Author Topic: Fuel Type & Economy - '91 Pintara TRX  (Read 2191 times)

sticks1977

Fuel Type & Economy - '91 Pintara TRX
« on: Mar 9, 2011, 05:40AM »
I have noticed recently with my beloved Pintara that the fuel economy is nowhere near what it used to be. I am currently using my car more often (using the car for deliveries) but I get nowhere near 250km for half a tank of fuel.

Will admit straight up that I am a complete noob when it comes to car maintenance and repairs so if any work had to be done I would have to take the car to the mechanic or find someone in Melbourne who would be crafty enough to fix it.

I mainly fill up the tank with regular Unleaded from Shell, which has recently made me start to wonder whether I should be looking at the E10 unleaded or the premium unleaded (V-Power?) fuel instead.

If anyone has any advice, or knows of a reputable mechanic in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne please let me know. Must admit the car is pushing 20 years of age but it has been a wonderful and usually very reliable car - best car I've ever owned actually! :-)

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Offline TRX81

• antrx.com junior member
  • Loves his TRX !
Re: Fuel Type & Economy - '91 Pintara TRX
« Reply #1 on: Mar 9, 2011, 06:42AM »
It sounds to me the car needs a good service with 'everything'
Replaced n then you will find she will go allot better.
is obsessed with TRX's :-)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Mar 9, 2011, 11:54AM »
Be careful running ethanol fuel as our fuel lines werent designed to handle it and will perish the rubber hoses etc...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Mar 9, 2011, 07:16PM »
What Paul said. If you replaced the rubber hoses with new stuff, it'd be ok to run E10.

One thing that affects fuel economy is proper operation of the Swirl Control Valves.

Mine weren't working in my TRX after a semi-recent engine out job, and was getting 75-100km less per tank.

Fixed them up, and got better immediately.

Offline Burga

« Reply #4 on: Mar 9, 2011, 07:59PM »
What Paul said. If you replaced the rubber hoses with new stuff, it'd be ok to run E10.

One thing that affects fuel economy is proper operation of the Swirl Control Valves.

Mine weren't working in my TRX after a semi-recent engine out job, and was getting 75-100km less per tank.

Fixed them up, and got better immediately.

What was wrong with your SCV's? ie. what is there to check?

I've been wondering if mine are not operating correctly. I get lots of hesitation and splutter under 3K (takes off like a rocket after 3K), and was getting bad fuel consumption. The actuator appears to be working, but I'm wondering if it should be replaced.

Offline aussiepintara

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2011, 09:29AM »
i have the same problem as u burga. under 2.8 -2.9k it feels like a worn out deisl as soon as it hits 3k boom a invisible turbo kicks in. i have replaced a few vac lines down near the air filter and it has got rid of the lag and hesitation but still no power so cheack your vacum lines down there
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2011, 09:33AM by aussiepintara »