Author Topic: Differences in U13 spindles  (Read 2070 times)

Offline thitus1

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Differences in U13 spindles
« on: Apr 5, 2013, 06:53PM »
Hello everyone. I just acquired another U13, but an attesa version. I have a problem with the front end. The steering has a constant dance to it.  ;D

All bushing an strut is new and ok. But i see an abnormality on the position of the rack ends. They are not straight and are pointing downwards as if the car is jacked up. So i've narrowed my analysis down to that the spindle is changed to the Fwd normal U13, since it currently has in a fwd tranny. I also understand that the attesa U13's rack n pinion is mounted higher than the fwd U13. Please give mi some assistance as to if i am right or wrong with my assumptions, and possible parts that i could replace to get rid of this problem.  I was even wondering if the GTI-R spindle could work also.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Differences in U13 spindles
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6, 2013, 05:28PM »
Hey mate, welcome to the site.

Yes I believe that the racks are different (well, at least they are in the U12 FWD vs AWD). AWD sits higher to clear the transfer cases rear output.

Its FWD at the moment??? What the!!?? Sounds like the car has been goobered!! Take some pictures of it all for us mate.
« Last Edit: Apr 6, 2013, 05:30PM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline thitus1

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6, 2013, 08:18PM »
Yeah it's fwd at the moment. Gonna go 4wd gearbox soon though.

But as to pictures wise i'm gonna start a thread here.
I got some 4wd hub and spindles today. Yesterday, gonna put them on in the morning, and see if it makes a difference.

Offline thitus1

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7, 2013, 08:27AM »
Changed the spindle front spindles this morning, and wow wat a difference it makes. the Tie rod end part of the spindles are different.The 4wd spindle has the tie rod end higher up, while the 2wd one is straight out and lower.