Author Topic: How long should front struts last?  (Read 10494 times)

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
How long should front struts last?
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:33PM »
Old George clocked over 287,000 and I decided to have a look at the tyres... unbolt the front wheel and OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME!!! My front struts are the original, factory standard Monroe units. They are not OE replacements as they have FEB89 on them - February 1989. George left the Dealer's in March 1989

How long should I get from my front struts?

how long has anyone else got from a set?

What's the recommendation for a new set (Pedders/Monroe pricing - not Koni/KYB)

thanks all.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: How long should front struts last?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:30AM »
i changed my rears last year in november and my fronts last year in around march, i had bought them at the same time it was just a matter of being stuffed to change them. they were all actually completely cactus when i took them out, but they were the originals, my car was built october 91.

a lot of people here will hammer you with the 'buy konis or at the absolute least kyb, anything else isnt worth it' crap.. but really you have to think about what you want to use your car for and what your price range is. its not worth getting the more expensive brands if you're just going to drive on the street, and gauranteed none of the people saying to get koni or kyb have ever been to the track anyway.

a set of monroe gas sports shocks will be a good improvement over the oiled up stockos, they're probably not as good as the konis or the kybs, but the difference wouldnt be all that much, afterall, there isnt going to be too many revolutionary advancements in how a gas strut is constructed from company to company.

i personally run monroe gas up front and gabriel gas in the rear. i've had no problems with either brands and my car handles pretty bloody well, both brands have a much firmer ride than the stock and oem oil replacement units, the gabriels are actually stiffer than the monroes. handling in my car has been simply excellent since installing them, but then i do have stiffer springs & swaybars as well.

as for when to replace them, if you push down on the back or front of your car and its easy to push down and generally squishy response, then you need to replace your struts.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline POVR31

• antrx.com senior member
  • go my POVmobile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:24AM »
I have an R31 1990 and had factory shocks in the front and comfort pedders in the rear.Shithouse to say the least. A good test is to give it a good push if it doesnt straighten up immediatly e.g. bounces a bit then you should really get new shockers.

I have pedders sports shocks and springs for $600 and $400 to get it all put in. It made quite a massive difference. Feels much more solid and their is very little bodyroll now (the rest of the suspension is old factory). I am still very happy with them and have had no problems to date. I am sure kyb and all that other shit are better but they also cost more.

I would safely say that the majority of people giving advice have not tried both brands of shocks on their current setup and so have no real means of comparison between them other than word of mouth (which is bullshit).
The POVmobile....suspension, rims, customsied POV gearbox and POVerised paint.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:54AM »
I would safely say that the majority of people giving advice have not tried both brands of shocks on their current setup and so have no real means of comparison between them other than word of mouth (which is bullshit).

yep agreed there. its really annoying when people make comparisons of something they have never actually compared in the same car which is what i meant to add in my previous post.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:17AM »
agreed. buy based on what ur using it for. if ur keepin it relitively stock. pedders/monroe are ok. im not a fan of them, but theres no need to go better if its a put put car.  im boosting my pinny which is why i went kyb.
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:30PM »
i was thinking Monroe, just from talking to people and i repeatedly get 'pedders are crap'

I was amazed that the struts are factory - even after all these years (when I bought the car it had 194000 on it, you'd think they'dve been changed)

It looks like a bastard of a job, or at least going to cost me a set of spring compressors.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2005, 07:01PM »
I put monroe gas in the rear of mine a few years back along with lowered king springs and a whiteline sway bar and it was pretty sloppy... I've got koni's all 'round and I'd never go back.  I don't 'hit the track', but loooove the roads up out my way... (dandenongs)... comments from other who have driven with me through the hills include 'dude, how the fark do u go around those corners so fast!'

Basically u get what u pay for when it comes to shocks... another good thing about koni's - they're servicable. So, they'll pretty much last forever unless u stack and bend them...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:10PM »
If you take it into Pedders and get the $14 saftey check they will put your car on the shock adsorber test machine and tell you if they need replacing. They will also check for worn bushes/ball joints etc. Then they give you a no obligation quote on fixing the whole lot.

Offline SLY-031

• antrx.com full member
  • The One and Only ;)
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2005, 02:11PM »
do all the work yourself and you waont pay a cent on labour. borrow some compressors. pull the struts out yourself and replace the inserts.

its not hard, i have done it numerous times to my car.

not all aussie built cars are holden or ford...