Author Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Fuel Pump
« on: May 31, 2006, 06:20PM »
Hey guys I got a little question.

Currently I have a LX and Atessa, (Both U13's). The LX is my old car and I need to get rid of it unfortunately its fuel pump has just died (damn my luck) so I was wondering if anyone would know if this would be possible.

I want to put the Atessa's fuel pump into the LX and upgrade to a high flowing pump in the Atessa something like a Bosch 040 in tank pump.

Is the Atessa pump a direct fit to the LX or is it different, if different will it be able to be fitted with modification? and will the Bosch 040 pump be able to be fitted in the Atessa without too much hassle?

My mechanics looking into this for me but if anyone has any info please let me know.

Cheers,

Nick
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1, 2006, 12:36AM »
I'm pretty sure the ATTESAs use a different size and shape fuel tank to FWDs. This might mean that the fuel pump brackets are different, but the fuel pump should be able to be swapped between the two brackets.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 1, 2006, 03:39PM »
on a similar related note, i wanna geta bosch pump for my attesa but would like to know which one drops in with the least modifications, anyone?

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #3 on: Jun 3, 2006, 11:42AM »
ive heard the bosch 983 was a good replacement
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #4 on: Jun 3, 2006, 01:00PM »
i got a bosch 910 pump, receipt says they had to modify the bracket,
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline speedshed001

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 4, 2006, 05:53PM »
put a intank wabro in (s13-r33)
it not hard to fit

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #6 on: Jun 8, 2006, 03:32PM »
My mechanic has just finished fitting a walbro in tank pump into my attesa and my attesa's pump has been fitted to my Lx with no problems.

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #7 on: Jun 9, 2006, 11:06PM »
Have you noticed any real difference since fitting the new pump in the Attesa?

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a WALBRO 255 L/Hr pump, but I'm not sure how much the beast would benefit.  As we all know, modification $'s can be hard to come by.

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jun 9, 2006, 11:11PM »
Have you noticed any real difference since fitting the new pump in the Attesa?

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a WALBRO 255 L/Hr pump, but I'm not sure how much the beast would benefit.  As we all know, modification $'s can be hard to come by.

You don't get a performance increase with a new, higher flowing fuel pump. It's just cheap insurance when increasing boost (hence fuel) to make sure the pump can deliver an appropriate amount of fuel that the engine needs.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 9, 2006, 11:13PM »
Yep, so basically you won't notice a difference unless your current fuel pump can't supply enough fuel for your engine.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #10 on: Jun 9, 2006, 11:37PM »
Thanks for the posts.  I wasn't expecting to hear about increased performance, but more about whether it may have solved any particular issue.

What are the symptoms that tell you the engines not getting enough fuel?

I'm getting vibration through the dash and front doors when I'm driving at low speed and at idle.  My mechanic couldn't find a problem and has suggested that I get the injectors cleaned.  She produced 131kw (all 4 wheels) on the dyno and doesn't seem to be starved of fuel during hard acceleration or high speed.  Any thoughts?

By the way, the Walbro pumps are selling for about $135 on Ebay.
« Last Edit: Jun 9, 2006, 11:40PM by bluesr20 »

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2006, 09:14AM »
I cant give you any details of how my car has performed since the new pump, because I don't get it back for another hour or so. but as bungs and jono said there wont be a performance increase, I got it basically because number 1 it is new and number 2 it will support further modification down the line when I get to the changing injectors stage. Most people upgrade the fuel pump at the same stage as the injectors, pressure regulator and ECU, I just took the opportunity to do it now as I had a reason. Justifiable modification I guess.

Ill give you the full details of what pump I have when i get my car back today. I just let my mechanic choose the pump as they know better than me in that area.

Apparently the pump is $450 fitted.

If you are gonna upgrade the pump with something off ebay be careful because Walbro and Bosch pumps are often copyed.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2006, 03:27PM »
if ur car is vibrating its probably more of an engine/gearbox mount problem
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2006, 12:00AM »
See below links for what the U13 Attesa fuel pump looks like.  The third picture is with a Walbro GSS-341 next to it for comparison.  I'm still yet to install the Walbro fuel pump.

http://users.tpg.com.au/sixshot/U13 Fuel Pump 1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/sixshot/U13 Fuel Pump 2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/sixshot/U13 Fuel Pump 3.JPG
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2006, 04:33PM »
hey jimmy, whats that plastic bit thats around teh pump? when the mechs pulled my pump out it didnt have that and also the sock was different (its an upgraded pump hence)

however ive got fuel surge problems when less than 1/2 tank not too sure why, cause the pump is apprarently sitting as low as possible...

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2006, 05:10PM »
Yer I have surge problems with my walbro when my tanks lower than 1/2. I'm getting a surge tank installed asap. The plastic bit around the pump is just the cradle isnt it?

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2006, 11:47PM »
did use ur original fuel sock? with a surge tank, you need another external pump... has anyone upgraded their pump successfully? that is dont get any surging

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #17 on: Jul 3, 2006, 01:05PM »
As previously mentioned, it is the fuel pump cradle.  This cradle slides into the tank on a mount.  I'm pretty sure it should have come with it or something similar to suit the pump you have otherwise how was it mounted in your tank?  I'll let you know how my fuel pump upgrade goes when I have done it.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #18 on: Jul 3, 2006, 02:32PM »
Hi guys Re: the walbro fule pump, I have an issue with surging and my mechanic said I would need a surge tank. After talking to a mechanic at Croyden Racing he told me that the car should not be surging and should not need a surge tank, he said that the pump has most likely been installed wrong. So I will be getting them to have a look at it and to fix up mistakes from other mechanic. Ill let you all know how it goes.