Author Topic: first engine mod  (Read 2900 times)

Offline wak GLi

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • wak pinny... just wait till i get a r32 gtr
first engine mod
« on: Nov 14, 2005, 02:21PM »
hey guys, i know this mod has been done (and posted) to death but its my first engine mod so im really proud of my self :)
neway, i got a free pod filter off a mate of mine whos a mechanic and he installed it and gave me the parts all for free, unfortuetly he was working on a mates VL turbo as well at the time so after he wacked it on there was no time to make any heat shield or CAI for it, it was just to replace the air box...

so anyway i was driving around really stoked about how my car was now ultra cool thanx to my pod. But i knew that sumthing had to be done about the air flow coz it was just breathing in hot engine bay air...
so with what little money i had i went out and got sum piping to channle in some cold air from outside

i figured coz u can only buy the pipe in bulk, why settle for a single pipe when u can have two for twice the air!!

notice the zip ties holding the tubes in place? yeah, u can tell im on a very tight budget...

the first one goes around the batery and down undernieth the headlight

The second was a little tricky coz there wasnt enough room for it to go through the same holes as the first one, and i couldnt put it accross too the other side becouse the tube would proboly melt from the extracters and by the time the air gets from the other side to the pod filter it would either be too hot or too weak in pressure to make a diference. so the second tube runs down undernieth the engine bay...

and then through to the front bumper...

so now both pipes come out the front sucking in all the glorious cold air...

i even painted them to match the bumper, hopefully the jacks wont decide to put a yellow sticker on my car...

now i know there are numerous things wrong with it but i wanna hear all ur suggestions and flames as to what eles i can do to make it better... all i know is it is a lot better then before and it doesnt overheat as much as it did with out the piping

-andrew

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
Re: first engine mod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2005, 02:29PM »
andrew... congrats on your eagerness to modify your car, especially on such a tight budget, you may get a slight improvement from your setup, i stress SLIGHT...
perhaps later down the track you could go to the wreckers and get some piping and flex parts from a vn and setup a proper CAI system?
...look forward to seeing what you do next
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2005, 02:31PM »
I think the pipes would be less obvious if they were black, look whats in the hole, black crap, 2 white pipes are obvious.

Jecks, how come this is here ? wouldn't it be performance ????

lol, move it once more :P, Thought so...

Oh bdw mate, keep it going :D
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2005, 02:33PM by chr1S »
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline wak GLi

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2005, 02:35PM »
lol yeah, after they see the rest of the engine they will probobly feel too sorry for me to slap me on the wrist so it doesnt matter too much. thanx jecks, when i start working again i might do sumthing a bit more long term but its kinda fun just stuffing around with it :)

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005, 05:50PM »
well done on making the first step on the looong road of modification. Be prepared to have no money in your bank account from now on!

I would be very doubtful that all the effort you put into those 'pipes' would make any effect though.  :-\ The pod filter sucks so hard that air literally comes in from all directions. If you want to test this out, turn your car on, lift the bonnet and rev the engine (with the throttle cable) with your head next to the pod filter. It surprised me how hard the air gets sucked through it! Unless you have a sealed system or the pod is down in the bumper, you won't get much cold air through those pipes to the pod.

Not to spoil your party or anything. ;)

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:31PM »
you won't get much cold air through those pipes to the pod.

yep, and having holy pipe (ag-pipe) makes it even more useless :P

I suggest you seal the pod off from the rest of the engine bay and get some unholy piping.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:31AM »
I picked up some 4" or 5" convoluted pipe from kerbside clean-up tonight, I'm gonna warm it up and mould it into a CAI for my car.

BTW I'm keeping the airbox.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline wak GLi

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2005, 05:55PM »
lol yeah i noticed the holes in the pipe after i put it in, surpirzingly tho it makes a lot of diference compaired to having no piping at all so im happy with it in some ways.
my first idea was to keep the stock airbox and use it as a heat shield around the filter but the one off my ca18e is blody small so not only doesnt it fit around the filter but it would let in so little air that there wouldnt be a point in changing it over...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:30AM »
...the one off my ca18e is blody small...
If you've got a CA18E in your Pintara I'd be worried. They came standard with a CA20E.

Putting a pod in a standard airbox is a waste of time, you'd be better off running piping down behind your bumper bar and sticking the pod down there.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:33PM »
But if it were a CA18DE... I wouldn't be as worried, although I would still be slightly worried.

His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline nizu12

• antrx.com junior member
  • Banned.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 8, 2006, 02:04PM »
I've got a pod in my u12 executive and it sucks like a muthafu**a, its good though. the piping does'nt really do much, because like said before, the pod sucks from all directions, not just through the end of it. if you wanna get a bit more clean air, install an oil catch can. If your motor is a CA20, put the catch can in the space over near the washer bottle. Remove the hose that goes from the top of your rocker cover to the air intake. Then run some 10mm (or what ever fits best) vacume hose from the top of the rocker cover to the catch can, then from the catch can run the same type of hose to the air intake. Then give your throttle body a clean with throttle body cleaner. I done that because the was alot of oil and other random crap spitting up into the air intake and into the throttle body, its clean as now. Plus the stainless steel catch can looks pretty sick. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 8, 2006, 02:29PM by Kranzy »

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #11 on: Mar 8, 2006, 02:28PM »
Would look fully sick...keep the profanities to a minimum please.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"