Author Topic: No Phone No Drive  (Read 2462 times)

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
No Phone No Drive
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:22PM »
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: No Phone No Drive
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:26AM »
The date on that article is 2005 :P

Funny that they are talking about GPS tracking. I actually have a GPS/GSM tracker on my desk at the moment, it's designed to be fitted to a car, and reports its position to either a phone via SMS or a computer via GPRS. It's a little bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

A better solution would be to include a receiver so that you can text message your vehicle with a special code to disable it every time you leave the vehicle. If the car has a GPS system, why not be able to ping it for its location without alerting the thief?

I'm trying to work out what the command is to trigger the tracker's output so it can be used to shut the car down. The manual they provide with these is written in engrish.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:22PM »
The date on that article is 2005 Tongue
oops

i know the tracking was old , but havnt heard about the 'key phone combo'
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009, 09:30PM »
Yeah, cool idea but bad in a real world situation. I reckon it'd be too unreliable. Also not all phones would support it or vice-versa. What happens if your phone goes flat and you don't have a charger? Or drown the phone while out fishing, or in torrential rain or drop it in the loo or something?

I say stick to the wireless key, they're relatively waterproof, reliable and have a back up old fashioned key for if they die.

As for security, if these mobile phone systems were common thieves would just start stealing both the keys and the owner's phone. Most factory immobilisers are that good now that you need the key to start the car, so thieves are breaking into houses and stealing keys along with the car, or when people leave them unattended in public.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!