Author Topic: KA24E Extractors...  (Read 5070 times)

Offline kickin it

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
KA24E Extractors...
« on: Oct 1, 2008, 11:43PM »
Gday all, ive got me first car (90 TRX 2.4L) and done the pod filter and other visual mods to me car. Ive looked through heaps of threads on here about exhausts, extractors, cannons, etc. Just wanted to get a link to a page and know, whats a good set of extractors, and the $$$ to be spent. i soon hope to get some more funds in order after paying my schoolies and get 2.5" cat back and whatever.
Cheers

Offline kickin it

Re: KA24E Extractors...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1, 2008, 11:45PM »
And prob put this in wrong section... My bad

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Oct 2, 2008, 01:31AM »
none, they eat the penile
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Oct 2, 2008, 02:33AM »
What chris should have said is that all the off the shelf items are a very basic crap mass produced item. You will see a little bit of gain out of a set of extractors and exhaust but if your serious about it you should look at getting a custom set of headers made up.

Reason they are no good is the overall design isnt perfect, never is with that sort of thing. Pipe size they use doesnt suit the ports on the head.

If that sort of thing isnt a problem for you then yeah look at getting a full exhaust done including extractors.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • antrx.com senior member
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #4 on: Oct 2, 2008, 10:15AM »
as a question how much would full custom header be looking to set you back?
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Oct 2, 2008, 10:51AM »
Properly designed & hand fabricated, i'd estimate about $1k.

For that kind of money you'd be making gains throughout the whole rev range.

Offline kickin it

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2, 2008, 11:30AM »
well if i had a grand to spend on some sweet arse headers i would probably go there, but as an unemployed teenager i think i might scrape around for some cash and get off shelf extractors and full exhaust.
Can i later buy custum headers and have them replace the extractors?

And CANNONS??? worth it for performance, cause i havnt heard much on them except blokes at school are gettin them put on there exhaust to make them sound better...?
Cheers

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Oct 2, 2008, 11:41AM »
Don't bother with the off-the-shelf extractors on the KA24E mate.  The reason they are reasonably priced is due to the stock cast exhaust manifolds tendency to crack after a while, causing exhaust leaks, so companies many them to replace the stock cast item, as they are cheaper than genuine nissan.

Best bang for your buck and performance for the KA24E would be a 2.5 press bent system, get yourself a 2nd hand magna V6 or commodore V6 cat convertor to replace the smaller U12 unit.

Get yourself a nice high-flow 2.5 muffler, do not get a cannon unless you like your KA24E to sound like one big constant fart!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline kickin it

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2, 2008, 12:02PM »
Yeh ok then sounds good, ill start gettin some stuff together. And with those cannons i was in my mates car and we were cruzing about 80kmh and the thing drives you nuts, droning in the background.
Cheers for your help guys  :-* hehe

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #9 on: Oct 2, 2008, 05:57PM »

Best bang for your buck and performance for the KA24E would be a 2.5 press bent system, get yourself a 2nd hand magna V6 or commodore V6 cat convertor to replace the smaller U12 unit.

ooooooo! would the same thing work for the u13 as i have a catback exhaust system atm and the cat is still the stock one

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Oct 2, 2008, 11:16PM »
well if i had a grand to spend on some sweet arse headers i would probably go there, but as an unemployed teenager i think i might scrape around for some cash and get off shelf extractors and full exhaust.
Can i later buy custum headers and have them replace the extractors?

And CANNONS??? worth it for performance, cause i havnt heard much on them except blokes at school are gettin them put on there exhaust to make them sound better...?
Cheers

Coming from a fellow teenager, don't waste your PRECIOUS dollars on off the shelf extractors, seriously. You will see a gain, but its nothing that will pull the wrinkles out of your dick any faster than you want it to. It's not worth the 300 odd dollars or whatever. Spend that $300 on a decent pair of jeans or something, seriously. Do something more productive with it

Ask yourself what you want the car for before you spend any money on it, why put extractors and this and that on for when you're going to sell it to buy another car? Don't give me the "I love this car bla bla crap" cos you'll get over it in 3 months. If you're not going to go the full mile, don't bother with custom extractors.

Cannons? their cheap as fuck. All they do is make young girlies look at you and say, hey your cool your car makes a fart noise, can I be your hussy?

If you wanna be noticed, be smarter than "the blokes at school" and unbolt your muffler! cheap or what? haha..

No seriously, don't waste your money.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Oct 3, 2008, 09:12AM »
Sounds like he's after them just to say that he "has them".

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Oct 3, 2008, 09:58AM »
spending $300 on jeans is productive? yeh right.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #13 on: Oct 3, 2008, 09:59AM »
spending $300 on jeans is productive? yeh right.
go get a pair from target for $40 then spend the rest on hanging out with mates and booze and petrol, now that sounds like a good idea :P

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #14 on: Oct 3, 2008, 11:35AM »
go get a pair from target for $40 then spend the rest on hanging out with mates and booze and petrol, now that sounds like a good idea :P

Agreed, I could get all the way down the great ocean rd, pub meal... then back on 98 octane in the ATTESA for $100 :P

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Oct 3, 2008, 11:59AM »
$300 on jeans is gay chris

you now have gaids

budge and yourself can have a separate support section titled "living and dealing with gaids"

:D

Offline kickin it

« Reply #16 on: Oct 3, 2008, 12:20PM »
well fellas i was getting some cheap options and it seems jeans are my best pick??? ill most likely go the reasonable option of magna cat, 2.5" pipe, highflow muffler. seems alright.
I bought this car cheap as, i paid just under 2g for everything, the car, RWC, rego, insurance. I prob will get sick of it but it gives me something to do and work on, and itll make a sweet first car for me little sis to have in the later years.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #17 on: Oct 3, 2008, 12:52PM »
Don't let an exhaust shop talk you out of 2.5" press bent either... as it will be dropping down to 2.25 in bends... and 2.25 press bent is too small for a KA

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Oct 3, 2008, 01:38PM »
from my experience with the ka24e, i am convinced that my t was quicker with stock exhaust manifold and 2.5" exhaust than my trx was with extractors and 2.5" exhaust.

i was never convinced from day 1 that the extractors made any difference after being installed.. driving the t and having it feel quicker gave me further doubts.

just dont buy $300 jeans. that was probably the worst advice i've read on these forums ever.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #19 on: Oct 3, 2008, 02:00PM »
only buy $300 jeans if they are being taken off a hot chick right infront of you so you can have all the spoils.

from my experience with the ka24e, i am convinced that my t was quicker with stock exhaust manifold and 2.5" exhaust than my trx was with extractors and 2.5" exhaust.

I always thought it was a 3" but never checked to measure. 

Offline kickin it

« Reply #20 on: Oct 3, 2008, 04:42PM »
ive read on here a few times about exhaust shops saying to go 2.25" but im keen on the 2.5" and ill most definetley keep away from the extractors they sound real shithouse.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Oct 5, 2008, 01:49PM »
hahahha @ 300 jeans comment

The way it was meant to be said was, USE the 300 to buy some jeans not, $300 jeans must be bought haha