Author Topic: R31 Skyline -V- Trx  (Read 24047 times)

BlakeyBoyR

R31 Skyline -V- Trx
« on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:30PM »
  OK, Ive been looking around and taken advice off a few of you. I was wondering though, which car would have more grunt (Ie. the ability to destroy charades off the line), the skyline or the TRX ? I was under the impression that the skylines produced around 140kw and the TRX around the high 80s ? I really love the look of the TRX but if theres a huge performance difference then it will obviously influence the choice. I figured if you guys dont know then noone will

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:R31 Skyline -V- Trx
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:47PM »
Std R31's are slugs. A trx will chop them easy.

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:55PM »
Ahhh ... the R31 are 114kw ... not 140 :P My bad ! Ok then, so R31s cant take a TRX, suits me, I think the R31 looks crap anyway !

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2003, 03:12PM »
Not a fan of the R31 a big bit of poo which gives nissan a bad name and a trx should flog em

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2003, 04:33PM »
i think u would of been thinking of the 2.5 non-turbo engine in later model skylines.
137kW in the R32 and 142kW in the R33 (i think)

P.S. anyone know how fast a NA R33 is?
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2003, 04:34PM »
hehehehehehe in my auto ka24e, i keep up with r31s till top of 2nd, then i just cant handle it... maybe the lost gear or something, that wasnt a real race or anything though, maybe one day i'll let you know when both of us go at it seriously

but top speed theres about a 10-15km/h diff between my car and my mates.....
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2003, 12:42PM »
P.S. anyone know how fast a NA R33 is?

They are gutless as dogshit! For the weight they have to pull around, 0-100 in 9 secs isn't uncommon, especially from the auto....

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2003, 01:24AM »

They are gutless as dogsh*t! For the weight they have to pull around, 0-100 in 9 secs isn't uncommon, especially from the auto....

the reason i ask is that a chick i know is getting a bright yellow manual one.
And i cant wait to drag her in the magna, especially as all my rates reckon i will get blown away.
my magna does a low 8 sec 0-100, so i think it will be interesting
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline SKY-031

• antrx.com junior member
  • R31 Skyline Club
    • R31 Skyline club
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:02PM »
Come on guys, stop kidding yourselves.
......honestly...   ::)

I mean, I've never seen a U12 Pintara run at Calder... which more than likely means that they don't go to fast...
Yeah sure, they look good, but how much money to you need to spend on one to make it boogey?  :-[

If you are after power, it's just no contest... the R31 wins every time.
You don't need to spend a truckload of money to get it running 14 second (or lower) quarters.

Stock, if you are looking at a difference of 30kw, I still know which one I'd choose.
(Not that I'm biased ;))
I love the look of the U12.
But when it comes to power, the R31 will win hands down every time.
 ;)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:09PM »
* now falling in love with R31 skyline chick as her comments bring back warm, fuzzy memories *

hehehe  :P
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:47PM »
Come on guys, stop kidding yourselves.
......honestly...   ::)

I mean, I've never seen a U12 Pintara run at Calder... which more than likely means that they don't go to fast...
Yeah sure, they look good, but how much money to you need to spend on one to make it boogey?  :-[

If you are after power, it's just no contest... the R31 wins every time.
You don't need to spend a truckload of money to get it running 14 second (or lower) quarters.

Stock, if you are looking at a difference of 30kw, I still know which one I'd choose.
(Not that I'm biased ;))
I love the look of the U12.
But when it comes to power, the R31 will win hands down every time.
 ;)

I doubt it. A 2.4 Pintara is quicker in a straight line than a std Silhouette.
As for spending too much money...i spent probably $1200 in total doing headwork with a mild cam. I chopped 2 VN's by many car lengths a couple of weeks back.
No to mention also racing an R33 GTS-T with an exhaust, it only started pulling away (quite slowly may i add) after 90km/h.
You WILL see me down at Calder in the near future.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:52PM »
let us know when you go sssgtr, we'll make a night of it  ;D

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Bluprint

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Nissan R31 Series 3 Skyline Silhouette
    • Cruise Pics
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2003, 07:18PM »
Which one's better?
I own a Skyline and my parents own a Pintara, which I drive quite regularly. So I reckon I may be just as well qualified to judge as anyone here.

My judgements here are restricted to my knowledge of the 2 specific cars I've driven, other cars may be different.

The Skyline is an R31 manual series 3 GX wagon. Well kept, strong engine with high km (305,000km), and a 4.11:1 diff.
The Pintara is a U12 automatic TR-X. The whole car is immaculate, strong engine with 190,000km.
So basically both are completely stock except for the Skyline's diff, which could actually be a handicap in a drag race, forcing an earlier upshift.

WHICH IS FASTER
0-100km/h = The Skyline, by about 3 car lengths. Against a manual TR-X could go either way.
0-400m = Again the Skyline continues to pull away further. Don't know against a manual TR-X.

WHICH HANDLES BETTER
The Pintara does of course, it has well tuned sports suspension & an LSD. I'd like to see against an R31 Skyline Silhouette, should be interesting, not sure out of that.

WHICH STOPS BETTER
The first time both do a hard stop, they both pull up hard, but over continuous hard stops, the Pintara holds up better. Il'l let you know what happens once the Skyline gets new discs.

There you have it, let the flaming begin.

Now.....
Posted by: beefy_trx  Posted on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:12PM  
Not a fan of the R31 a big bit of poo which gives nissan a bad name and a trx should flog em  

How do R31's give Nissan a bad name do tell me please how?

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2003, 07:20PM by R31Wag00n »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2003, 07:22PM »
The Skyline is an R31 manual series 3 GX wagon. Strong engine with high km (305,000km), and a 4.11:1 diff.

thats probably a little unfair then, apparently the 4.11:1 diff makes a shitload of difference to the performance of an r31

How do R31's give Nissan a bad name do tell me please how?

i'm not too sure on that one myself.. i thought the r31's were quite a good car. if i were to buy one though, it would be gts-x with the rb20det all the way (or maybe slip an rb25 in)  ;D

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2003, 07:39PM »
i have to agree with R31Wag00n. my sister had an r31 GXE (1987) with 225,000 on the clock. it was damn quick for its age, had a nice 5 speed gearbox. the thing i hated most about skylines was the steering; waaaay too light. i bet many accidents were caused by people steering too sharply without knowing it, especially in the wet.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2003, 08:05PM »
i have to agree with R31Wag00n. my sister had an r31 GXE (1987) with 225,000 on the clock. it was damn quick for its age, had a nice 5 speed gearbox. the thing i hated most about skylines was the steering; waaaay too light. i bet many accidents were caused by people steering too sharply without knowing it, especially in the wet.

i'm not saying the r31 skyline is slow, but there has never been a locally delivered r31 beat me yet. oh, except this gts.. he had me ever so slightly, but it was very close, and we raced from croydon to the melbourne zoo. that was a fun day.

Offline GTR_R31

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2003, 09:03PM »
It should be interesting to see what some of the TRXs pull on the dyno on the dyno day that is coming up and see how it compares with some of the R31s ;D

I cant say ive had a chance to run too many TRXs but the ones i have havent had much luck.  :P
I would imagine that traction would become a real issue with the fwd of the TRX.

My car is modified but only a  little, maybe we could have a  challenge day at calder park. then we can  see which car is really faster.

That if you guys arnt to scared  :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2003, 09:06PM by GTR_R31 »

acsplit

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2003, 09:13PM »
noss is that a challange

ohhh but i have a stock skyline i have no chance :(

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2003, 09:23PM »
anyone got approx kerb weights for both cars, 2.4 4 cyl, vs 3.0 6 cyl, the 2.4 being a newer design, it would be a close match up in reality.  A bit OT, but the dudes with the 2.4s, do they vibrate a fair bit, as in, are the a harsh motor, or pretty smooth, i was only thinking the other day that the SR20 is a lot rougher than my old V6 2.5L.

i like the skylines, it'd be a cool car i reckon,  a rad skyline wagon with big wheels, the 6 cyl has plenty of potential thanks to all the people liking the VL so much.

i still dont see how the skyline gave nissan a bad name, although i recall the interior was a little dated by the time the cars came out, i think people were expecting a big leap from the bluebird 84-85 style, i didnt realise i like nissans as much as i do til i owned one.

The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2003, 10:23PM »
noss is that a challange

ohhh but i have a stock skyline i have no chance :(

bah!, i raced you once before champ... i had you good  ;D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2003, 10:48PM »
ok, here are the specs of a pintara and an r31 sillouette...

pintara trx specs:

length: 4515
width: 1690
height: 1390

weight: 1236

engine: ka24e - 4 cylinder, sohc, 3 valves per cylinder

kw: 96 @ 5600rpm
torque: 198Nm @ 2800rpm
cr: 8.6:1

r31 skyline sillouette specs:

length: 4653
width: 1690
height: 1395

weight: 1415

engine: rb30e  - 6 cylinder, sohc, 2 valves per cylinder

kw: 114 @ ??rpm
torque: 247Nm @ 3600rpm
cr: 9.0:1

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2003, 11:22PM »
i just ran a quarter mile with the trx vs. the r31 in cartest (both stock & all info was entered, including wheel size, tyre profile etc) and the trx won by 0.4 sec

the trx had a quarter mile time of 16.4 seconds and the r31 had a quarter mile time of 16.9

of course, i'm not taking these figures as gospel, they are just estimations by a very accurate program.

R31Nismoid

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2003, 01:42PM »
I doubt it. A 2.4 Pintara is quicker in a straight line than a std Silhouette.
As for spending too much money...i spent probably $1200 in total doing headwork with a mild cam. I chopped 2 VN's by many car lengths a couple of weeks back.
No to mention also racing an R33 GTS-T with an exhaust, it only started pulling away (quite slowly may i add) after 90km/h.
You WILL see me down at Calder in the near future.

bring it on.
i'll take any car that thinks he can match it with a 33-t and i've got a 31   :P

But i don't think silo's weight that much.
My GTS-R weighs in at exactly 1400 kg's with a full load of fuel.

And i'd imagine mine would weight more as it has 2 doors, which means extra support in the rear quaters to cater for no pillars   ???

I had a few runs with nismotrx-dale (before he swapped cars... mmm 34) in my old AUTO coupe that was stock right down to the 2 1/4 exhaust and it was surprisingly quick and he had me everytime. But even an NA RB30E would not be caught by trx. Initially they are quick but in the end i think the R31 has the legs.

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2003, 02:20PM »
hmm, usually 2 doors are lighter than 4, due to things like window mechanisms, door opening/locking mechanisims not being required, ur car should be lighter than a 4 door, and i'll take ya anytime

dude, tell us about ur car
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2003, 02:27PM by NOFX »
The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

R31Nismoid

« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:00PM »
R31GTS-R

They came with a MASSIVE front mount/t04E/stainless extractors and a dump pipe so they were the cream of the crop as far as R31's go

but mine has the added... RB25DET, R32 Brakes with braided lines.
full coil overs all round
sweet clutch

there are some other bits here and there.  It flogs you run of the mill 33 (cooler/12-14psi boost/pod/zorst) easily. and that's only 9psi with 190rwkw.
but i got a surprise for the dyno day   ;D

shaunk

« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:29PM »
Give me a couple of months and that 190 rwkw will be blown out of the water.  How does a 300kW+ twin turbo 3.5 Magna grab you?  check out www.rpw.com for details of what you'll be up agaianst.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:41PM »

you have to make these comparisons fair though. all i'm talking about it a run of the mill r31 & a trx. so that means a non turbo r31, running an rb30e and a trx with a ka24e. both with no mods.

in the real world though, it also comes down to driver skill, and also how well the car is maintained. there are variables such as engine mounts, suspension, tyres, the works. its not just the engine & the weight of the car that dictates how a race will run.

for the cartest comparison, all the figures i got were from carsales.com.au and also some enthusiast sites.

and on the dyno day, the skylines may very well pull higher figures than any trx that runs, but keep in mind the mods that everyone has made. the guys that are getting involved from the skyline club all sound like they're pretty keen on their cars & had a fair bit of work done. but i could be wrong.

i dont doubt that an r31 with $2000 spent on it will flog a trx with the same ammount spent on it. with all the support the rb30e has had from the hordes of drivers that own vl commodores & r31's you can pick up bolt on go fast equipment for a decent price. for the trx, its another story. there was only 1 front wheel drive car with the ka24e in it, and that was the u12 pintara. and until recently, when the pintara has become an affordable price for your average p plater, the pintara hasnt ever really been made to go fast. performance mods are still prohibitively expensive for the average p plater though, because there has to be a fair ammount of research done to get there, and most of them will give up & go buy vk commodores, spend $1500 on it, and it will run a 13 second quarter.

on dyno day though, i will be very dissapointed if i dont make at least 90kw @ the wheels.

DoNNo

« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:46PM »
well as u are comparing against a stock silo!
i own a stock silo so lets get a drag going

my stock silo auto against a stock auto trx

lets c who wins and stop this post and set the facts straight

R31Nismoid

« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2003, 04:16PM »
Give me a couple of months and that 190 rwkw will be blown out of the water.  How does a 300kW+ twin turbo 3.5 Magna grab you?  check out www.rpw.com for details of what you'll be up agaianst.

who's talking about magna's   ???
i'm just talking about sssgtr and the 33, i'm not here to cause trouble and try be a super hero with a TT magna.
it only would grab me if it cost $14,500 (that's the price of the car aswell)
you don't need to spend big money to have resonable performance IMO
R31's and TRX's are excentionally quick considering age/price, and with a little bit of money ontop they do go quite nicely. Of course both have strengths and weakness as one would appreciate.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2003, 04:41PM »
I'm not saying a TRX/T is in anyway going to be quicker than a turbo'd 31/32/33, i was basing my comparo on the NA RB30E's.
That R33 GTS-T i was talking about, i just thought they'd pull away much faster.
And, as for the dyno day, i'll be severly pissed if i can't even pull 95kw at the wheels.....
Besides, us U12 owners have weight on our side  :wiggle2: