Author Topic: Weird vibration/rattle sound?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
Weird vibration/rattle sound?
« on: Mar 8, 2007, 11:09AM »
Hey guys, i have a U13 1996 Bluebird LX and its been a sweet car, but in the last couple of days its been making a sound that has me worried, mainly in 2nd and third gear at about 2500rpm-2700rpm its making a weird rattle sound that appears to come somewhere from the front-middle of the car. kind of like a rattle sound. I dont know anything about cars other than how to top up oil, and fluids lol. Id rather not walk into a mechanic and have my ass ripped off if its something stupid. I dont flog the car, the max i take it is sometimes 4krpm when im going up a hill or need to accelerate really quickly. I have noticed that sometimes my car is bottoming out on some bigger speed bumps around here and i hear a light scrapping noise, now im thinking i may possible have put a small hole in the exaust under the car. but if i did that wouldnt it make the noise all the time not just in 2/3rd, im pretty sure it doesnt happen in first, and i dont usually have my car at 2500rpm in 4th to check that.

Any possible ideas would be a great help guys, sorry for the crappy explanation of the sound and the area its comming from. it kinda sounds like a vibration/rattle ..even kind of spluttering/backfireish sound (not overly loud)

Things i've done to the car in the last month (3000km/ish) Oil and filter change, spark plug change, air filter change, injector cleaner (the stuff you put in your fuel to clean your injectors) ..havent changed the leads yet.

thanks guys.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
Re: Weird vibration/rattle sound?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:14PM »
I heard that rattle noise last night  on my way home after i turned the radio off.
Turned out to be some metal items in the ash tray. lol
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2007, 01:09AM »
I've had rocks stuck between the heat shield over my exhaust system and the car, and in the exhaust system mounts. They caused the same sort of noise you are describing.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2007, 10:09PM »
Still dunno what it is lol. I've got it booked into a good mechanic and he is going to check it out for me in a few days.