Author Topic: new member here, with a U13  (Read 2208 times)

Offline evil_weevil

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
new member here, with a U13
« on: Sep 7, 2009, 10:32PM »
hey guys n gals,
Ive had my U13 LX 5sp for almost 2 years - its just my daily, nothing special - does the job...kinda!!!

So now,
few issues have come up..

but mainly, its the flat spot that Ive read so much on here already!

The most common answer is the stage 2 or 3 "chip". Ive had a bit of a look, and seen these, but on that garageII site, dont know if I missed it but see it for U12's and not u13's! is there a difference? (Im used to RB motors and BP motors - know nothing bout these!)

my u13 has major flat spotting and its just freakin annoying!

Is there any other known method besides this "chip?" that can resolve this?
Like changing leads, spark plugs, fuel filter?

All thats done to mine is a cold air feed and k & n pannel filter, sweet FA really!

So I guess,
first of all - would doing those things (leads/plugs/fuelfilter) help? or am I just to go straight for the chip?

Its a car I dont want to spend money on as Ill be selling it early next year, and plus my funds go to my 2F log booked mx5 track car!

so cheapest - easiest fix?

Thanks for taking time to read,
many thanks,
Chris

oh, something minor, my aircon....doesnt work on levels 1, 2 and 3! works on 4 though!!! any tips?
*goes back to searching!*

Offline evil_weevil

Re: new member here, with a U13
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7, 2009, 10:53PM »
oh, it has 199970 on the clock if thats anything to go by?

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #2 on: Sep 8, 2009, 12:23PM »
A couple of things to check......

What RPM is it happening?
How serious is the flat spot? Is the car choking or just slow to accelerate?
Have this been happening since you have the car?
Have you checked the ignition system, oil leak into the distributor (that screws up the camshaft position sensor)?
Is the timing correct?
Have you tried using different fuel and servo?
Have you checked the car for error code? You can download a copy of the factory manual. Do a search around the forum

Remember if you put your foot down at 1500RPM, you don't expect the car to take off quickly, it's only 2.4.

Let us know how u go. :)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #3 on: Sep 8, 2009, 10:15PM »
I used to experience a flat spot between 2000-3000rpm, then would just take off.

Not sure if this would help but i replaced the exhaust sensor on the extractors. It was about $60 from autobarn, might be a start.

But like Wicked said, need to give a more specific diagnosis.

Offline evil_weevil

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9, 2009, 09:57AM »
Hope this works!

A couple of things to check......

What RPM is it happening? tach doesnt work, but from feel, Id guess 2k - 2.7k Ive done research and feels I have the common flatspot issue?
How serious is the flat spot? Is the car choking or just slow to accelerate? goes ok, then hit flat spot, struggles, then goes good after cleared
Have this been happening since you have the car? pretty much!

Have you checked the ignition system, oil leak into the distributor (that screws up the camshaft position sensor)? No...dont know where that is!
Is the timing correct? Unsure!!
Have you tried using different fuel and servo? Yeah I use different servo's all the time!
Have you checked the car for error code? a  mate d/l the manual - going over it this weekend

Remember if you put your foot down at 1500RPM, you don't expect the car to take off quickly, it's only 2.4.

Im aware of it, but I have owned a number of cars over the years, I recently sold a 254rwkw R33 gtst and now I own a 80rwkw mx5! the b/bird is quicker on take off than the mx5 - and for a 2.4L - its actually quite responsive when it goes good!

Let us know how u go. :)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #5 on: Sep 9, 2009, 08:07PM »
Hope this works!

Sounds just like what i had happening with mine. Try the sensor and see how you go. My U13 also had about 200000k when problem was happening.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2009, 11:13AM »

Clearly you've never been in a honda  :P
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2009, 01:18PM »
Clearly you've never been in a honda  :P

We must be living in different planet, since when has Honda been torquey?  :P
Having said that, the only HALF or QUARTER decent Honda I've driven is the Euro Accord, the luxury one of course.  ;D