Author Topic: U12 Engine Swap  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Slarty_Bartfast

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
U12 Engine Swap
« on: Nov 3, 2010, 11:34PM »
Hey Guys new to the forum and wondering if anyone can help me out.

I own a U12 Pintara which I bought for a second car to run about in when the other half is using our main car. I also bought it becuase I wanted to learn about cars in general and was told it's a pretty simple car to work on etc. I'm thinking of chaning the engine in the near future (purely for shits and giggles) and have been trying to find out as much info on it as possible. Anyway long story short my research led me to a thread that said that a CA20E can be swapped for a CA18DET. Mates have also suggested an SR20 but from what I've read the CA18 and CA20 have the same engine mounts, so I'm assuming that's less messing about over all.

Wondering if there's anybody that has done it and if so what problems there where etc. Also anyone who wants to elighten me with further info that'd be great too. I'm pretty new to the "car world" so don't know a great deal but am a quick learner.

Cheers

Aaron
« Last Edit: Nov 6, 2010, 01:59PM by Budgie »

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
Re: U12 Engige Swap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3, 2010, 11:55PM »
u could get a KA24E or KA24DET and put that in ur pintara
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 4, 2010, 08:11PM »
If your new to the car world, I'd suggest maybe some easier mods, an engine conversion is quiet a big job. Think about this aswell, if you were to put a CA18DET in, you be spending quiet a bit of money making your 20 year old car go slightly quicker... (but not as quick as a bog stock modern falcon or commodore) for roughly the same sort of price you could get yourself into a far far better car.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Slarty_Bartfast

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6, 2010, 10:33AM »
Cheers for your replies guys,

JAWSTRX any idea how a KA24 fits into a u12 ? not sure on it myself and am not able to find anything on the net that is concise.

Luke, new to the car world but have been engineering for a fair few years now, also have some mates that have done engine swaps who are more than willing to help so experience is aplenty I reckon, also it's not about making the car super fast or anything just doing something that'll be a bit of a laugh, involve some learning and at the end I have a nice little run about. Also what are some simple mods I can do to the CA20 until I suss out the big job ?

Cheers

Aaron

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 6, 2010, 01:36PM »
Fair call, KA24 came out in the U12, should be a fair easy conversion.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Slarty_Bartfast

Re: U12 Engine Swap
« Reply #5 on: Nov 7, 2010, 10:36AM »
yeah that's right but it was re-badged as a ford I think. any idea how much they cost, or is finding one just luck of the draw ?

Aaron

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Nov 7, 2010, 12:49PM »
yeah that's right but it was re-badged as a ford I think. any idea how much they cost, or is finding one just luck of the draw ?

Aaron

They were in some corsairs, but were out in the T's, Ti's and Trx's too.

They are pretty cheap, Try around wreckers, or just buy a whole car.
Good thing is if you buy the whole car, you get all the wiring/electrics/sensors/ecu/exhaust/mounts etc. And if you get a Ti or TRX you get the LSD gearbox, which is worth it.

Just for information I swapped over a KA24E, LSD gearbox, exhaust and driveshafts from a TRX into my old T in about 25 hours by myself. (also included removing auto box from new engine and putting in clutch and manual box from another Ti)

So, if you are changing to a different type of engine add some extra time for all the wiring/mounts and sensors etc.

PS. I think you could get a KA24DE from a U13 and swap it in. 110kw I think from memory.
nothing.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Nov 7, 2010, 03:28PM »
yeah, smoother and slightly more torquey than the single cam KA24

Both engines are quite good on fuel as well.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Slarty_Bartfast

« Reply #8 on: Nov 7, 2010, 07:52PM »
awesome, cheers sxtacy. will have a look around the local Jap wreckers sometime soon.

Aaron

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 8, 2010, 09:30PM »
KA's aren't a rarity, fairly easily come by.