Author Topic: 6 SPD FWD GEARBOX  (Read 4100 times)

Offline evlknvl

• antrx.com senior member
6 SPD FWD GEARBOX
« on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:04PM »
   Ok, I'm now at the end of my rebuild and started thinking about the possibility of hunting down a 6 spd fwd gearbox to suit my 91 u-12 sedan . Couldn't think of anything better than a grunty ka24e w/ITB's slammin my way through a 6 spd. Of course, the shorter ratio gearing would be a huge advantage for this motor too!!! LOL
   Has anyone heard of or know maybe of a box that will suit or can be modified to suit the ka powered fwd?

Offline greenbird

Re: 6 SPD FWD GEARBOX
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:32PM »
   Has anyone heard of or know maybe of a box that will suit or can be modified to suit the ka powered fwd?

Nope....

The only 6 spd FWD box that i can think of in a nissan came in the Tiida. But i guarantee that you would have a shit of a time trying to adapt one of those to a KA engine and the expense would be huge.
The good think about the KA engines is the amount and spread of torque they produce. This means that they don't require the gear ratios to be really close together to still pull hard.
With the extra gearchanging required for the 6 speed, for example, you may actually end up slower down a drag strip than with the 5 speed???
Close ratio gearboxes are usually used for engines with a very narrow torque range.
Cheers, Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:37PM »
Some SR powered cars in the US came with a 6spd box... i'm certain of it (newer models)

Search the pulsar forums mate.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:44PM »
also for closer ratio maybe have a look into gti-r rally gearset in the KA housing (afaik this should work?)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:30AM »
thanks for the info. good idea jello, good idea trying to adapt a gearset like that and still retain the 5 spd. thought there wasn't much chance of a box to suit as i've been browsing for one for quite some time withoout any luck.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:05AM »
If you have no luck with the 6 spd box, i'd suggest changing to the higher final drive out of the CA20 box; KA is 3.9 and the CA is 4.1 from memory. The ring gears should be interchangeable.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2008, 11:11AM »
also for closer ratio maybe have a look into gti-r rally gearset in the KA housing (afaik this should work?)

If you went down this path, (sr internals in ka box) you will find that you need to have custom driveshafts made up as they dont share the same size shafts. So you would need the inners to suit the box, and the outers to suit the ka hubs.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2008, 02:21PM »
ah ok, thnx kranz. good idea sss, 4.1 would be ideal and they should be swappable (hopefully). alot cheaper alternative too.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2008, 03:30PM »
The 20v primera had a 6sp gbox.

IMO, 4.1 isn't close enough, I'd be aiming for around 4.3 or 4.4

You could always have a custom final made.

I like your balls towards this mate, I've got some plans for this too, but alot more crazy :). Yours would be alot more streetable however.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2008, 04:15PM »
Trying to find somewhere in between a near daily driver and a club day car. Want it to be as streetable as possible but have the potential there to go in club days and have a blast (and then drive it to work the next day!).

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Aug 1, 2008, 11:44AM »
Trying to find somewhere in between a near daily driver and a club day car. Want it to be as streetable as possible but have the potential there to go in club days and have a blast (and then drive it to work the next day!).

I think you might end up in the same boat as me; you'll be too worried about breaking something in the "occasional" track car and not having any way of getting to work. Car trailer FTW.  :)

Chris, to be 100% honest, i'm not sure a FD that high would be suitable for KA's, even those built to rev to 7500. The honda guys use them since they have 9000-odd rpm in which to run through the gears. It would have it's benefits, but you'd just end up rowing through gears all day long. a custom gearset would be better to bring the ratios together.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Aug 1, 2008, 07:23PM »
Hmm,

Honda boys running the K24 which revs to 7500 use the 4.3FD, some even run the 4.7 :-X

That's a honda though....lol  ::)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #12 on: Aug 1, 2008, 08:00PM »
Should there be some sort of punishment for mentioning the "H" word so many times on this site, i think yes!!! LMAO. You must now visit every members ride and clean it accordingly just to remember that nissan is a far superior car, even when washing it!!!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Aug 1, 2008, 08:12PM »
meh, i'm not that kinda guy, i enjoy all types of engines.

I still like to see a nissan motor kick a honda's ass though :).

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #14 on: Aug 1, 2008, 08:42PM »
don't mind me, i'm normally a dick friday nights!!! glug glug hic glug

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Aug 1, 2008, 09:27PM »
i know it won't fit.. but didn't one of the s15 models come with 6 speed? I'm sure of it.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 1, 2008, 09:33PM »
Some of my mates who drive a S15 tell me its not much of a final gear and feels short.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline fraz

• bandit!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #17 on: Aug 9, 2008, 08:20PM »
there is a 4.4 final in some ca18e u12's
you can get out of a ukrainian prison for 2 packs of marlbro and a bottle of vodka....

Offline tazza255

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:48PM »
my ca20e pulls away from some moded ka24's i think the box from one of them would be ideal and they hold up fine too tried to blow my box so i had a reason to get another but just wouldnt happen  :-[