Author Topic: Big End or Main bearing gone  (Read 2053 times)

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
Big End or Main bearing gone
« on: Jul 31, 2010, 05:26PM »
Hey Guys, driving home the other night slowing down from 100 to 50 i noticed this horrid knock coming from the motor..

Heres a video.. Im guessing big end or main bearings gone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvAAlCxY2UM

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
Re: Big End or Main bearing gone
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2010, 06:03PM »
was thinking of doing an engine replacement... Same ca20 motor, has anyone done this sorta work before? any pointers/tips??

thanks

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 2, 2010, 12:13PM »
got quoted $450 for another motor, yet to see it and find out what condition its in, but its through a local wrecker... Has anyone baught a another CA20? ideas on price range??

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 9, 2010, 09:35PM »
Ok dont know if anyone is really following this, but i will keep adding for reference sake.

Got a motor from a wrecker, i was told it had done 135000K and had been compression tested.. $550... I thought sweet, less K's than my current motor, and its tested... Picked it up, started stripping it down, and i noticed a few things that are kinda concerning...
1. There was still a couple of spark plug caps (from the leads) left on 2 of the spark plugs ie the wire had been pulled out of the sparkplug end and left the cap still on the plug - Doesnt a compression test involve removing the spark plug and screwing in a testing device to read the pressure of EACH cylinder??
2. I thought i may aswell do the timing belt as it was looking a lil cracked... Once i got the timing belt cover off, i noticed there was a crap load of sludge like oil and oil stains all over the block/head..
3. The new motor came with a/c compressor... mine never had it... so when comparing the oil filter side of the motor i noticed that the new one had an adapter over the normal oil filter thread with a resivoir type thing above it and 2 hoses coming out, one was a 3 inch long 90 degree bend the other went to a metal T piece that is threaded into the block - the other side of the T piece was corroded to sh*t - Ive undone the bolts but cant get the adapter to budge... should i just put the bolt from my block into where the T piece is and block off the 2 hoses with bolts and hose clamps??

Here are some pics to claify
Grease  -

Plugs -

Oil Filter differences

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:19PM »
that adapter seems to be a heat exchanger for water/oil, that amount of oil seems to be a concern.
may be a crank seal that the belt has spread the oil from...?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2010, 09:12PM »
Yeah, doesn't look good.

You sure its a U12 CA20E?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline raider007

• antrx.com junior member
  • if it runs dont knock it :)
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2010, 05:47PM »
 :) well if you are going to keep this engine....

1) degrease all the areas and clean it up...
2) the nuts and bolts that are tight as that you want to remove...one clean , soak in wd40 best way is make a small cover with cotton wool
soak in wd and leave on the nut and bolt in a soakin position...so nothing drains away!
mixtures are...  straight wd   or wd and little coke a cola  or wd and kero
or wd and petrol...
you may have to use a ""impact"" on the nut or bolt as well...but also alternate with soak and impact...
or heat and impact and soak...what ever you good at if you have the lot :)

pointless trying to work on anything dirty!
and anything jammed on...

:)

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2010, 05:43PM »
Well the motor is in, cleaned it all up, had  a mate look at it and he said it maybe a seal around the cam. But its more likely from the accident it was in from the way the rocker cover was all bent and distorted...
Motor is running pretty good, had it overheat on a 30 min drive, but think it may have been air in the lines, have driven it over 200Ks since and so far so good... Will probs replace the thermostat off my old motor as it was rather new.
There is 1 bolt on the sump that appears to never tighten, so im a bit concerned about it forming a leak, going to get that sorted tomorrow hopefully on my day off.

All in all im pretty stoked with my efforts, considering i have no mechanical training, i managed to do this entire swap pretty much without assistance in a week, while still working 3 days and only borrowing the old man for the '2 person' sorta jobs... so far no major problems *touches wood* lol