Author Topic: Wideband o2 sensors.  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Wideband o2 sensors.
« on: Feb 8, 2013, 12:56PM »
I've been looking into wideband o2 sensor systems, but I can't find much info on them. What are they actually used for ? What do they do that a normal o2 doesn't ? What builds are they used in ?

Edit::
more accurately measures your AFR in order for more precise tuning capability.

But what's the controller for ?
« Last Edit: Feb 8, 2013, 01:05PM by Pure_Sincerity »
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline squizz taylor

• antrx.com junior member
Re: Wideband o2 sensors.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8, 2013, 02:53PM »
Simple explanation

Dependant on the the ECU and the type of wide band you have. In an AEM system like deviate's, it will be  able to control the air fuel mixture at all times with a very high accuracy, especially if you are adding boost or NOS.

A normal o2 sensor basically says rich or lean when the engine is in a steady state. The ECU then takes a bit of a guess of the fuel air mix.

Naturally it is a bit more involved, but that is an easy explanation.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 9, 2013, 07:17AM »

This should help you understand, there is fuck all sensitivity to read the voltage of the AFR value anything away from 14.7:1
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Nomad

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:46AM »
Have a look at wbo2.com. Oz company and has some good explanations on how they work.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:03AM »
Short explanation:

A wideband O2 system allows you to accurately measure air / fuel ratios of an engine. The actual sensor is installed in the exhaust, before the cat convertor.
Being able to accurately measure air / fuel ratios allows you to tune the fuel maps in the ecu.

So, for your application, you will want to shoot for no leaner than 12.0:1 air / fuel ratio at WOT / full engine load up to your rev limiter.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:18AM »
Short explanation:

A wideband O2 system allows you to accurately measure air / fuel ratios of an engine. The actual sensor is installed in the exhaust, before the cat convertor.
Being able to accurately measure air / fuel ratios allows you to tune the fuel maps in the ecu.

So, for your application, you will want to shoot for no leaner than 12.0:1 air / fuel ratio at WOT / full engine load up to your rev limiter.

Sounds good, I have a o2 sensor bung just before my cat aswel. Should be a goer.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:13AM »
Typically in the case with most aftermarket ecus (megasquirt being case in point) can take the 0-5v linear output from a wideband o2 sensor, process that data, and automatically adjust the fuel maps to deliver fuelling based on an air / fuel ratio "target" table.

So, for example, you can set this target table in the MS ecu, say for the highest load column, to an air / fuel ratio of 12.0:1, do a full throttle run, and it will automatically tune the ecu to deliver these air / fuel ratios.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:51AM »
really that rich for n/a? how high is the compression of this motor again?

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:12AM »
I think it was calculated at 11:1

Noss, you mentioned doing a wide brand tune on my car, does that mean you use your wideband o2 sensor to tune also than remove it after tuning is complete ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:37AM »
really that rich for n/a? how high is the compression of this motor again?

It's fairly safe and will still make decent power. Leanest I would go is 12.8.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:30PM »
I think it was calculated at 11:1

Noss, you mentioned doing a wide brand tune on my car, does that mean you use your wideband o2 sensor to tune also than remove it after tuning is complete ?

yes, i have a sensor that can either go into the stock location or if its the wrong thread/too big to fit/whatever, i have a probe that can go in the tail pipe (like on my mini right now)

then yes, i take it with me when i leave.

if the ms2 has the option adam is talking about with filling out the tables to achieve the afr that you want, if i were you i would buy the wideband and hook it up to the ms2. far easier than tuning, anyone could do it.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:15PM »
yes, i have a sensor that can either go into the stock location or if its the wrong thread/too big to fit/whatever, i have a probe that can go in the tail pipe (like on my mini right now)

then yes, i take it with me when i leave.

if the ms2 has the option adam is talking about with filling out the tables to achieve the afr that you want, if i were you i would buy the wideband and hook it up to the ms2. far easier than tuning, anyone could do it.

That's cool, so either buy a wide ban for $200 and set the AFR myself or pay you $180 for a wide band tune ? Hmm I'll go and buy a wide band o2 ^_^ but could you help me or do the timing maps Noss ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2013, 07:27PM »
Ive got an Innovate MTX-L. Pain in the arse to calibrate, but other than that, goes good, the software talks to my nistune software out of the box.

I picked it up off an Ebay store for $189 Delivered

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:36AM »
The AEM should be the go. It's a 4 wire design, but I'll onl need to use 2 (power an ground) the other 2 are for datalogging and I can't remember the other.

So these are a must to be in the exhaust before the cat ? After the headers ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:52AM »
Yes.

The sensor must go where it is receiving exhaust gas from all cylinders, not just one like a normal narrow band sensor does.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:25AM »
Yeah I figured. Any advice on where/how to run the wires from that far back from the car ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2013, 03:50PM »
I found engines are much crisper in the low mid 13's at WOT.

12.8ish was "duller" - same power.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:50PM »
i always tune n/a to 13.2-13.6, turbo/supercharged i aim for 12.2-12.5

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #20 on: Jun 22, 2013, 04:21PM »
Can a wideband setup be used with a stock ecu without the use of a second o2 ? 1 is power and 1 is earth which will get it all working and read on the gauge your AFR but can 1 of the other 2 wires be used as the signal to be sent back to the stock ecu ?

Or should I just run both a factory and AEM wideband o2 ? Obviously the wideband will just be getting read while tuning appropriately. To go with this, I have a HKS Fcon S piggy back ecu system if anyone wanted to know. I know with an AEM or megasquirt standalonea they have the data logging options.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2013, 04:41PM »
Depends on the unit you have. My wideband has a narrowband output. So the narrowband goes to the ecu and I only need one sensor. You can't just send a signal from the wideband harness to the ecu as the values used are different to narrowband. Eg 1-5v wide to 0-1v narrow
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: Jun 22, 2013, 08:44PM »
Fuck the GayKS off. Just buy a nistune.

Most WB units have narrowband output but it doesn't mean it's working 100%. Most cars/people don't notice but the "stoich" output of the wideband unit may not be at 2.5V, there is usually a voltage offset that needs to be applied so the ECU is correctly utilising the closed loop function efficiently.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2013, 10:29PM »
Fuck the GayKS off. Just buy a nistune.

Most WB units have narrowband output but it doesn't mean it's working 100%. Most cars/people don't notice but the "stoich" output of the wideband unit may not be at 2.5V, there is usually a voltage offset that needs to be applied so the ECU is correctly utilising the closed loop function efficiently.

The HKS was cheap and it will do what I need it to do for now plus it has the option for a map sensor. Ill just run the 2 o2 sensors and use the wideband for tuning purposes.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #24 on: Jun 23, 2013, 11:58AM »
That ECU is the biggest scam in the world, it's locked to HKS dealers who have paid for the software rights to edit the maps. Who the hell would waste their time on owning that? If I had my own shop I would not pay for the rights to access an ECU that has half a chance of controlling a decent engine. It's a patch on a patch of a solution, with engine management, you are severely missing a nut or two in your head if you are relying on a third party system to control your engine.

Cut the crap, use something that someone, even yourself has access to that can control the ECU, for example a nistune. It's cheap for a reason

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #25 on: Jun 23, 2013, 01:20PM »
That ECU is the biggest scam in the world, it's locked to HKS dealers who have paid for the software rights to edit the maps. Who the hell would waste their time on owning that? If I had my own shop I would not pay for the rights to access an ECU that has half a chance of controlling a decent engine. It's a patch on a patch of a solution, with engine management, you are severely missing a nut or two in your head if you are relying on a third party system to control your engine.

Cut the crap, use something that someone, even yourself has access to that can control the ECU, for example a nistune. It's cheap for a reason

I paid $320 in total with tuning software and tuning cable so it can be re mapped by myself at home. Ill try it out, and if I don't like it or its just total shit, ill sell it off again. Someone will buy it. Plus I can get nistune with software and license at trade price now through a mate of mine, so won't be a big hassle if that ecu does turn to shit. But you do throw some good points around, like always.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Jun 23, 2013, 02:14PM »
Is the software in English?

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:10PM »
Japanese lol, but it came with a comparison thingy so you can read it in English.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2014, 01:12PM »
Thread dig.
Who is currently using the Innovate MTX-L?
Avoid?
Or shut up and take my money?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2014, 01:25PM »
I'm using plx. Id happily purchase again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"