Author Topic: U13 Bluebird SSS Series 2 Steering Wheel - RETROFITTED!  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
Here's the story...
I bought my U13 Bluebird LX Series 1 with the steering wheel in pretty poor condition. The top of the steering wheel was peeling off and just looked crap.
Now i've been on the hunt for a replacement, REASONABLY, priced steering wheel for a few months now and I finally purchased one :)
This morning, I went to All Auto Recycling at Brendale/Strathpine to have another look at their U13 Bluebird SSS Series 1 steering wheel.
I would've preferred it as I like the appearance of the Series 1 SSS steering wheels, they were asking $220 for the wheel, I was willing to purchase it at that price.
I asked the guy if the cruise control buttons didn't work, would I be able to receive a refund for the wheel?
He said, no and if you want the cruise control buttons, you'll have to pay an extra $50.
Walked away from that one, it was ridiculous as they are integrated into the wheel!

Drove up to Sandgate Wreckers at Sandgate (heh) to check out their U13 Bluebird SSS Series 2 steering wheel.
It's in pretty good condition but I wasn't sure if it would fit on my Series 1 Bluebird and if the horn and cruise control buttons would work.
Dave (who's a bloody champ) kindly offered to remove my current wheel and replace it with the Series 2 wheel.
The first problem we hit was that the Series 1 uses a different mechanism to power the horn and cruise control than the Series 2.
Being a resourceful bloke, Dave grabbed the mechanism from my Bluebird and connected it up, put the Series 2 wheel back on my car and tried the horn, no luck.
We had a look at my Series 1 wheel and the horn and cruise control was grounded separately. Dave sank his teeth into the wire cover and made a split in it, held it against a grounding point, and the horn worked :)
I told Dave that when the wreck first came in, they quoted me $150 for the SSS Series 2 wheel, then later I was quoted $220. Dave did one better and said I could take it for $125 (which included the cruise control and airbag module)!
Dave suggested I take the Series 2 wheel to an autoelectrician and just get them to properly ground it and then just off the black screw holes (which stick out) which was preventing the Series 1 power mechanism from sitting fliush with the Series 2 wheel.

Went on to Brendale Auto Electrics (great blokes, won't rip you off) and got them to properly ground the horn/cruise control (from the Series 1 power mechanism).
Dave couldn't find the bolts which held in the airbag module/steering wheel cover so I asked the Auto Elec guy if he could help me out.
He found an old bolt which fit and directed me to Pine River's Bearings to get two new bolts.
Got the bolts and fitted the airbag module/steering wheel cover and its done :)

Instructions and pics to come...

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2005, 04:43PM by Alister »

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
Re: U13 Bluebird SSS Series 2 Steering Wheel - RETROFITTED!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2005, 03:57PM »
Retrofitting a U13 Bluebird Series 2 Steering Wheel to a Series 1 Model

My U13 Series 1 LX steering wheel was in poor condition when I purchased the car so I decided to attempt to fit a U13 Series 2 SSS steering wheel to my U13 Series 1 which proved to be successful :)
The main problem is that the Series 1 mechanism and power source that powers the horn and cruise control buttons is different to the Series 2 mechanism and the power source.

1. Remove your Series 1 steering wheel. To remove my LX wheel, I unscrewed the screw under the wheel and pulled off the horn pad/steering wheel cover, unplugged the wiring plug from the wiring harness, unplugged the ground wire, and removed the main bolt in the centre of the steering wheel.

2. After pulling off the steering wheel, you'll see a circular plastic, with metal tracks, mechanism (which sits against three gold pins to provide power to the horn and cruise control buttons). It should slide right off.

Series 1 Power Source, three gold pins (heh, look how spaz my toes look)

3. Get the circular mechanism and cut off about half the length of the black plastic raised screw holes as it prevents the Series 1 mechanism from sitting flush against the Series 2 wheel (to cut it: use a hacksaw blade, dremel, sand it right down etc).

4. Get the modified Series 1 circular mechanism and thread the ground wire and wiring harness through the back section of the Series 2 steering wheel.

5. Plug the Series 2 wiring plug (for the cruise and horn) into the Series 1 wiring harness.

6. Since the Series 2 steering wheel has the horn and cruise control already grounded you'll have to ground the Series 1 ground wire to the Series 2 ground point. It is easy to do yourself but I got an auto electrician to do a decent job for me.

Series 2 ground (with Series 1 horn/cruise ground wire attached)

Series 1 ground wire (the one my finger is on, attached to the series 1 power mechanism), the black rectangular thing is the Series 2 wiring plug, plugged into the Series 1 wiring harness

7. Put the Series 1 circular power mechanism in the back of the Series 2 steering wheel and put the steering wheel on.

Series 1 Circular Power Mechanism Sitting Inside the Back of the Series 2 Steering Wheel

Series 2 steering wheel on without the airbag module/steering wheel cover

8. Put the centre bolt back on the wheel and tighten it up and then put the airbag module/steering wheel cover on the Series 2 steering wheel and put in the two bolts, which holds it in, on either side.

9. Go for a test drive :)

Series 2 SSS steering wheel RETROFITTED!

If you understand what is what and what it does, it's fairly easy to do.
I have never pulled off my steering wheel before I did this and I worked it out :)
If you have any questions or don't understand my instructions, I can futher expand on them or even give you a hand doing it.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005, 08:17PM by Alister »

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2005, 04:26PM »
Sounds like a bit of a mission. But glad to hear you sorted it out.

Now just waiting for some piccies of the wheel.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2005, 04:32PM »
Series 2 SSS steering wheel (steering wheel, airbag module/steering wheel cover, cruise control) = $125 from Sandgate Wreckers
Series 1 ground integrated into Series 2 ground = $27.50 from Brendale Auto Electrics (included cutting off half the raised screw holes and fitting the wheel - saved me from doing it at home).
Two bolts which hold on the airbag module/steering wheel cover = $0.50 from Pine Rivers Bearings

TOTAL COST: $153

Note: I only needed the bolts as Sandgate Wreckers had lost them.
The guy at Brendale Auto Electrics kindly gave me an old bolt the same size as the ones I needed.
I didn't buy the Series 2 power mechanism as I had no need for it.
The airbag is not functional - the AUS U13 Series 1 models do not have the wiring, sensors, etc for it.
You could ground it yourself, it's pretty simple to do, I just wanted a decent job.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2005, 04:38PM by Alister »

Offline 3391

• antrx.com full member
  • noob from across da globe
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2005, 05:07PM »
i am curious, what does the series 1 steering wheel looks like?

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2005, 07:32PM »
i am curious, what does the series 1 steering wheel looks like?

U13 AUS Series 1 Steering Wheels
LX:
SSS and Ti:

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2005, 07:58PM »
good job
cruise control work?, thats what i want.
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2005, 12:12AM »
good job
cruise control work?, thats what i want.

Yerp, all the cruise control buttons work :)
If you end up doing the conversion and if you need any help, just send me ask here or send me a PM.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2005, 03:59AM »
Nice... an OEM leather wheel 8)

Alister, PM me some pics of the damage on your old wheel, I might be interested in buying it off you
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:56AM »
Hi Alister,

Just one question. Series 2 is fitted with a airbag isn't it? Can you get the airbag to work in the series 1? Just curious. ;D

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2005, 01:09PM »
Hi Alister,

Just one question. Series 2 is fitted with a airbag isn't it? Can you get the airbag to work in the series 1? Just curious. ;D

Yerp, the Series 2 steering wheels have an airbag integrated into the steering wheel cover.
Unless you get a Series 2 wiring loom and airbag sensors, the airbag will not work in a Series 1 model.
I'm not convinced on the need for a driver's airbag anyway, unless you sit bloody close to the steering wheel then is it necessary for one?
My dad rear ended someone in his 96 Camry at about 60KM/H, his chest hit the steering wheel on impact which resulted in a bit of bruising but who knows an airbag may have hit him in the eye and made him blind.
It happens...

PM sent Jono.

Also, does anyone know what I could use to get that white writing shit off my steering wheel?
Armourall didn't work.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2005, 01:11PM by Alister »

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2005, 01:05AM »
Try turps.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:16PM »
Will give it a try tomorrow Jono.
By the way mate, I picked up a 50 piece ratchet socket set from Super Cheap Auto for only $15 bucks. Worked great :)

Added more pictures to the guide and made instructions clearer...
*pokes Zander* give it a try mate :)

Offline SSS240

• antrx.com junior member
  • 95 U13 SSS
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:18PM »
Retrofitting a U13 Bluebird Series 2 Steering Wheel to a Series 1 Model

thats some dodgey wiring u done there! enjoy your fire! ;)
Sometimes we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape
If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use Duct Tape.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:20PM »
Haha, I didn't do that.
Dave from Sandgate Wreckers did that with his teeth when we were seeing if we could get it working.
It was then grounded by an auto electrician. I just covered the bare wiring with electrical tape afterwards :)

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2005, 11:37PM »
as if its gonna cause a fire, its going to be fused. plus ive caused heaps of electrical shorts and only ever got burnt out components and white smoke(some even with 240v).
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline SSS240

• 95 U13 SSS
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2005, 01:54AM »
Haha, I didn't do that.
Dave from Sandgate Wreckers did that with his teeth when we were seeing if we could get it working.
It was then grounded by an auto electrician. I just covered the bare wiring with electrical tape afterwards :)

are u serious??  what sort of dodgy auto elecs do u know!!!  i would have personally cut the terminal off and replaced it to remove the exposed wires....  there looks to be plenty to spare....  let me guess your stereo is in by twist and tape??  lol

Offline SSS240

• 95 U13 SSS
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2005, 01:57AM »
as if its gonna cause a fire, its going to be fused. plus ive caused heaps of electrical shorts and only ever got burnt out components and white smoke(some even with 240v).

well arent u a hero! donmt u think spending the extra 30 seconds on something to make it right is better than "quote - burnt out components and white smoke"???

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2005, 11:49AM »
are u serious??  what sort of dodgy auto elecs do u know!!!  i would have personally cut the terminal off and replaced it to remove the exposed wires....  there looks to be plenty to spare....  let me guess your stereo is in by twist and tape??  lol

I'm not sure why the auto electrician didn't cover the stripped wire that Dave did *shrugs*
I didn't ask him to, not a problem anyway, it's a grounding wire, and there's nothing wrong with covering the bare wire with electrical tape.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2005, 03:21PM by Alister »

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2005, 03:23PM »
I installed your old wheel last night, Alister. It works and looks great! Still crumbling though :-\

I agree the auto elec should have chopped that stripped wire off, from what I can see it's the wire that controls your horn.

The leather S2 wheel looks and feels great though. 8)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2005, 03:35PM »
Cheers mate, glad you like my old wheel :)
Very happy with my new leather wheel, feels great.

Offline jhwnissan

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:48PM »
great job man!  love that new wheel.  it kinda looks like mine but mine looks a little newer actually.  sure would like that leather cuz i don't have any.