Author Topic: u13 system?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
u13 system?
« on: Dec 4, 2007, 11:05PM »
hey guys i have an LX bluey. and current i have a kenwood head unit, i think its 70watt rms. and i have some sony 6x9s in the parcel shelf and stockies in the front. I was thinking of putting some 6 inch speakers in the front, does anyone know a good guide at getting the door trims off ok without damaging shit and wiring it all up? is it possible to use the existing wire? I know i need to make some spacers with some MDF or something.

Also whats a very budget system for a bit of an upgrade  to my system? without going overboard.. i want nice in car sound and dont want the whole street hearing it.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: u13 system?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5, 2007, 12:29AM »
Ok, for starters, your headunit will be around the 4x50 mark (4x18 - 23 rms)depending on the model. As for throwing some 6" in the front, i dont think its too much of a hassle, but i dont remember if a spacer or similar would be needed. The door trims are pretty easy to get off from memory, i just dont remember a step by step rundown ( sorry, not being much help here). You should be able to use the the factory wiring as i dont think the LX had the primo sound system, therefor no factory amps (someone correct me if im wrong here).

A decent "budget system" would entail a half decent set of front speakers (splits), a half decent 4 channel amp and a half decent 12" sub in a box. Basically, use the amp to run the fronts, and brigde the rear channel for the sub, run the 6x9s off the headdeck, this will give you a pretty good sound for the $$$ (although depending on your definition of "budget" this may change)

Any other Q's, just ask

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
    • http://www.myspace.com/unbalanced_
« Reply #2 on: Dec 5, 2007, 07:04AM »
I tried to take the front trim off a while ago just to have a look behind there and ended up breaking a couple of the clips -
Really irritating cos now, on both front doors the trim flicks out on one side cos its not connected.

Also, Ive got 6x9s in the front, so 6" shouldnt be a problem to put in.
My car history:
'88 Toyota Camry - Engine Died
'85 Toyota Corona - Engine Died
'82 Nissan Bluebird - Write Off
'88 Toyota Camry (same one as before) - Trans Died
'94 Nissan Bluebird LX - SOLD
'88 Toyota Hilux - Handed over to dad and now residing in Perth
'84 Nissan R30 Skyline - SOLD
'99 Nissan Stagea RS4-S - SOLD

Current rides:
'99 Mazda FD RX7 - Lots of fun, but currently up for sale
'95 Nissan Bluebird LX - Current sedate daily
'85 Suzuki GSXR250 - Motorbikes are fun! :)

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Dec 5, 2007, 09:10AM »
i cant for the life of me remember how to do u13 trims.

Front stockos are 4x6, may still need a bit of modding to fit a 6"

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 5, 2007, 10:32PM »
There are screws in the door handle bits that ur hand goes into,

There are screws down the bottom of the door trim,

and there are screws up the side under little plastic covers, ease out the power windows controls and make sure you remove the plastic behind the door handles if necessary.

To remove the trim it needs to be pulled out from the bottom and then up from the top where it joins on near the window, most likely easiest to do this with the windows wide open.

Th standard speaker is a 4*6 and if you want to fit a 6* in it is posible but you will need to build a panel with a 6" hole in it and attatche the panel to the door and not use the stock mounting, becasue if you do use the stock mounting on a round speaker the chances of you getting negative signal are increased and this reduces clarity of sound.

I have JBL 5*7s/6*8s, these are speakers with a 5*7 and 6*8 mounting hole and an oversized cone, it took quite a bit of modifying the stock bracket to get them in and flush and i used a metal file to grind down the plastic mount.

Id recommend some alpine 5*7s for the hole, as theyd be quite easy to fit and they give a great sound too, id suggest running them off an amp and running an active frontstage tweeter directly off the head units power.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Dec 5, 2007, 11:05PM »
4x6's, 5x7's and 6x9s all sound poo, and arent good as a front stage, go a set of half decent 6" splits

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 6, 2007, 07:10PM »
can you explain why you prefer the sound of a 6" split to that of an active frontstage a 5*7 inch co-axial??

Most people prefer the active split as you have better control over the sound coming from each speaker, splits are by far the easier option, but an active frontstage is almost easier in a U13 because of the shape of the front door pod.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Dec 6, 2007, 09:40PM »
because they sound like pure ass.

just like any other oval speaker, lacking any high or midrange and ony develop mediocre bass, which as a frontstage, inst nessiscary.

6" splits provide much better high end and mid range, add a sub and its good sounding combo.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 6, 2007, 09:47PM »
oh and might i add that running tweeters as sperate speakers will also sound shite. You need to be able to adjust the volume of the tweeter without affecting the volume of the rest system, as it would if running as such of a headunit.  Most good quality splits will have an adjustment on the crossover to decrease volume if the tweeters are too bright, mine have a -1, -3, -4.5, -6, and -9 Db adjustments.

Tweeters are designed to add high end, not make your eardrums bleed.