Author Topic: Supercharge? Possible  (Read 9030 times)

-=a.k.aTRX=-

Supercharge? Possible
« on: Sep 9, 2003, 08:04PM »
IS IT POSSIBLE TO SUPERCHARGE KA24 Pintara TRX?
If so what need to be done?
HELP?  ???
« Last Edit: Sep 9, 2003, 08:05PM by -=a.k.aTRX=- »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:Supercharge? Possible
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9, 2003, 08:16PM »
Do a search before posting new topics.
It can be done, but no one here has done it, 99% of us are going turbo.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 9, 2003, 09:14PM »
99% are going turbo
0% have actually gone turbo :D

(except for those with SR20's).  8)
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2003, 01:25AM »
these things take time rich. i gauranteee you there will be a few turbo ka24e pintaras around within 6 months. from what i've heard, all of a sudden a whole bunch of people have finally gotten the cash together & turbos & coolers have been purchased.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2003, 12:57PM »
that would make my year i reckon, to see a turboed ka24e with dyno figures and all. then we can all see what its capable of doing and for what costs.

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2003, 03:02PM »
Thats what im waiting for to see what pwoer figures are possible and how reliable they are before i decide to turbo

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2003, 07:41PM »
these things take time rich. i gauranteee you there will be a few turbo ka24e pintaras around within 6 months. from what i've heard, all of a sudden a whole bunch of people have finally gotten the cash together & turbos & coolers have been purchased.

I know... it looks like a lot of people are suddenly getting very serious about the whole turbo thing.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2003, 09:30PM »
Geez yeah.

Turbo would be great!

Im just waiting until you guys try it first, get all the bugs out, then go with what works best! he he he

YOURE ALL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!! mmwwaaaaaaa hahahaha

Nah, I dont have the $$$ as yet. When I do, I might be different and go the supercharger. Have to play around with a few ideas first!

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2003, 09:34PM »
im not interested in getting a turbo, but just out of curiousity - how much is involved in turboing a ka24e?? not only labour, but cash also?
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2003, 09:45PM by Nizzan »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2003, 03:40PM »
I worked out for a turn key setup with a full bottom end rebuild capable of taking 15psi+, with myself doing all the assembly of the engine and fabrication of parts, about $3k; that includes about $1k worth of machining that an engine shop has to do.

Offline supercharged pinny

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • If it dosn't suck it blows
« Reply #10 on: Nov 6, 2003, 03:06PM »
MATE DO IT PUT A SUPERCHARGER ON!!
It is not to exensive and you will find you can use the same computer. I put a supercharger on a ca20e it was not two hard but I did have to sacrifice my A/C. I used the A/C bracket to put it on. I used a toyota S/C which is on a 2lt 6cylinder twin cam motor. Easy to get one there all secondhand and cost about $350. If yuo have got a mate with a exhaust making company you just need some 3inch mandrel bend to plumb it in, you will also have to bolt a throttle body onto the supercharger trickest bit. Works great bumbed up the KW from 87 to about 110, and it gets off the line very quicly because it has booste from idle

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #11 on: Nov 6, 2003, 04:06PM »
stock ca20 is 78kw or 82 depending on drive system.. RWD or FWD 32 kw gain on stock interinals ? nice :)  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 7, 2003, 10:02AM »
ca20 73Kw
ca20e 87kw
 8)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #13 on: Nov 7, 2003, 10:36AM »
The Unlead ca20e Runs 78kw or 102hp at 5200rpm and has 160nm at 3200rpm  The original Carbie model (ca20) of the engine only produced 74kw or 96hp, If both of these engines run on leaded fuel then yes you would probably get thoes figures since the African Skylina rb30 makes 126kw compared to the ULP Ausie version that gets 114/116kw No emmision controls or crappy Ulp, makes a big diffrence.

The u12 Ca20e i believe is FWD and makes 82-84kw has a slightly diffrent coil set up and as before FWD so less lost in gearing but it can't get as much traction at take off.

All that info is solid and can be found at various places around the net, ive read quite a few articles on the ca20e as it's the engine i currently have in my car. There's a few up at the R31skyline club if you'd like to read them.

http://www.r31skylineclub.com/

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:16AM »
anything is possile you guys have no imagination and belive what people tell you. Well I have put on a supercharger on a pintara and it does fits, cle. What mods could you do for $1000 that would out do a supercharger what a cam maybe extractors none of these things out do the blower. Guys if you want to knock me down because I have a charger on a beat up pintara do. But when I see you cars at the lights watch out I will kill you with take off. So if you rekon you have got the KW give me a go. If you had a car that could beat me it would have to have cost you $10000 not $2500. STOP PICKING ON THE LITTLE GUY

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:44AM »
well i'm definately giving you credit for your efforts, the credit definately is due. i've let a few people know of your efforts to let them know what is possible with the r31 pintara. good work for being different i say.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:50AM »
Relax mate, no-ones having a go at you.

Obviously a supercharger would fit within the R31 pintara engine bay, but it would be a very tight, if not impossible squeeze into a U12 pintara engine bay.

Cle is right on the Kw ratings however, the FWD CA20E found in U12/UA's is rated at 83kw and the R31 CA20E is rated at 78kw.  So with supercharger you might have around 90-95kw now.

I'd love to see some pics of your setup as well mate.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2003, 11:55AM »
budgie champ didnt you get the pic off me in your email yesterday?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2003, 12:21PM »
Yeah I did noss, was that superhcharged pinny's car?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2003, 01:02PM »
Im not knocking ya :) infact i think a supercharged R31 pinny is the way to go but there's no use not knowing the "truth" of what you engine can actually do. 78kw rwd & 83kw fwd is pritty much the standard rating on all ca20e engines, and while i have heard of a ca20e that makes 86kw i have never seen one and don't know off hand witch car uses it, but im positive that it's not in that R31 of yours. So with that said you have a 23/24kw gain in a stock car witch would bump you up to 101kw not taking into account the age of the car so you'd probably dino at 95 or so. That is Impressive mate :) no bones about it,.

As far as the u12 goes well like the others have said the u12 pinny is a fwd car witch means the engine is also East West (shiver) not to mention th fact that there engine bay is also a fair shade smaller so putting a Supercharger on one would be a lot harder.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2003, 09:54AM »
Yeah, try almost impossible to fit it in  >:(
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:16AM »
Hmmm, its still gunna be a tight fit!!! Not sure if there would be enough room for the 3in mandrel piping to go to the intake tho???
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:18AM »
For  a cheap toyota blower their is no room even if the aircon is removed ive looked at evey possible way and it just aint gonna happen on the u12

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2003, 10:23AM »
that is what has already been done in the case of the r31 if you read thru the thread. two problems though. most people dont want to go without air con. most people also have been convinced that an engine swap is the only way to go & they wont listen any other way.

« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:12AM »
I am very happy with my supercharged pinny. The supercharger is of 1ge gze toyota and I didn't have to change the A/C braket or use a different pully system. It uses 3inch mandrel bend and a commodore VL throttle body. It has more pick up than my girlfriends skyline TI and it is in a station wagon. I am sure it would have well over a 100kw but is not worth worring about until I dyno it. I didn't pick the Kw out of the air and you are properly right Cle. The reason why I quote 87Kw is because I read a write up on the Nissan Gazelle and it said 87Kw for a ca20e and if you read the thread on cams this is the same. Anyhow people love to knock the ca20e motor but I think it is a great motor that revs out pretty easy. I can easly rev it out to the end of the taco which is 9000rpm.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mrwiggly

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
  • Yoplay wif me I ahh play wit you, Saucy thing you
Re: Supercharge? Possible
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2004, 12:02AM »
I have seen a altenator that has a shaft all the way through which then has a flange on the back to attach an other item that needs to be driven by the pully. Some hondas are supercharged and they use a sharft drive system to the gearbox side of the motor for space reasons then attach the supercharger to it . See think outside the box and it can happen ! .

Cheers