Author Topic: factory exhaust  (Read 3513 times)

Offline u13_DrivingSchool

• antrx.com junior member
  • Learn 2 Drive in Style !
factory exhaust
« on: Jul 6, 2006, 12:47AM »
Does anyone know .. or has modded the factory exhaust on U13 bluey ... i know Commodores have 3 seperate  parts

headers   ----  cat convertor ----- rear muffler ( which can be relpaced seperate)

havn't tried to pull apart yet .. just wondering ...ta

only asking .. someone pinched the chrome tip i had on back from when i got the car
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: factory exhaust
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6, 2006, 01:07AM »
What do you want to know?

A few people here have aftermarket exhausts on their U13s. 73ena has a 2.5" cat back with cannon (I think) and Ka-Bluey has a 2" system with a R33 muffler.

Oh and commodores have 2 mufflers, there's the cat converter, then the front muffler and the rear muffler. The rear muffler pm a commodore doesn't do much quietening, it just reduces the droney-ness of the exhaust.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 6, 2006, 03:07AM »
A cheap but effective exhaust for the KA24DE would be to use a R33 muffler with a Commodore cat. A bit of pipework is involved though...

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #3 on: Jul 6, 2006, 09:44PM »
What do you want to know?

A few people here have aftermarket exhausts on their U13s. 73ena has a 2.5" cat back with cannon (I think) and Ka-Bluey has a 2" system with a R33 muffler.

Oh and commodores have 2 mufflers, there's the cat converter, then the front muffler and the rear muffler. The rear muffler pm a commodore doesn't do much quietening, it just reduces the droney-ness of the exhaust.

You are soooo wrong Jono!! Full system mate... I have hi-tech extractors with 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust through to cannon (with sports cat)
I recommend that you do not get a cannon!!! I hate the sound of mine and will be replacing a muffler which won't be as raspy, one day...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 6, 2006, 10:02PM »
oh ok... ::)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 7, 2006, 08:23PM »
As a bit of an example i guess.. I have a Hi-flow cat (a little short one), a nice long resonator in the middle and a straight through oval shaped muffler at the rear. All done in 2.25 inch dia. mild steel and I had a 2.5 inch chrome tip put on the end to make it look nicer.
All up this cost me around $550 at my local exhaust place and they did a fantastic job of installing it.
The car now breathes heaps better upwards of 4000rpm and it sounds fantastic. It has a nice deep note (not tinny at all). It's still reasonably quiet when cruising at up to 80kph, but if I knock it back a couple of gears and sink the boot in, you can hear me coming a mile away. The noise at 100kph is reasonably quiet in 5th gear, but being back in 4th when climbing hills at 100kph is pretty loud. Doesn't bother me too much though, I just turn the stereo up!
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline CS2rex

• antrx.com full member
  • formerly mark_sss
« Reply #6 on: Jul 7, 2006, 08:58PM »
Doesn't bother me too much though, I just turn the stereo up!

amen

« Reply #7 on: Jul 8, 2006, 01:27AM »
just wanted to know if i can replace just rear muffler myself ..... like unbolt   on a commy  and replace or does it require a cut and weld.....job

love a nice exhaust but just a little bit than what i got ...you know driving school car ..can't be too noisy he he
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline greenbird

« Reply #8 on: Jul 8, 2006, 08:22AM »
ok, fair enough.
Here's how to find out then.... Get down on onto the ground just behind the drivers side rear wheel of your car and have a look at the exhaust system just in front of the rear muffler. Trace the exhaust system worwards until you find the first join.
You should be able to clearly see whether it is welded in place or if it is bolted together using a flange.
I have a feeling that it should be bolted together with flanges, but i'm not totally sure, as my std exhaust system went in the bin a couple of years ago!
Hope this helps. Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:46PM »
thanks cheif ... going up on the ramps when it stops raining ..will check it out
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline 3391

• antrx.com full member
  • noob from across da globe
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2006, 11:02PM »
in my opinion, GReddy SP2 cat-back is the best choice. you get looks, performance without the horrible fart can noise.

not a very clean pic, but you'll get an idea of what it looks like.
(btw this is a pic of the SP1,but the SP2 only has a slightly different tip)

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:52AM »
If you're after a cheap, higher flowing and relatively quiet exhaust, read up the "Lung Transplant" article on Autospeed website. It uses the commodore cat and R33 rear muffler.  ;D

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:58AM »
Sweeeet  . rear muffler just un bolts .... easier than commodore.. ahh gotta find a nice replacement ..suttle ..hunting a R33 factory ..aparantly nice enhanced sound ...
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline greenbird

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2006, 02:44AM »
yes, but don't expect an R33 muffler to bolt straight up and be a perfect fit.. The chances are that you will need to get an exhaust shop to bend up some pipe and weld on a flange to enable the R33 muffler to bolt onto the rest of your U13 exhaust.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2006, 07:04PM »
yes, but don't expect an R33 muffler to bolt straight up and be a perfect fit.. The chances are that you will need to get an exhaust shop to bend up some pipe and weld on a flange to enable the R33 muffler to bolt onto the rest of your U13 exhaust.

Yeah, a bit of pipework is involved but its all very easily done and quite cheaply too.
There's an autospeed article outlining the procedure on a U12 Pintara.

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2006, 08:59PM »
thanks boys .. i got me muffler ... all good . now takin to exhaust place monday ....
Learn 2 Drive in Style !