Author Topic: brake line installation  (Read 1340 times)

Offline timmy

• antrx.com senior member
  • whatever floats your boat
brake line installation
« on: Feb 22, 2005, 12:35PM »
gday all,

im just wondering the easiest way to do this? ive taken my front wheel off to inspect the old line and i cant seem to figure out how to remove the line apart from the caliper end where you simply unscrew a bolt holding it down. this would be a great topic to turn into a diy article.

thanks guys.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: brake line installation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2005, 12:52PM »
If you haven't got one, go out and buy a 10/11mm pipe spanner. Sidchrome make a good one that is about $15.

Spray plenty of WD40 onto the fitting where the softline transists to the hardline. Let it soak.

Put the pipe spanner on the fitting, and undo. If you had the same problem i did, you'll quickly strip the hex head.

To avoid this, buy a cheap 10mm/11mm ring spanner and cut a slot in the end that fits the spanner so the hardline can pass through.

Once it's on, clamp the other end TIGHT with a pair of vice grips so the ring spanner is clamped hard onto the fitting. With any luck, the fitting should undo and be undamaged.
Then it's as simple as swapping the lines over, putting the correct retaining clips in and using the pipe spanner you bought to re-tighten the hardline fitting. Don't over tighten it cos you don't want to strip the threads. Usually another 1/8th to a 1/4 of a turn past tight is sufficient.

Then bleed the brakes.

No thread sealant should be used on any of these fittings either.
2 copper washers are required for each caliper, one on top and one below the fitting to ensure a leak proof seal.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2005, 12:53PM »
If you are not comfortable installing them yourself, it should only take a brake shop about 30mins to do.

Offline timmy

• antrx.com senior member
  • whatever floats your boat
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:53PM »
sweet thanks.  i did end up trying to undo that hex head and it started to strip so i stopped. i might give it another go tommorrow