Author Topic: Nissans are from Mars, Commodores are from Uranus  (Read 11769 times)

Offline Big Pimp

• Commodore Relations Manager
  • antrx.com junior member
  • Prepar for fully sick pimpin'
Re: Nissans are from Mars, Commodores are from Uranus
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:46PM »
you gotta compare apples with apples. comparing a top range commodore (hsv v8) with a top of the range pintara (96kw 4cyl) is not a valid comparison.

Too true noss, The commodore would be more like a watermellon, A stock watermellon may roll down a hill faster, but it don't turn too well!

yeah finished now the moral is commies are good and bad and people should respect other peoples preferences and opinions.
Can't we all just get along :)

Offline NeVetS

• Dent King!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #31 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:47PM »
If you brake during oversteer you are pretty well f*cked (Unless you have ABS) which is probably what happend to those two friends of yours who crashed NeVetS. Panicked and hit the brakes when they lost controll.

Yeah lets just say the one that is a friend can't drive to good! But he ownes a 89 celica now and hasn't had anything happen yet! As for the other guy that also said that thing about turbos was just a f*ckhead that i went to school with!(In no way a friend) When i got the pinny he got all cut n sh*t saying his car could do this and that because everyone lliked mine better(One of the better cars in the school car park back then). I laught at him.

. It is VN drivers that give the rest of us a bad name, but don't worry, they're all driving themselves into extinction!

HA lol lets hope so!

Offline WantaTRX

• 1991 White TRX
« Reply #32 on: Jun 17, 2004, 08:27PM »
I'm with the "everyone has their own opinion" thing, even though I am an extremely strong Ford fan and I despise commodores... I do think that every has their rights, because i can see that I don't like commodores, so others are quite entitled to see thigns differently, i mean hell, if we all thought the same, how queer would that be?

Shawn
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Browny_r31

« Reply #33 on: Jun 17, 2004, 11:05PM »
lol i just hate aussie cars in general. Nah the thing that annoys me is two main reasons:

Vl drivers think they are soo much faster than r31 drivers simply because they have a fully sik holden computer on it (that makes shit all differance) when in fact a vl has around 5 less kws than a r31 stock. (liek 5 kws make a hell of alot of differance really).

The other thing is that on large car cruises u always get a wanker commo driver doing burnouts and being fully sik which attracts the cops and gets the cop to defect the jap imports. When really the jap cars have done nothing wrong and are being civilised performance car lovers. I have often been on car cruises where it has been all good, lots of high performance jap imported cars being well behaved then a group of commodores rock up do burnouts and leave.... 5 misn the cops are there defecting all the cars still there meanwhile the commos are gone.

Lastly the whole chop the rear springs and leave the fronts normals as it makes my car hanlde better and loks killla is shit. I hate that look. It looks crap and makes your car handle worse.

Thats what annoys me with commodores. My family used to have a VR clubsport and it was a really nice car. i learnt to drive in it and i have no complaints about the car what so eva. Its just the people that drive them (true not all commodore drivers are wankers just being very general).

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #34 on: Jun 18, 2004, 12:48AM »
I can attest to that shitty snap oversteer Jimbo.  I have suffered it a few times before I learnt how to control it correctly.  It gets worse with lowering and better tyres/rims.  As you grip more, but when you loose it you loose it big time.

Can I ask, just how fast are we erm.... "theorising" about going around corners at?  I've had my Corsair for 3+ years, and to my knowledge, never experienced major understeer.  I've taken to occasional corner reasonably fast (ie faster than is safe to do so), but I couldn't tell you about the disadvantages of understeer, because I can't identify it!

As far as Commodores go, personally, I think they're the nicer looking car (compared to Falcons).  Never driven a Falcon or a Commodore though.  (Actually, I've driven very few RWD cars!)

I must say, I do like the look of a tastefully done VL Calais...

Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #35 on: Jun 18, 2004, 01:15AM »
I guess your smarter than us then Narxysus and are slowing down more! :)  I'm talking about oversteer as well, not understeer.  You pretty much get that whenever you spin the front wheels and try to turn a corner, especially in the wet.  The car just wants to plough forward.

There are a few particular corners on the way to and from my place of work that have caught me out a few times with 'snap oversteer'.

Anyway, I too like a nice VL.  Especially if its a nice VLT Calais.  Pity holden didn't style them, or design & build the motor.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Browny_r31

« Reply #36 on: Jun 18, 2004, 04:17AM »
yeah i tend to agree with that. A VLT calais is probably the nicest Holden eva made..... funny that holden didnt design much of it really or build the engine. Go the nissan engines still number 1 in my books

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #37 on: Jun 18, 2004, 12:21PM »
I think the RB30e in the vl commodore would be more advanced than the V6 pushrod motor in new commodores.

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #38 on: Jun 18, 2004, 12:24PM »
Can I ask, just how fast are we erm.... "theorising" about going around corners at? 

Try a roundabout at 70-80k

Offline Bluprint

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Nissan R31 Series 3 Skyline Silhouette
    • Cruise Pics
« Reply #39 on: Jun 18, 2004, 12:59PM »
I think the RB30e in the vl commodore would be more advanced than the V6 pushrod motor in new commodores.

I think that the overall engine design is, but apparently the electronic management and the ignition isn't
I'd believe the bit about the management....there is about 18 years difference between the 2, and the current V6 uses electronic ignition instead of a distributor
Up to VS2 I'd say yes the RB30 is more advanced.

They're basically as efficient as each other
Current Commodore produces 40kw per litre of capacity, RB30 produces 38kw per litre
So I guess that spotlights the VN & VP engines as dogs, which only manage 32.8 or so kw per litre

Just think of an S2000 engine..... 68kw per litre....mmm high strung

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #40 on: Jun 18, 2004, 02:05PM »
The other thing is that on large car cruises u always get a wanker commo driver doing burnouts and being fully sik which attracts the cops and gets the cop to defect the jap imports. When really the jap cars have done nothing wrong.

i know this is a bit off topic. But the jap cars have done something wrong - they are driving a car with defects. Nothing shits me more than people who complain "oh f$%king cops defected me cos of my neons!". take the risk, pay the price.
However, it is still very annoying that wankers in commodores fuck cruises up though cos its end up labelling everyone as being stupid hoons  >:(
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #41 on: Jun 18, 2004, 02:18PM »
Lastly the whole chop the rear springs and leave the fronts normals as it makes my car hanlde better and loks killla is sh*t. I hate that look. It looks crap and makes your car handle worse.
I thought this barbaric practice whent out with american grafiti

Any way with the VL's. It's like when you build something with lego, you didn't design the blocks, but when you put them together nicely, your damn proud.

Also the RB30 wouldn't have enough torque to pull the later model holdens (And old peoples caravans in the calais) as well as the pushrod motor

Offline squid

• poosah
« Reply #42 on: Jun 18, 2004, 04:49PM »
there are wankers that drive imports as well as wankers that drive commodores. there will always be wankers, no matter what cars they are driving. i drive a commodore sometimes, does that make me a wanker (don't answer that question :p)? commodores aren't that bad to drive, and they are quite fuel efficient and good as a family car, and that is what they are meant to be. with some proper suspension work, they actually handle quite well, and have also got quite a bit of power stock. i was looking at getting one before i got the pulsar (i got it because it was cheap), and a commodore would be my second choice of car after an s13

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #43 on: Jun 18, 2004, 04:53PM »
the point that has been raised (which we all know anyway) is that there are certain people that choose to drive commodores for whatever reason that are wankers. but then there are also the same type of wankers that choose to drive fords, imports, and even ferarris.

so um.. yeh, if its just gonna be the same points continuosly mentioned on every page i'll lock this thread as its gonna go nowhere.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #44 on: Jun 18, 2004, 05:08PM »
Ok we'll try and get this topic off of wanking, if you want to discuss that log onto Dr. Feelgood

What is the strangest or crappest mod/s you have seen on a Commodore?
If you can put up a photo of it and we'll try and work out the reasoning for it

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #45 on: Jun 18, 2004, 05:18PM »
the holden sticker on the windscreen is my favourite crap mod. that and the nismo sticker on a vn.

Offline squid

• poosah
« Reply #46 on: Jun 18, 2004, 07:07PM »
a vk with a bonnet bulge, with a supercharger painted onto the bulge

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #47 on: Jun 20, 2004, 06:18PM »
Here is a brilliant commodore, even has a stylish key mark down the side... ::)

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #48 on: Jun 20, 2004, 09:33PM »
Those roof racks and hub caps really top it off.

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #49 on: Jun 20, 2004, 11:37PM »
Without wishing to ignite a FWD vs RWD flamewar (I came to this thread abit late)...

FWD was made popular by two groundbreaking cars.

The first being the Citroen Traction Avant, which showed (in the 40's) that FWD was better for handling in the snow and other icy conditions. Something which makes the FWD layout still so popular in America and Europe today. The Yanks had 6.6L 325HP Chain Driven FWD Oldsmobile or similar at one stage in the 1970s.

The other one was the Mini. Alec Issogonis (sp?) showed that you could have an extremely small car(due to the East-West Engine Layout) that was fast, handled well and could carry 4 decent sized adults.

However with the advent of: Non Agricultural 4WD set-up's (the Jenson Interceptor FF had the 4wd system from a Massey-Ferguson Tractor!) and more recently all the acronyms like: TC, ESP, YC, ABD, ABS, ATTESSA,EBD etc etc etc Rear Wheel Drive has come back into fashion because the offer more fun and driver involvement. Apparently Audi is looking at RWD again and Chrysler has released its first RWD Sedan in many years, the 300C.

As for Holden Commodores....I thought I may as well have added something constructive with my post instead of having many ****asterisked**** words. Not a big fan of them at all! Though the Amberley Autos Twin Turbo LS1 Monaro, YUM  ;D

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #50 on: Jun 21, 2004, 12:53AM »
A lot of commodores get exported because they are a big cheap RWD. The main cars these days that are RWD are luxury cars such as Mercedes and BMW, which are too expensive for most people.

Browny_r31

« Reply #51 on: Jun 21, 2004, 08:48AM »
or the sports car like the s2000, 350z rx8 etc. They are all main RWD cars. The only cars that are FWD are the small buzz boxs ons and mitsushitties.

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #52 on: Jun 21, 2004, 03:32PM »
i must be the biggest freak here! I am an absolute holden freak. bu ti wouldn't say im a holden fuckwit.... just an average one!  ;D but yeah, i've grown up with absolutely no motoring input from my folks and i basically orgasm  :o at the sight of a sweet holden..... but i will admit that there are some commo drivers who are total bogans.  if they had it their way, the seat covers would be the same as their fave flannelette shirt..... but i do luvs my baby........ nissans rock..... but holden utes forever.........
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #53 on: Jun 21, 2004, 03:50PM »
on the subject of holdens, i saw a yellow cv8 monaro the other night with two holes in the bonnet.

one hole had a pod filter sticking out of it on a 45 degree angle, the other hole had a supercharger sticking out of it.

the plates on it were 'EASY10'

didnt have my camera with me so i couldnt take pics. i didnt like it anyway, the pod filter looked tacky and i hate the bright yellow on the monaros, it just doesnt suit them.

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #54 on: Jun 21, 2004, 03:52PM »
lol so the pod was actually outa the bonet, mmmm i bet thats a target and a half
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Browny_r31

« Reply #55 on: Jun 21, 2004, 04:02PM »
yeah great when it rains too i guess. stupid

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #56 on: Jun 21, 2004, 08:52PM »
Go bob!  Go commodores... if they are V8's :)

The V8 Commodores aren't bad, I'd consider owning one, the V6 Commodores are another story, however. I've been in many a VN (and driven a couple), and although they're pretty easy to drive cars, they're not the performance cars that some of the owners make them out to be. Besides, the V6 is, IMO, a rough old POS engine.

Then again, I'm a Ford man, so I'd rather a Falcon (6 or V8), we've owned both, and they've both been fine (mainly Fords though), and I like my Japanese cars too (go the Pintara). On FWD vs RWD, I've driven my old man's Pulsar many times, and I don't find FWD all that bad in the smaller cars, but on a larger car, I'd prefer a RWD. Hence, I'll be looking at Falcons when it comes time to upgrade the Pintara (hopefully EF2 Fairmont Ghia) :)

It's not necessarily the Commodores themselves that deserve the reputation, it's some of the drivers, although you see that with every car, Commodores, Falcons, Lancers, Skylines, hell, maybe even Pintaras.
Former Pintara owner, now driving a Pug!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #57 on: Jun 21, 2004, 09:07PM »
We certainly did see it with a pintara once... melbourne cruiser's will know what I mean ::)

I like driving with Bob in his commodore, its roomy, comfy and the heater starts to work really quickly :)

But I like my corsair for throwing around corners and cruising through town.

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #58 on: Jun 21, 2004, 09:43PM »
The V6 in the VN is a shockingly rough drive but the VS V6 is a different story due to the new computer controlled dual mode gear box and the refining of the engin with ECOTECH heads
The ECOTEC (Emissions and Consumption Optimisation TEChnology) V6 is more powerful, more economic, produces less emissions, quieter and smoother than the previous 3800 V6

You can't discredit the whole V6 range after driving the most slaped together model ever made by holden. The ECOTECH heads gives the VS an extra 22kW (125 kW stock to 147 kW stock) I know the figures aren't that impressive when compared to the 5L or 5.7L V8 but they are still a nice car to drive and with a few suspension and performance mods they make a very wicked ride.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #59 on: Jun 21, 2004, 09:51PM »
yeah great when it rains too i guess. stupid

it was parked on the sideof the road in the pouring rain when i saw it