Author Topic: Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World  (Read 13920 times)

Offline trxmad

• post whore
Re: Schapelle Corby
« Reply #60 on: Jun 16, 2005, 09:50PM »
he says u gota, you've got to.. and well, you do. if you'e going into another country u should find out what their laws/customs/culture are.. even though this situation is quite.. extreme..

Offline r31vhead

• antrx.com junior member
  • Tuesday's coming, did you bring your coat?
« Reply #61 on: Jun 17, 2005, 03:06AM »
I don't much like this theory, personally.

Why not? Who are we to decide who has better laws?

Cle, if you read this, do you have that link for the interview? I did a search on google, and found references to it, but couldn't find the interview itself.
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

http://www.r31skylineclub.com

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #62 on: Jun 17, 2005, 03:22AM »
Why not? Who are we to decide who has better laws?

As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in.  They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing.  Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

Just because it's their way of doing it doesn't mean it's the best way, or the fairest way: why should others respect it if it negatively influences them?
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #63 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:30PM »
Because we don't have much of a choice. If we do step in, we compromise to some extent our relationship with Indonesia (which was already damaged by those fools that sent sh!t to the Indo embassy). It's not worth taking it to that extent when there's so much doubt, even among Australians, that she is innocent.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline DaveTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • All Polar Bears are left handed!!
« Reply #64 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:27PM »
I bet it already has ruined the relationship! ::)

Watch the tourism in Bali go down now!

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #65 on: Jun 18, 2005, 12:37AM »
As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in. They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing. Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

That totally depends on how much flanalette and tatoos the father has.

Offline DaveTRX

« Reply #66 on: Jun 18, 2005, 07:09PM »
Yeah....... guess we didnt consider that variable :D

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #67 on: Jun 19, 2005, 03:35PM »
Here's a link related to my point of view on the subject:

Prisons badly run, prisoners 'losers'

This article echoes a number of my sentiments toward crime and punishment.

Offline r31vhead

• antrx.com junior member
  • Tuesday's coming, did you bring your coat?
« Reply #68 on: Jun 20, 2005, 04:35AM »
As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in.  They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing.  Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

Your scenario takes place in a public area. I would certainly not be lecturing the parents on how to raise their child if I were a visitor in their home.

Just because it's their way of doing it doesn't mean it's the best way, or the fairest way: why should others respect it if it negatively influences them?

One problem with that is everyone thinks their way is the best. That's why I think the line should be drawn at "their land, their law", because at least we can define THAT boundary clearly.
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

http://www.r31skylineclub.com

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #69 on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:52AM »
I should not visit news sites.

Aussie youth shares cell with 27

Unfortunate, and ... pointless?

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #70 on: Jun 22, 2005, 04:56AM »
dont got time to read everyones posts but im gonna say this, anyone who thinks that potheads and stoners are lazy bums and cant do a damn thing for themselves is wrong.  im 17 years old, i smoke, i also work 35 hours a week and i show up everyday and do my work.  If people want to judge me because instead of damaging my liver to kick back, i like to damage my lungs, i say fuck you.  4 kilos of pot is alot of moneys worth, here in america you could get the same punishment.  you know what i have to say about all this, worst case scenario a pothead that gets really high becomes lazy and loses his job, alright worst case scenario you drink 40 shots of alcohol and die, ok you drink 10 shots of alcohol and you get drunk and beat your wife.  i dont see how pot is any different than smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.  the only thing thats different is you actually get high and nothing bad happens.  living in southern california i cant tell you how many really smart people from universities smoke pot.  im sure theres plenty of lazy potheads who screw up their lives, but if it wasn't for pot they'd probablly screw up their lives regardless.

the point of all this babble is to get to down to the fact that pot is relatively harmless and making it illiegal is what is creating the danger.  If pot was legal it wouldn't be worth anything because you could grow it anywhere its a WEED.  because the pot is illiegal it has to be grown in secret smuggled and then the economy is ruined because the money is going under the table for the pot.  Would you need to guard your stash with an Ak-47 if your stash was growing in the backyards and empty lots of almost any place?  i dont think so. 
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2005, 05:44AM by DeathPlaza »
I have a sunroof!

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #71 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:13AM »
dont got time to read everyones posts but im gonna say this, anyone who thinks that potheads and stoners are lazy bums and cant do a damn thing for themselves is wrong.  im 17 years old, i smoke, i also work 35 hours a week and i show up everyday and do my work.  If people want to judge me because instead of damaging my liver to kick back, i like to damage my lungs, i say fuck you.  4 kilos of pot is alot of moneys worth, here in america you could get the same punishment.  you know what i have to say about all this, worst case scenario a pothead that gets really high becomes lazy and loses his job, alright worst case scenario you drink 40 shots of alcohol and die, ok you drink 10 shots of alcohol and you get drunk and beat your wife.  i dont see how pot is any different than smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.  the only thing thats different is you actually get high and nothing bad happens.  living in southern california i cant tell you how many really smart people from universities smoke pot.  im sure theres plenty of lazy potheads who screw up their lives, but if it wasn't for pot they'd probablly screw up their lives regardless.

the point of all this babble is to get to down to the fact that pot is relatively harmless and making it illiegal is what is creating the danger. If pot was legal it wouldn't be worth anything because you could grow it anywhere its a WEED. because the pot is illiegal it has to be grown in secret smuggled and then the economy is ruined because the money is going under the table for the pot. Would you need to guard your stash with an Ak-47 if your stash was growing in the backyards and empty lots of almost any place? i dont think so.

that has absolutely no point to this conversation.

as guests to other countries, it is OUR responsibility to learn about the laws etc, and we must respect there laws, EVEN IF we dont see them as just.
As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in. They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing. Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

thats right, its not right for u to step in, so wat gives u the right to step in on another countries laws? the point is this, if u dont like indo laws, THEN DONT FUCKIN GO THERE, but wat gives u the fuckin right to boycot a country because of their laws and try and sway people into following your way of thinking. people who are older than todlers can wipe there own arse after they take a shit, they can also make up their own mind about their travel destinations, putting 'boycott bali' signs down the highway is childish, and fuckin piss weak.
 Nrxysus, ill giv u an example. its a bit extreme but fuck it,(not hanging shit on ya either bud).  u had a party one year, and one or 2 people rekon it sucked arse, but heaps of other had a good night. the next year when u throw a shindig, noone rocks up because those one or 2 people told everyone not to go cuz your last one (they thought) was shithouse. wat right has those one or 2 people got to tell ya mates not to go? (btw this was prob not the best example, but its 8 in the morning and edgy cuz i havnt seen my girl in a week. lol)
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #72 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:16AM »
btw on the 'prisnors loose' article, i didnt read the article out of lazyness, but im guessing it has to do with poor living arringement for prisnors.....if so, SO THEY FUCKIN SHOULD. they arnt there for a fuckin holiday at the taxpayers expense
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Sharms

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #73 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:30AM »
im 17 years old, i smoke, i also work 35 hours a week. 

Continue smoking, and then when your 30 tell me you are still able to work 35 hours......I dont think so.

Anyways, back on topic, hows good Ol' Ron Bakir wanting 500k from Schapelle huh?  Black Knight alright. I think he was hoping for a non-guilty verdict and to cash in on her story etc. He is a Bankcrupt dont forget, well soon to be.

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #74 on: Jun 22, 2005, 11:54AM »
alright, my friends mom has been smoking since the 70s and she works full time earning over 50k a year so i dont think you really have any first hand experience with the long term effects of smoking pot. sure she coughs alot but shes still sharp, nice, and productive.

but your right, that didn't really have much to do with this particular situation.  To tell you the truth she prolly did try to smuggle all that pot in.  my cousin got caught smuggling 5 lbs of pot over the mexican border and he is effectively getting a slap on the wrist, it was pretty much the same situation, he says someone put the weed in his car to trick him into getting it over, whether he actually did it or not?  I dont know, obviously the judge didn't know so thats why hes getting on probation.  In another country they can do whatever the hell they want, but 20 years imprisonment?!  this chick sounds pretty guilty, i can see where the judges would make their decision from it certainly appears that she is guilty. 
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2005, 12:07PM by DeathPlaza »
I have a sunroof!

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #75 on: Jun 22, 2005, 12:00PM »
Unfortunate, and ... pointless?

A good way to describe this thread!
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #76 on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:31PM »
so ignore it
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #77 on: Jun 22, 2005, 04:53PM »
so wat gives u the right to step in on another countries laws?

Perhaps, what I am trying to convey in my prior posts is do we need a 'right', as such, to step in?

the point is this, if u dont like indo laws, THEN DONT FUCKIN GO THERE, but wat gives u the fuckin right to boycot a country because of their laws and try and sway people into following your way of thinking.

Boycotting a destination is "not fucking going there".  Additionally, I am not so far on this side of the debate as to consider myself part of the group of people trying to convince others not to go.  I have merely chosen not to myself.

u had a party one year, and one or 2 people rekon it sucked arse, but heaps of other had a good night. the next year when u throw a shindig, noone rocks up because those one or 2 people told everyone not to go cuz your last one (they thought) was shithouse. wat right has those one or 2 people got to tell ya mates not to go?

The point is, those two friends can tell your other mates not to go.  They have the capacity to.  Do they need the right to?  Your other mates have the choice as to whether to go or not, regardless of what these two tell them.

btw on the 'prisnors loose' article, i didnt read the article out of lazyness, but im guessing it has to do with poor living arringement for prisnors.....if so, SO THEY FUCKIN SHOULD.

You have not read the article.  Basically, the points in it outline how people going into the gaols come out worse than when they went in.  As with that other article I posted.  From the last article I posted:

Quote from: Aussie youth shares cell with 27
THERE are 27 others in my cell. I am number 28. Rapists, murderers - mainly robbers."
These are the words 16-year-old Gordon Vuong, of New South Wales, uses to describe his new life in the squalid Cambodian prison where he will spend the next 13 years.

Vuong was arrested with 2.1 kilograms of heroin taped to his chest at Phnom Penh airport on January 22 and was sentenced last month.

What does it achieve, sending a 16 year old child to a gaol where he will have his humanity crushed for 13 years, only to emerge when he is 29, and be totally incapable of functioning normally in society by that time?  Nothing is gained - he's not a hardened criminal now, and I'd wager society is not a better, safer place for having him locked up.  But when he comes out, he's going to be extremely jaded with society, and may well choose to take out his anger on that society.

Quote from: Prisons badly run, prisoners 'losers'
"And I am not a great believer in the rehabilitative role of prisons – in fact I think they add to (re-offending).

"People are prisoners, generally speaking, because they are losers, in the popular sense, and they are not capable of working in a society as many other people are."

I mean, seriously, why is society better off for detaining Schapelle for 20 years?  She still has value to add to the community and society, economically and spiritually speaking.

they arnt there for a fuckin holiday at the taxpayers expense

Should they be there at the taxpayer's expense at all?  Would it not be better to have them being taxpayers?

Offline DaveTRX

« Reply #78 on: Jun 22, 2005, 08:34PM »
Whoa... that was long!

But it doesnt feel right when we cant play part to make things right for one of our own in their corrupt justice! >:(

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #79 on: Jun 24, 2005, 12:17AM »
But it doesnt feel right when we cant play part to make things right for one of our own in their corrupt justice! >:(

I don't think corrupt is quite the right word.  It's more that justice has not actually been done properly.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
Re: Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World
« Reply #80 on: Aug 23, 2005, 11:05PM »
Rather than create a new thread, I'll rename and resurrect another.

I just now read that that model from Oz has been found to have ecstasy in her bag (they tested the pills).  Then there's that other fellow who had over 2000 pills, and so on.  Is it just me, or are there a lot more of these types of arrests nowadays?  Or do you think it's the media bringing it to our attention more, since the whole Corby incident?

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
Re: Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World
« Reply #81 on: Aug 23, 2005, 11:18PM »
Just to add to the Corby thing, most of my drug friends no or no of her family. They apparently altho i have got this from atleast 3 different people,are complete and utter drugo's. so that cant help her.

On the weed thing, there is nothing wrong with weed, and no im not a stoner, i have never BOUGHT weed put it that way. but drugs are a part of life. Making them illegal doesnt get rid of them it just amps up the price and lengths that people will go to to get them around the country which is what happend to corby in my opinion.

As to the shit about drugs, there are 4 things that are on the news and gov commersals that piss me off which go in this order:

1. Stuff about hooning.
2. Stupid speeding adds which are 100% false (me thinks of the dad and kid in the holden which hit the mum and the baby, i laugh at that add)
3. Kids and the internet. Lets scare idiot parents by saying that there are pedos on the other side of our kids convo's that can get naked pictures and make em fall in love with them just by them chatting on chat sites.
4. Drug media and commersials. If u want us to stop taking drugs then tell us the truth, not some stupid scare tactics to make us stop taking shit!

the GOV will neva get it right.