?

if not just go and buy the shit, install it when there not home and your sweet!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2005, 11:28PM »
Monitor my bank account? Uh no they arn't complete dragons..lol. Nah its ll cool, i can wait.

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:46AM »
i mounted neon's in my fiancee's car (red twin cam corolla hatch), underneath the front seats and underneath the front kickboards, one end was run straight to the battery (with an inline fuse) and the earth end was run to the door interior light switches, so when the doors open, the neons light up so that could be something to consider as well...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:33AM »
hahah that's a pretty cool idea :P, or you can have a switch in series, so if you don't want them lighting up so someone doesn't see it, just open the circuit, then when you want to show your friends, flick the switch on and open the door and zomg it's a rave bro ! :P

wait until you do yr12 physics mate, then you will find out about all this shit!!!

Sounds like im going to kill physics already.

bdw jay, if u don't know how to wire it all up (inc. the switch or not) gimme a buzz on msn and i'll draw it up for you, i can get you CCFL's or neons posted to your door too if you want.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2005, 09:34AM by chr1S »

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:52AM »
Thanks chris, depends on when i may do it, maybe late january when i've got some cash but yeh that would be really good mate!

That idea sounds sweet with the door but my interior lights dont come on as it is so i dunno how thatll work  ;D

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:38PM »
hey Jay,  its one thing researching all this stuff, but like in life anyone can be a master of theory. However, no one can truly understand the ART until the get to the practical side.

so jsut go and buy on eof 2 neons from any joint at marion and rig them up, its not going to cost you more that $20-30 bucks.

surely the rents wont care about $30, geex you would blow that going to the movies etc.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:14PM »
best thing to do for a switch is to go to a wrecker and get a hazard lights/rear demister switch and use up one of those spare spots for them on your dash. this is what i did in my Gli, nice and inconspicuous.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:45PM »
Or better yet, a fog light switch  8)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Gangstanza

• antrx.com junior member
    • Iexbeta
« Reply #28 on: Jan 7, 2006, 03:02AM »
I did this in my Stanza, with the CCFL's that go in computer cases. 4 of them, wired into a sound sensor (to pulse with music lol) then i just hard wired them to the cigarette lighter wires and put them on a switch. They burned out when my friend used the cigarette lighter one day while they were on... they all died and i chucked them in the garbage. Done.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Jan 7, 2006, 10:06AM »
yeah.. that's why you isolate them as cigarette lighters can pull more current than they need lol...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:38PM »
yeah.. that's why you isolate them as cigarette lighters can pull more current than they need lol...

Wha??  ???
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline subdued

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2006, 11:17PM »
ive got some blue neons underneath my seats, and didnt bother buying a switch, and i connected them to my demister switch.. just to be even more sneaky  :P. works quite well.. not sure how to post a photo.. but yea.. it looks good i reckon

Offline mike1988

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:35AM »
its really not that hard to wire up itll just take a little trial and error to see were they will put out the most visible light