Author Topic: Alternator problems  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Alternator problems
« on: Jul 24, 2007, 02:29PM »
Hey guys was wondering if anyone could help me. 2 days ago when I was driving my car TI started squeal whenever I turned the wheel.

Lifted the bonnet, drive belt looked okay, than to my horror  :o, I saw that while my alternator had the top bracket to the engine block well secured, underneath their is a hole for I believe an extremely long bolt.

Because this bolt is missing, (God knows how it didnt come out and get stuck in anything) the alternator pivets a bit to the left and right meaning the drive belt moves as well.  :(

I went to Nissan and they werent sure but they think its a bolt they need to order from Japan meaning 1 week wait.

I tried wreckers to no luck, A1 Nissan tried (bloke was awesome) and he ripped a two small bolts from a CA20E alternator which didnt fit. He gave me a long bolt and told me to get one custom made from a bolt place nearby.

Just wanted to know if anyone know if its one long bolt or two small bolts.

BTW I noticed my alternator said Mitsubishi as well.  :o

Cheers guys.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
Re: Alternator problems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2007, 02:37PM »
Hehehehee

Mitsubishi make altenators, regulators and a bunch of electrical equipment. Dont be surprised to find alot more mitsubishi parts under the bonnet. :P

Talk to Chris, SSS or any of the Ka guys, they should know.

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2007, 03:04PM »
Ok i can relate to this because believe it or not, this was my exact problem when i bought my car.

you will find two bolts that look like this

Thats what is missing im assuming?

You cant really tell from this pic

but if your car has aircon its the same setup as the compressor so if you go to a wreckers and pick up two of the aircon bolts, problem solvered!

Thats how i fixed mine, when i found out what the problem was.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2007, 05:42PM »
I'll see if i got a few spare bolts dude

pm me ur name and address.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2007, 07:24PM »
if ur insydney go to pick and pay less there are a few ka's laying around........the bolt would be free they dont charge for that sorta stuff, even when u say u have it.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2007, 03:29PM »
Well heres an update, thanks first of all for the prompt repsone and thankx for the offer.

Problem is, my mechanic tried to fit two new bolts and they wouldnt even fit, so he too off the alternator and saw that both bolts have broken with the tips still stuck in the bolt holes. He couldnt remove it so he recommended I take it to an Engine reconditioner cuz he said they can drill into it and use something called an Ezy Remove or something to unscrew it.

Fortunatley he did tighten the main bracket so its more rigid but gotta get it done soon.  :(

I know of some reconditioners in my Area of Mansfield (Brisbane) anyone know any suggested places (alternator repairers etc)

Cheers guys, thanks again Chris.  :)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Asephx

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2007, 04:11PM »
I had this problem not too long ago...
The bolt on the left (the longer bolt) of my alternator had snapped off and it was being held on by the one on the right (which is the shorter one)... i had to therefore drill out the snapped off bolt from the frame holding on the alternator

If you dont get this fixed very soon then the area around the bolts holding on alternator will snap (in the area shown in the second of Kanzy's pictures) which means either a new alternator or getting it rewelded (if possible)

My steps to fix this is as followed:
1. Removed the alternator completely
2. Remove the big metal thing that holds the alternator to the engine block (this was about 5 bolts i think)
3. Got my drill and drilled into the snapped bolt. I went in far enough that the drill bit was able to catch the bolt, which therefore made it twist and come out
4. Bolt the frame back onto the engine block... (minus the bolt explained in the next step)
(now here comes the 'dodgy' part that will fix it till you get the bolt)
5. One of the 5 or so bolts used to hold this bracket onto the block is the perfect size for your left hand side of the alternator
6. Use this long bolt to hold on the alternator

I know taking one bolt from something to use on another is a little dodgy, however, mines been this way for about 3 months now and ive had no issues with this bolt missing from the bracket (seeings as there are about 4 other bolts holding it on)... Plus finding a new alternator is a pain in the ass plus expensive and anything that will stop is from braking is going to be a great help... The alternator snapping is going to happen far earlier than the effects from the missing bolt you took from the bracket so it will give you a little more time to find this bolt

i hope all this made sense... im at work and typed it in a hurry and from memory

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2007, 04:31PM »
Cheers bro will try it when can, it made sense.

Just a quick question when reconnecting the alternator is their anything special in terms of positives and negatives wires etc.

Massive help tho, will do it, in the mean time back to Brisbane buses lol.

Now if only I could find that electric drill charger..... lol :)

Offline Asephx

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2007, 04:48PM »
All I did was disconnect the battery (I should have looked but it began as just tinkering around and ended up in removing a poop load of stuff)...
There is a scan of the service manual on the forums that should tell you if you need to do anything special

Hehe yeah I had the same problem with my drill when I was doing it... It ran out just as I got the bolt out far enough to grab it with the plyers... If the bolt doesn't twist the right way (becuase you will be drilling in a way that will screw the bolt in) you may need an extractor tool, which are about $5 at bunnings or a reverse drill bit

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 3, 2007, 04:03PM »
Hey bro quick question, did you have trouble drilling into the snapped ends? Cuz I got the plate off, but try as I might cant drill into the ends, I have been using a electric hammer drill with different types of drill pieces to no avail?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks man.

Btw Chris I may have to hit you up for some bolts. :)

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 3, 2007, 04:52PM »
hey i have an alternator mounting bracket from a U12 corsair sitting on the shelf yours if you want it no charge pick up from stafford brisbane

Offline Asephx

« Reply #11 on: Aug 3, 2007, 06:37PM »
Hey bro quick question, did you have trouble drilling into the snapped ends? Cuz I got the plate off, but try as I might cant drill into the ends, I have been using a electric hammer drill with different types of drill pieces to no avail?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks man.

Btw Chris I may have to hit you up for some bolts. :)

Nope no problems drilling in... What kind of trouble are you having? you dont have to drill all the way through the bolt, just a few mm should do it
What seems to be the problem with the drilling? I was using an elec drill that was running out of batts and it was going thru fine... is it in reverse? hehe

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 3, 2007, 08:15PM »
Hey Asephx I was laughing so hard when you said drilling in reverse, I just had an image of a thick headed person doing that.

Nah man dont know eh, when I drill it barely drills, it doesnt even make much of scratch and thats with different types of drill bits. Will try again tho.

Ay old n tired your a lifesaver, I will PM you once I tried drilling again whether I will grab the bracket or not.

Just wanna say thanks guys.  :D

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 8, 2007, 06:20PM »
Hey old n tired, when wud it be ok to come get the bracket? :)

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 8, 2007, 07:14PM »

Nah man dont know eh, when I drill it barely drills, it doesnt even make much of scratch and thats with different types of drill bits. Will try again tho.

I know it probably dosn't matter now but: I would say that your drill bits are blunt